Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47   #1

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Put boat on the hard in Mexico

I am in Panama and will be heading up to Seattle by May 1. Just in case I have to cut the trip short I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of a good, safe and relatively inexpensive place in Western Mexico to put the boat up on the hard? I don't mind heading way up into the Sea of Cortez nearer to Arizona if that would be cheaper. The closer to cheap transportation ie flying back to US, the better.

It looks like you could walk from Rocky Point to Arizona but there don't seem to be any yards near there.

Any thoughts and experience? Thanks
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Put boat on the hard in Mexico

San Carlos on the east shore of the Sea of Cortez is one of the best... well run, secure and easily accessible by plane and car because it is on the mainland side. Friendly folks manage the place IMO... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:28   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Cap't Phil is right.
I've parked a boat there 3 times for the sumer.
They know what they're doing and if you need work done, they are talented as well.
Airport is nearby as well.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 23:40   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have a friend that hauled in Mazatlan and is in dry storage there. He told me it was inexpensive. So you may want to have some comparison.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 18:46   #5

Hi.

We lifted out at La Paz last year and can't say I'd particularly recommend it as value for money (although it's a nice place with a good airport). Speaking to others in the same situation, I wish we'd gone to Mazatlan or Guayamas. Having said that, I've recently heard good things about Atalanta yard in LP. Hope that helps.

C xx
GoCati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 18:50   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

san carlos/guaymas is least expensive and safest i have heard of. la paz is spozed to be good-i have friends in both sc/guaymas and la paz.
san carlos /guaymas was 125usd/mo for storage and low on the haulout also. mazatlan is more money now--prices were raised last year.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 05:54   #7

Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Thank you zeehag and GoCati
I ended up taking the boat back up to the Seattle area for an extensive refit. I know it will be more expensive here but at least I know exactly what is being said. Prices for storage and haul out are about the same or less than San Carlos and certainly La Paz. I think the Mexicans think is that they have a captive audience and that they can get away with changing top US dollar for their services. Their labor and real estate costs are so much less it is a really profitable game for them.

The idea of leaving the boat in the dust and heat of San Carlos plus super high airfares to and from the States left me cold. Perhaps it was a mistake but it is done now.

Thanks again and we will be done there again soon.
Old 20-07-2012, 06:46   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

What all are ya having done to the boat?
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:06   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the actual cost of labor here i am finding is quite a lot lower than in usa. except at yards where labor is 80 dollars per hour, just like good ol usa. is called dollar envy.
with rent in sc/guaymas at 150 usd per MONTH for a house, and rent in yard at 125 usd per month, i think the deal is in san carlos / guaymas. many folks do this. they hire outside help --allowed in sc/g, and go for it. parts are available, and labor isnt pricey. gotta know where to look.

there are a lot more choices than merely forna(ca)tur corp ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:39   #10

I agree labor is cheaper in Mexico. So are real estate prices which is why it is so surprising to see comparable prices to here in the Pacific Northwest where I am paying $5.50 a foot per month to keep my boat.

As for what I am having done: Brion Toss is reworking mast and rigging. Carol Hasse is working on new sails. We are working on a main with about 22% more area. Since we have a double headed cutter, the new genoa will be huge but light. The Solent will also be bigger but meant to be our everyday sail since that stay is 1/2 wire. That is massive.
New back stays will be synthetic with the ssb antenna threaded inside. We will also use synthetic for the runners and removable staysail stay. The twin spinakker poles will get new ends and control rigging. Topping lift will also will now be synthetic with lighly leveraged control on the aft end of the boom. The lazy jacks and bag will be changed to synthetic with no more bag but a truly UV resistant sail cover. All in all a lighter and user friendly rigg.

Other work will include a hard aluminum dodger, solid top rail lifeline and two synthetic lifelines. Finally I will tear the drive train apart to check and service it. Probably re-prop for greater efficiency.

On the interior........stand by, that comes this winter.

Tags
Mexico, on the hard