Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 22:04   #1

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
Question Teach Piano?

Does any one teach piano from your sailboat?
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 22:43   #2

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Leslie - that has been a topic around here quite a bit over the past year, though more in the context of doing so during open-ended traveling (which obviously gets in the way of developing a long-term connection with students). But if you're live-aboard, why not? My biggest concerns would be technical (temperature and humidity variations), though those mostly go away with a decent digital. I have the Roland RD-700SX shown in the photo below, though that's a bit much to take aboard as I have no place to leave it permanently set up... more likely, I'll use a much more portable Casio 88-key Privia or an M-Audio ProKeys 88, and let the Mac take care of synthesis.

I'm just an "adult beginner" but discussed this quite a bit with my teacher. We came to the conclusion that it would be do-able as noted above if staying in one place, or if cruising by shifting the focus to workshops such as specific pieces, refreshers, consultations, and other "short" exchanges. There might also be some real opportunity to take a small group on an intensive "piano cruise."

A great place to get opinions from teachers about this would be over on the Pianoworld forums - delightful and friendly bunch there with a lot of serious expertise.

Cheers from up the coast,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	studio-4monitors.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	2169  
Old 07-12-2007, 16:16   #3

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
Thank you Steve,
I just started piano lessons at my land house. I've been a performer for almost 30 years...Tired Girl. Checkin every option out to make my plan work.

Love your set up!!!! I just got a 88 key Roland! I have to look at it to tell you what it is. I have 2 Yamaha's too.

I'm trying to get my stuff set up to record, (have electric/real drums, guitar, and TOO much sound equipment). That is one thing I always have to consider when lookin at boats. It will be a tight fit on my 28footer.
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 18:07   #4

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Wow, that will take some clever packaging! It's a tight fit on my 44-footer... figured I'd keep the keyboard in a case somewhere along the aft cabin sides, with all the electronics built in around the nav station. The unfortunate thing about that, though, is that it is "modal" - I tend to practice more when all I have to do is spin my chair around and play a piece to take a break from whatever work I'm doing. Having to set up would be a dis-incentive, so it needs to be really easy (I have always played flute, which is nice and portable...)

Fair winds and following C's!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ywpilothouse.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2171  
Old 01-01-2008, 20:44   #5

Boat: East Orient 32
I taught piano for a few weeks while staying put in Mexico during hurricane season. It can be done.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote