Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 16:48   #1

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Cleaning Hulls

Just wondering what others have paid to have their hull scraped by a diver? Where we are you can get a quarter of inch of barnical growth in three weeks. One diver we know charges $100 per hour. He did 4 boats last week!Would like to know what others have incountered.?
Deby
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:51   #2

Boat: 1984 CS 36
$2.50/ft plus whatever zincs need replacing.
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:09   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
$100/hour (or the per/foot equivalent) is pretty much the going rate wherever hull cleaners are paid a living wage. Not unusual or outrageous by any means.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:18   #4

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
The going rate in Tampa seems to be around a $1.75 / ft plus zincs.

We are at the seaplane basin at Davis Islands, the growth rate is horrendous.

I slip him extra though cause cleaning the Sam McGee's bottom is not a pleasant chore.

He is on a monthly schedule during the summer months and semi-monthly in the cooler months.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:35   #5

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Thanks Guys,
Good to know. Husband and i just got our scuba certification. We took the class initially to be able to clean the botom of our Catamaran. I didn't mind scraping the bottom ( I usually look for any excuse to get in the water during our hot weather) but I was doing a less than perfect job where I had to dive down scrap and come up for air. When we signed up for the class we found out what the going rate was around here and were pretty surprised. Might be a way we can supliment our cruising kitty. We will definately have plenty of opportunity to practice.
Thanks again
Deby
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 18:31   #6

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
in SW FL we pay $2 a ft with a discount of $10. a month if you are on a monthly contract, and believe me in this hot water, these guys earn it!
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 21:14   #7
cruiser

I figured out a simple way to clean most of your hull, even at sea. Loop a rope around your hull , in front of the keel, from one side to the other. Then saw it back and forth under you hull, gradually working your way foreward. Then do the same between your keel and skeg. You can tie a bit of carpet on it for more scrubbing action ,or put some foam floatation under the carpet, or invent other devices to do the job.. Only works with fin keelers or twin keelers. Doesn't work with full length keels. Doesn't get all your hull , but sure gets a lot of it.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 21:59   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I figured out a simple way to clean most of your hull, even at sea. Loop a rope around your hull , in front of the keel, from one side to the other. Then saw it back and forth under you hull, gradually working your way foreward.
Do you really care so little about your bottom paint that you would scour it with a rope in some vain attempt to clean it? No offense, but this can hardly be considered proper boat maintenance.
Old 02-08-2010, 22:07   #9

Is that per ft of boat length or per sq foot of boat bottom?
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 22:08   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Is that per ft of boat length or per sq foot of boat bottom?
Hull cleaners usually charge by boat length.
Old 02-08-2010, 22:20   #11

fstbttms thanks
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 15:17   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Do you really care so little about your bottom paint that you would scour it with a rope in some vain attempt to clean it? No offense, but this can hardly be considered proper boat maintenance.
Definition.
Proper- that which works
Improper- that which doesn't work.
Use hard antifouling and it wont be a problem. I haven't been that impressed with ablative. Either it works while moving and doesn't when stationary,or vise versa.
When you are cruising the South Pacific, far from any haulout, and your bottom is covered with weed, you do whatever works. Those of you who have always had the luxury of an affordable, regular haulout nearby, all the time, have trouble comprehending the situation.
Sorta like culture shock
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 15:44   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When you are cruising the South Pacific, far from any haulout, and your bottom is covered with weed, you do whatever works.
What works is cleaning your hull before it is covered in weed. In the water, by hand.
Old 03-08-2010, 15:55   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the good thing about using same diver repeatedly is that diver can tell you the condition of your hull --under the crud growing on it----is often a good thing to know.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 16:42   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I do that to make a few dollars and keep out of the heat. I charge between $2 - $3/ft of waterline length, not overall length. The dirtier the water, the higher the charge. The more grief I get, the more I charge. If you're boat hasn't been cleaned in months (or you can't remember) then the cost goes up.

As for the rope idea, there are a lot of areas that the rope won't reach. A look at most any hull will show a pronounced rise between the keel and the hull. You'd be missing most of the hull, probably damaging the bottom paint, and miss the tough sections.

I also clean the hull with a variety of tools. If you've got hard bottom paint then I can use a slightly stiffer brush and paint scraper to get things clean. If you've got the soft ablative paint then I use a softer brush and am even more careful with the scraper.

Since I charge by the foot, not by the hour, the time it takes is the time it takes. I check the zincs, look at the knot wheel and depth transducer, and give the bottom a careful look. In most cases I take pictures; before and after, to show the results as well as pics of the zincs and any problems.