Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 15:35   #1

Canadian Maritimes Cruise 2011

I'm planning a cruise from Lake Erie, through Lake Ontario, out the Seaway, then cruise the Maritime Provinces. I expect to leave the boat for the winter, then pick up the cruise again in 2012, eventually ending in the Bahamas, maybe by December 2012 or January 2013.

Looking for info including "local knowledge", sources for cheap or free charts, ports to visit, safe anchorages, possible yards for winter storage, and even crew.

Everything is still in the planning stages, so any and all input is encouraged and welcome.

Murph
Murphiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 18:41   #2

Boat: Beneteau
Send a message via Skype™ to Old Hand
Hello Murph,

I'm planning a similar cruise next year and I'm wondering if there are more boats going? I will be returning since I do not have the luxury of leaving the boat and coming back the following year. What time of year do you plan to leave. I was planning to head down river the middle to the end of May. If there are any more boats doing this I would love to talk this winter.

Old Hand
Old Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 08:55   #3

Ahoy, Old Hand!

I'd like to keep in touch, we can probably learn from each other and, hopefully, others as well.

I know I'll need crew to traverse the Welland, so I'm thinking of using Memorial Day Weekend to do that. It is more likely I can get friends to help crew on a long holiday (US) weekend.

Charts & cruising guides are important items to me at this point, as my review of them will guide my planning from there. I've heard/read that a guide "A Complete Cruising Guide to the Down East Circle Route" by Capt. Cheryl Barr is a must, but I haven't coughed up the dough to buy it yet.

I'm very interested in hearing from others planning this trip or even better those who have done it. I have found to online logs of folks who have done this cruise: Adventures of the Jubilee: Canadian Maritimes and BlueJacket Trip Reports for 2008
I have not read either in their entirety, but will soon.
Murphiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 11:37   #4

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
If you are coming through this way send me a pm. Halifax is great City and I will make sure you are well looked after.

Shawn
Commodore SYC
SYC - The friendliest club in Halifax - Home

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 19:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau
Send a message via Skype™ to Old Hand
Thank you!

Thanks for the warm welcome. When I get to Halifax I wil come and look up the club.

Regards, Ron O.
SV Old Hand
Old Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 10:39   #6

Boat: Hunter 28.5 & Tanzer 22
Check out our friends blog about sailing all around the maritimes. It is very informative Sailing Obsession they just got back from doing the bra d'or lakes in nova scotia, listed in the top 50 places to sail before you die. Don't miss coming to PEI while you are in the area, beautiful anchorages, scenery and fishing. We have a number of good marinas which our friends talk about in their blog since they have stayed at most of them. Enjoy your trip!