Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 13:32   #46

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Prince William Sound and Gulf of Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
...Agreed. SE Alaska is a surreal, spectacular world unto itself.
Shhhhhhhh...
Old 03-02-2018, 13:49   #47

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

We used Lethercoes guide exclusively on our trip last year. Could not have found so many nice places without it. We had to borrow a copy from the library because could not find one to buy anywhere we went.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 14:17   #48

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler

Auk Bay (Juneau) has terrible shopping, so do not let "easy access to shopping" be your reason for wintering in Auk Bay. Downtown harbors of Juneau (Harris and Aurora) have great shopping access, no showers, no bathrooms. Petersburg has an excellent grocery store that will take all your purchases to the harbor where your boat sits. None of the shopping options will be cheap (It's Alaska!). Boat services in Juneau are weak compared to Sitka/Petersburg/Ketchikan.

Going through a narrows, any narrows in Alaska without lights, no autopilot, at night may be a good decision for you; but it is not a good decision. Ultimately you are relying upon the "other guy" to provide you safe passage.

Winds in Southeast can be serious business and they are often greater near shore.

Have fun!
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 14:37   #49

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
We used Lethercoes guide exclusively on our trip last year. Could not have found so many nice places without it. We had to borrow a copy from the library because could not find one to buy anywhere we went.
Hey Victor,

Did you find any of the location information dated, or was it still more than adequate?

I ask because, to my knowledge, the latest edition was the 5th in 2009. I really hope someone picks up the mantle and carries on with updates to that splendid publication.

As far as I know, the Lethcoe's books are still available via Prince William Sounds Books [their self-publishing business...]

Thanks in advance.

Cheers! Bill
Old 05-02-2018, 15:24   #50

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Hi Bill

I am sure there were things that could be updated ie man made structures, services etc. I did notice I was able to squeeze in a couple of place closer than they suggested but I have a flat bottom and retractable keel. We can comfortably rest on a sandy/weedy creekbed but a keel it would be downright scary.

I will try again to get a copy but now that I am in the SF Bay Area for the winter the pressure is off.

I will admit Auke Bay does not have great shopping per se but buses go by regularly that take you near Safeway and Fred Meyer. For us Auke Bay is a pleasant and practical stop. Harris and Aurora are not since they have no bathrooms, no showers, very noisy and rough neighborhoods.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 17:05   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Hi Bill

I am sure there were things that could be updated ie man made structures, services etc. I did notice I was able to squeeze in a couple of place closer than they suggested but I have a flat bottom and retractable keel. We can comfortably rest on a sandy/weedy creekbed but a keel it would be downright scary...
Thank you, Victor.

That is what I would expect; still useful from an anchorage perspective, but dated with regard to facilities, etc.

That may change if there is another significant uplifting earthquake in the area.

e.g., Before NOAA resurveyed Prince Wm Sound [PWS] in the mid 2000s [and subsequently issued new charts...] we all used an overlay chart depicting the extrapolated bottom changes [uplift] from the 1964 earthquake. The bathometry had changed in minutes by as much 60-80 ft in some areas...

RE: Squeezing in- yes, Jim and Nancy were what I considered to be 'practical conservatives.' What they were really saying is they got in with their Nordic 40 [~6.5 ft draft...]- and provided the most conservative access recommendations... They were meticulous...

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers! Bill
Old 11-02-2018, 02:09   #52

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

We have a delay. Today we were supposed to be leaving. Instead, we are flying up to be by my mil's side after major surgery. I want to be there for her, but I am also screaming in frustration on the inside. I want to go go go go!! Looks like another two weeks for us.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:34   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

“provided the most conservative access recommendations... They were meticulous...“
I would think that is what you want from a Guide. Info about their boat and how they reached their conclusions. Then you have a basis to make your decisions. Any less and your just SWAGing.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:39   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Good choice. Anything thing else would be unthinkable if you care about your significant other.
Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.
It will all work out.
I have lived happily with the same woman for 45 years. “Happy wife, happy life!”
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:56   #55
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
We have a delay. Today we were supposed to be leaving. Instead, we are flying up to be by my mil's side after major surgery. I want to be there for her, but I am also screaming in frustration on the inside. I want to go go go go!! Looks like another two weeks for us.
Well if you have to postpone until warmer weather I’ve been throwing around a circumnav of Chichigkof or going up to Yakatat this spring just to get out. Been trying for years to get into White Sulphur springs but conditions always keep us away.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 13:20   #56

Quote:
Good on ya. I am sorry to hear of your delay, and hope all goes well for your MIL.

Looking at the bright side, the Wx tends to improve weekly this time of year [in between the foul spells...]

I can symphasize first hand; the Admiral decided to give herself a broken leg for Christmas this year. She is still in Anchorage [where she was medevaced] finishing her PT in preperation for returning to full time boat life...

A few plans were altered during the interim period- reminding us that this lifestyle doesn't always allow us to deal with unplanned events as we might if living full time on land...

In hopes your boating adventure begins soon enough...

Cheers! Bill

PS: To make a point, ask yourselves what you would have done if you were already out cruising and received word of this family emergency... It will be easier to work through those scenarios as you are dealing with your present one... The goal being to help you set future expectations for yourselves as well as family members/loved ones in such situations- as well as when one of you are the one in need of unplanned medical attention...
Old 11-02-2018, 13:46   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
Good choice. Anything thing else would be unthinkable if you care about your significant other.
Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.
It will all work out.
I have lived happily with the same woman for 45 years. “Happy wife, happy life!”
I'm the happy wife 🤷.

turtletraveling.com
Old 11-02-2018, 13:48   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Well if you have to postpone until warmer weather I’ve been throwing around a circumnav of Chichigkof or going up to Yakatat this spring just to get out. Been trying for years to get into White Sulphur springs but conditions always keep us away.
We will travel a long way for a hot spring. N once drove us down 150 miles of dirt roads to get to a tub filled with a trickle of hot thermal water squa on the Mexican border, lol

turtletraveling.com
Old 11-02-2018, 14:37   #59

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

For Southeast, a copy of "Exploring Southeast Alaska: Dixon Entrance to Skagway" by Don Douglass is an excellent guide. We used it last year on our circumnavigation of Baranof, Chichagof, and Admiralty islands. If you need any specific guidance on Southeast I'd be glad to help -especially the northern half. 38 years fishing and cruising up here.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 14:38   #60

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
We will travel a long way for a hot spring. N once drove us down 150 miles of dirt roads to get to a tub filled with a trickle of hot thermal water squa on the Mexican border, lol

There are a bunch of really good ones here in Southeast too.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska