Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 15:11   #91

Boat: Island Packet 380
Re: A Defibrilator on Board ? Good Idea ?

I'll do a hip replacement for you. My only experience is via my husband who has had 3 done. You don't mind being the first, do you?

I sense a merging of this thread with the one on "how to make money while cruising".
Old 08-03-2011, 15:19   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Defibrilator on Board ? Good Idea ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
I'll ask what they think about a defib over on the $500/month thread.

Could any of you guys do a hip replacement for me? Maybe just add a
zirk fitting?

Thanks-
Kenny
Nope.... but try this if its not to bad yet...
Include in your diet: fresh vegetables
fruits (especially pigment-rich berries since they contain anthocyanidins, which enhance collagen matrix integrity and structure)
whole grains
flax seed oil
deep ocean fish (anti-inflammatiry omega 3 oils)
nuts, soy products and beverages (hormonal support).
Drink 2 liters of fresh water daily.
Avoid sugar, refined flour products, processed foods, fast foods, saturated fats (animal and dairy products), hydrogenated oils, and nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, tobacco).
Include extra fiber in your diet by adding 1 Tbs. psyllium seed husk fiber and/or 5-8 Tbs. Flax seed meal and/or oat bran daily to diet. Remember to increase water intake to keep things moving.

Osteoarthritis & Nutritional Supplementation
The following nutrients have been shown to be deficient in patients suffering from osteoarthritis, so supplements should be taken:
  • Vitamin C: 1000 mg 3 times a day with meals
  • Vitamin E: 400-800 IU daily
  • Zinc: 30 mg daily
  • B6: 50 mg daily
  • Copper: 2 mg daily
  • Boron: 5 mg daily
  • Glucosamine Sulfate: Although previous studies showed that this joint cartilage precursor may promote cartilage regeneration in affected joints, relieve pain, and repair damage, recent research questions its effectiveness. Some people with osteoarthritis experience an improvement in symptoms after at least 6 weeks of taking this supplement. The usual recommended dose is 500 mg 3 times a day.
  • S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM): SAM improves swelling, early morning stiffness, range of motion, and pain relief. Take 1000 mg daily for 2 weeks, then 200 mg 2 times a day.
  • Flax Seed Oil: Flax seed oil is an anti-inflammatory. Take 1-2 Tbs daily.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 15:51   #93

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Nope.... but try this if its not to bad yet...
Include in your diet: fresh vegetables
fruits (especially pigment-rich berries since they contain anthocyanidins, which enhance collagen matrix integrity and structure)
whole grains
flax seed oil
deep ocean fish (anti-inflammatiry omega 3 oils)
nuts, soy products and beverages (hormonal support).
Drink 2 liters of fresh water daily.
Avoid sugar, refined flour products, processed foods, fast foods, saturated fats (animal and dairy products), hydrogenated oils, and nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, tobacco).
Include extra fiber in your diet by adding 1 Tbs. psyllium seed husk fiber and/or 5-8 Tbs. Flax seed meal and/or oat bran daily to diet. Remember to increase water intake to keep things moving.

Osteoarthritis & Nutritional Supplementation
The following nutrients have been shown to be deficient in patients suffering from osteoarthritis, so supplements should be taken:
  • Vitamin C: 1000 mg 3 times a day with meals
  • Vitamin E: 400-800 IU daily
  • Zinc: 30 mg daily
  • B6: 50 mg daily
  • Copper: 2 mg daily
  • Boron: 5 mg daily
  • Glucosamine Sulfate: Although previous studies showed that this joint cartilage precursor may promote cartilage regeneration in affected joints, relieve pain, and repair damage, recent research questions its effectiveness. Some people with osteoarthritis experience an improvement in symptoms after at least 6 weeks of taking this supplement. The usual recommended dose is 500 mg 3 times a day.
  • S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM): SAM improves swelling, early morning stiffness, range of motion, and pain relief. Take 1000 mg daily for 2 weeks, then 200 mg 2 times a day.
  • Flax Seed Oil: Flax seed oil is an anti-inflammatory. Take 1-2 Tbs daily.

"Turn-around-Phil" and he's a doctor.
Thanks for the tips.
Before ma passed, she insisted eating shark cartilage helped her but like I said, then she died.
I had it replaced last year after waiting way too long. You should see the scar!
Thanks again though Phil.
Kenny
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 16:38   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Defibrilator on Board ? Good Idea ?

Damn Kenny... n I thought Shark n Bovine cartilage was bad for you... ahh well...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 22:07   #95

Hmm. You seem to have an undue faith in doctors. Sure unlikely a lay person will attempt a hip replacement, nor would most drs for that matter. Far more likely that you will have some iatrogenic condition.
They might though unlikely have to deal with appendicitis though.
Probably not impossible given a cruising medical course and radio advice.
As for the 500 a month group yeah one suspects mostly young and more likely to succumb to poor maintenance.
I suspect the truth is that one is unlikely to have access to a level one hospital like a twentyfour seven (damn that key) catheter lab in most parts of the US let alone anywhere else.
Yo ho don't learn CPR and don't get an AED if you can afford it and are at risk. Gee neither may work. Anyway the person's life you save may not be yours and you should go to a level one hospital within 60 minutes anyway despite the fact that most people don't tee hee. One of my colleagues waited 25 hours despite known heart disease until he collapsed and the family called an ambulance. He waited some time like weeks (weeks only because he refused to leave hospital) before getting an angiogram. Had a bypass accompanied by massive subsequent bleeding , then a stroke then died. Yep do nothing or rely on level one treatment.
You have full cover right?
Hmm the medics depend on you. So go on chubby is normal so keep on with the Mc Donalds . And if some of the medics think that their ancillary staff are idiots ( understandably) then be aware that some of the ancillary staff think the medical staff are idiots (understandably).
And don't forget to put your teeth under the glass for the tooth fairy.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 22:34   #96
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Very good point that I was not aware of...quantum leap over CPR but further care to the extent you described isn't well known or taught with AED training. Thank you.
I teach Medic First Aid courses, and AED training always includes comprehensive information about the Chain of Care. Always.

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote