Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 16:13   #31
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: Buying, Fixing, and Equipping a Monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yup...I guess in a sense this forum is moving away from sailors drinking a few beers to Yachties sipping Chardonnay in Waterford crystal.
You got that right. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be banned from this site if I didn't..... shape up.

A heated discussion is to be expected considering the varying opinions and old salts that frequent this website. I say let it rip as long as you are not cussing someone out. Our moderators appear to be too concerned about us being rude to each other and not hurting each others feelings. Give me a break and poor me another beer.

RT
PS That mindset would turn you to chum on some of the sites I participate in.
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:29   #32

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Wow...guess I missed the fun. But in response to the orinal questions regarding specific boats, clothes, etc. I suggest the poster get on a crew board (perhaps on this forum), do some sailing and find out what he needs/likes/doesn't like. Probably good boat shoes, a decent set of weather gear">foul weather gear and some non-cotton layers would be a good place to start. Don't go cheap on the foulies. Maybe subscribe to some sailing mags like "Sail", "Cruising World" and "Practical Sailor". There's a lot to know and he's just trying to shorten the learning curve.
Old 17-09-2012, 17:02   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
You got that right. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be banned from this site if I didn't..... shape up.

A heated discussion is to be expected considering the varying opinions and old salts that frequent this website. I say let it rip as long as you are not cussing someone out. Our moderators appear to be too concerned about us being rude to each other and not hurting each others feelings. Give me a break and poor me another beer.

RT
PS That mindset would turn you to chum on some of the sites I participate in.
I was told in no uncertain terms not to take shots at the Mods. Matter of fact had the particular post I did take a shot at was removed...and I didn't even swear...(not enough beer).
All in all, they do a good job. That being said, it is the members that make the forum and not the Mods. Hopefully they just help facilitate some threads going sideways and not worry too much if a bunch of beer swiggin, non-spell checking sailors having a good time.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 23:14   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I was told in no uncertain terms not to take shots at the Mods. Matter of fact had the particular post I did take a shot at was removed...and I didn't even swear...(not enough beer).
All in all, they do a good job. That being said, it is the members that make the forum and not the Mods. Hopefully they just help facilitate some threads going sideways and not worry too much if a bunch of beer swiggin, non-spell checking sailors having a good time.
You've got pretty good idea of how it works. Nobody cares much about your spelling, and if you have go at someone in a good-natured way, that's ok too. It's when people start calling each other body parts and the thread starts to turn into a brawl, where nothing useful is being said and people just start getting pissed off at each other, that we have to step in. In such cases we also have to cut responses to unacceptable posts, to maintain continuity of the thread. Believe me, it's no fun for us. It's a lot better when people simply keep themselves in hand.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 23:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Nobody cares much about your spelling,
Apparently not all...See post #10
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-09-2012, 23:51   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Apparently not all...See post #10
Well, you're unlikely to get sanctioned for it, anyway
Old 17-09-2012, 23:57   #37

I greatly appreciate the help from mods concerned with thread continuity. Their take on the "etiquette", I do not agree with, but dad's house, dad's rules...
I also appreciate the help of those who took the time to understand where my questions came from, even though they were vague. Anyways, to further clarify what I am looking for are simplified (as possible) answers to what people find important personally. My favorite responses have included tips such as multiple oars and why, non-cotton clothing, ect. Little bits of information, things that perhaps could get looked over, even if they are glaringly obvious too you.
If you have a favorite brand of weather proof jacket please feel free to post it, and if you feel that this thread sticks too badly of "newbie", then please refrain from commenting. I am sure there are other threads that would better suit your interests.
I appreciate the advice to take walks down by the docks, and I have. Unfortunately, the docks where I live are 30 mins out of town, and oh yeah, in the middle of Nebraska. Oh boy, now I have probably opened pandora's box, but still land locked or not I will cruise, eventually. Anyways, "just trying to shorten the learning curve". So, let the thread roll on, or not...(I'm hitting myself for allowing email notifications every time a user posts)
m_kcisoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 00:14   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The best advice I can give you is buy a Laser, or if you prefer, some kind of modest day sailer, find an instructor, or a course, and start sailing on the lakes around you. If there is any racing where you are, this is great fun and the absolute best way to learn about sail trim and basic boat handling.

Like that you'll make some friends with more experienced sailors. Get a group of them together and go charter a sailboat in the Carib. Do that once or twice a year, and between that and your weekend lake racing, pretty soon you'll have a good basic understanding of what sailing and cruising is all about. In parallel with all that, you will have time to save money to eventually buy your own cruising boat.

That's about it. Don't worry about gear and clothes now. There will be plenty of time for that later. First thing is to get out on the water.
Old 18-09-2012, 00:20   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here you are: http://www.lincolnsailingclub.org/

They race Snipes, a fantastic little boat.
Old 18-09-2012, 00:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The best advice I can give you is buy a Laser, or if you prefer, some kind of modest day sailer, find an instructor, or a course, and start sailing on the lakes around you. If there is any racing where you are, this is great fun and the absolute best way to learn about sail trim and basic boat handling.

Like that you'll make some friends with more experienced sailors. Get a group of them together and go charter a sailboat in the Carib. Do that once or twice a year, and between that and your weekend lake racing, pretty soon you'll have a good basic understanding of what sailing and cruising is all about. In parallel with all that, you will have time to save money to eventually buy your own cruising boat.

That's about it. Don't worry about gear and clothes now. There will be plenty of time for that later. First thing is to get out on the water.
I am doing these things. With all do respect, it is responses like this that do not progress the thread.
m_kcisoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 01:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kcisoh View Post
I am doing these things. With all do respect, it is responses like this that do not progress the thread.
Not sure that it's the thread that is not progressing. You have been given sound advise that most of us years ago when starting out, followed. While I built my first boat, I studied a course at the Canadian Power Squadron and begged rides on sailboats. Those connections proved to be invaluable.
Old 18-09-2012, 01:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kcisoh View Post
Wow you really are a glutton, now you insult the Mods. I suggest you look up the meaning behind " With all due respect"

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 03:18   #43

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

As someone noted earlier - you don't, at this point, know enough to ask the right questions. Asking "Gee what kind of neat gadgets/boats/clothing do I need?" can't be answered without modifiers. such as
1- HOW MANY BUCKS YA GOT? 100k? 1000? 10,000? If you happen to have a million or more, let me know, give me your credit card and I will return with 1 complete boat, including gadgets for a round the world trip.
2- HOW MUCH SAILING EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE? none? Hmmm - better get some and we'll talk later
3- WHERE DO YOU PLAN TO SAIL? - West/east? East/west? round the great capes? Baltic? North of iceland?

and lots of other questions that you are not prepared to answer yet.

Sorry - but you need to educate yourself a bit first - then ask the questions

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 03:34   #44

I thought Dockhead's response was well reasoned and valuable. It was not clear from any of your posts the you were already doing these things. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. You should be thanking Dockhead profusely.
At the risk of being flayed alive, the best piece of advice that I was given about buying a boat, was to get the smallest boat that you need, not the biggest boat you can afford. Very sound advice.
Kindred Spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 03:48   #45

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Tbodine - I'm not completely sure how a set of oars will work on my 40 ft Jeanneau. Damn big oars in any case - not sure either I or my wife can lift them, not to mention row with them

OH - you were just kidding - not sure the OP caught that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, monohull