Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 11:00   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Re: What legal liability does an authorized skipper have if they are not the owner?

A signed bill of sale would would help. I donated a car and signed the title had a bill of sale stating date and where is how is. Several months later I got a towing and storage bill from the next town after it had been impounded for being abandoned. I produced the recept showing I didn't own it and all was good.
Old 18-03-2015, 11:19   #17

Re: What legal liability does an authorized skipper have if they are not the owner?

@ JeffBurright

Hi Jeff, I presume if you're still "technically" the owner you're still "TECHNICALLY" liable for anything occurring with your vessel.

Additionally,I add that if/when ownership transferred,under many circumstances a previous owner may be found liable for new owners' damages/liabilities !
Cross your Ts and dot your I s !!! Don't be lazy do the research needed for correct contractual documentation.

All the Best.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 11:23   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post
Fair point, but I was always fond of the one that goes, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

I'd say that a little faith never hurt anybody, but then again . . .

It's the, "but then again." that could put you in the poor house in this situation. I own a piece of business property. Gave the business to my son and get no rent. He will have to wait till I die because of taxes. I still carry 1 M in insurance, in addition to what he keeps, just so I'm not in the poor house and he gets nothing. The buyer could be a great guy and sink someone's mega yacht. I doubt they wouldn't come after you and maybe rightfully so, legally.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 13:22   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

And as the owner of a "vehicle" if you are in a "vicarious liability" state, you're still screwed.

The OP really needs to check out his STATE laws with a competent attorney.

Fifty states, eleven insular possessions, one District of Columbia. 62 separate sets of laws, to start with, in the US alone. Sometimes changing twice every year, as new ones go into effect.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 13:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
And as the owner of a "vehicle" if you are in a "vicarious liability" state, you're still screwed.

The OP really needs to check out his STATE laws with a competent attorney.

Fifty states, eleven insular possessions, one District of Columbia. 62 separate sets of laws, to start with, in the US alone. Sometimes changing twice every year, as new ones go into effect.
I must have missed the part where he said he was American or in a state.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 13:51   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I must have missed the part where he said he was American or in a state.

It just sounds like the OP wants to be a nice guy. However, his being a nice guy may not be the best thing to do as far as liability.

I think he worked it out.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:48   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"We are Jeff and Harmony, a couple of Pacific Northwestern homebodies"
From the OP's blog, which also happens to be on a .us domain name. Yeah, you missed that. Plus his name sounds Colonial, and his writing sounds like American English not British, Ozzie, Kiwi, or South African.
And vicarious liability laws aren't just a US concern, I'm sure. You can still be caught up in them in other jurisdictions.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:52   #23

.us blog, sounds reasonable.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 18:17   #24
Marine Service Provider

Regulators (Coast Guard, etc.) go after operators for violations, licensed or not. Injured people or damaged property go after both operators and owners and any other deep pocket standing around. If you have a deep pocket and/or good insurance you will be sued.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:59   #25

Respectfully, this is a maritime law circumstance, and the rules relate to either coastal sovereign waters(and their rules) or international ones.

The question is not specific enough to be answered.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post
Hi all,
I am interested in understanding better the legal risks of naming a non-owner as the authorized skipper/captain of a vessel in the owner's absence. Does the skipper assume full liability for the boat and its operation, or are some risks still attached to the owner?
Thanks!
I'm not a legal, but my understanding is the owner never gets out of liability, most anywhere, land water etc. Especially if the owner is the deeper pocket.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, skipper