Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 09:38   #1

Boat: 1968 Cal 34
Send a message via Skype™ to nmjoseph
Boat Transport or Dry Dock? SD/Newport Beach

Hello Cruisers,
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread-category... This is my first thread, but I have been reading through others quite extensively for awhile now (thanks for the entertainment and endless knowledge!)
Now I am reaching out to this wonderful community to get some advice. I have a 1979 Cal 34 that I am restoring with the help of my uncle (boat owner) and my dad (Mr Can-Fix-Anything). I don't have a ton of money (I work for a nonprofit organization, aka no-paycheck organization) so I'm looking to be as resourceful as possible to keep costs to a minimum. And yes, I've been told that it would be cheaper to buy a new boat than to restore this one, but I'm actually really looking forward to the restoration process.

Here's the background info:
The boat has been on a mooring in Newport Beach, CA for 10 years, and hasn't left the harbor in 8. There is a LOT of work that needs to be done, and having it on a mooring makes it very impractical to do repairs (it took 3 trips to and from the boat just to get all of the trash, sails and upholstery/cushions off).

I live in North County San Diego, so I have thought of a few possibilities for getting this boat in a position/location/situation that makes this process easier:
1. Find a boat yard (either in San Diego or near Newport) that will haul it out and offers either long term dry dock storage or a slip for doing active work/repairs, but won't cost me a fortune.
2. Find a company that will haul the boat to my Dad's workshop (near Temecula, CA) where we have access to all the tools needed for repairs, and a lot of space to work in.

So my big questions for you all are:
1. Would you recommend finding a boat yard to keep it in, or haul it to the workshop?
2. Can you recommend boat yards, either near Newport Beach or San Diego, that offer long term storage/dry dock?
3. Can you recommend boat hauling/shipping companies (the only one I have found is San Diego Boat Haulers)?

Sorry this thread is so long... Any and all advice is very much appreciated!!! A big Thank You in advance.
Cheers,
Nic
nmjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 10:00   #2

Re: Boat Transport or Dry Dock? SD/Newport Beach

Put together a list of tasks that need to be accomplished in the restoration. Then make estimates of time to accomplish each task and the cost. Now for the fun part, a schedule to do all of this work.

You can get estimates to transport the boat to Temecula vs cost of being in a commercial yard, lowest cost wins. Don't forget the cost of your transportation to and from the commercial yard vs Temecula, it can be significant. Also put plenty of contingency time in the schedule, plan for the unforseen if you will. Good luck.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I think you need to get estimates for both and compare the cost as well as other factors.

Having done a big refit on a 26-foot boat in my backyard as well as done some projects in a work yard, my opinion is that my own space was so much easier and convenient.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:19   #4

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Given this boat is wider than 8.5ft transport over land will require permits and not be inexpensive. It sounds like an inexpensive boat, so transport to/from the water is likely more than the boat is worth. Boat yards are not cheap either, but if you can get the work done quickly, it will likely be the best bet, otherwise, if it takes months/years, you will spend more than the boat is worth on yard fees.

I'd suggest you might be better off with a 8.5ft wide boat than can be trailered to the inland shop without much expense, take all the time you need to fix it up.
Old 16-09-2013, 11:27   #5

Boat: Celestial 48

If you are working full time in a regular job, and have a lot to do on the boat, a boatyard stay in your area will end up costing more than the value of the boat pretty quick. Yard days are expensive.

The boat move should not be real expensive as Temecula is only a couple hours drive. The big issue there is how do you unload/reload the boat in Temecula from a boat transport trailer? A crane capable of that lift will be very expensive.

A thought: Buy an old low boy trailer, fab some sort of cradle or strong supports, and get boat loaded onto that via Travel lift. Pay trucker to transport trailer to/from Temecula and work on boat on the trailer. Sell trailer later.

Example:
1973 Trim Trailer, Roanoke VA - 110654390 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

Might make sense if talking a year+ project.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Given this boat is wider than 8.5ft transport over land will require permits and not be inexpensive....
I think up to 10 ft wide only needs WIDE LOAD signs and easy permit. Real wide loads may require a pilot car plus permit, which of course adds cost. Know your exact width before budgeting, truckers will need to know to give a price.

Don't forget if transporting you also need to budget for mast coming off and going back on (plus prep for road travel).
Old 16-09-2013, 12:32   #7

Thanks again for your help. I think the boat has a 10ft beam (my uncle has exact measurements). As for the permits and mast removal, when I call the shipping company, will they be able to give me quotes/cost for that process as well, or will I need to find another company that specifically handles mast removal?
Old 16-09-2013, 12:49   #8

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

The project will take 3-4 times longer than you estimate and cost twice as much. Haul it to your Dads. Any yard that can haul the boat will pull that size spar.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 12:57   #9

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
The project will take 3-4 times longer than you estimate and cost twice as much. Haul it to your Dads. Any yard that can haul the boat will pull that size spar.

yes what he said. thats only true if all goes according to plan
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 13:04   #10

Thanks ;-) I got some numbers from a yard here in SD, and it looks like $2,500 - $3,000 USD a MONTH to keep a boat there ($2.50/foot per day)!! That seems a bit outrageous...?
Old 16-09-2013, 13:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjoseph View Post
... As for the permits and mast removal, when I call the shipping company, will they be able to give me quotes/cost for that process as well, or will I need to find another company that specifically handles mast removal?
Shipping company will quote based upon end locations, weight, width, length of load and how long they have to wait to have someone load and unload. If boat mover they will include costs of securing load (including mast).

A boatyard will quote you for hauling boat out of water and putting on trailer, and for pulling mast off.

Call these guys: Driscoll Mission Bay - Boat Yard
They can quote you what it would cost to load onto a trailer. They can also quote you what it would cost should you choose to do work in their yard.
Old 16-09-2013, 13:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjoseph View Post
Thanks ;-) I got some numbers from a yard here in SD, and it looks like $2,500 - $3,000 USD a MONTH to keep a boat there ($2.50/foot per day)!! That seems a bit outrageous...?
No surprise at all. That's Southern California boating.

By the way, if hull is sound and most work can be done in water, you might explore marinas. Chula Vista Marina has about lowest rates in San Diego, and will allow "maintenance work" to be done at docks. If major boat work required however, most marinas will expect you to do such in a boatyard and the slip rental agreements will say so. Check: Boat Slips San Diego - Slip Fees for Chula Vista Marina in San Diego, CA | |

I think you are finding out why old boats in poor shape in Southern California have so very little dollar value, and why a lot of boat owners might try to walk away from them (if they can get away with doing so - authorities will hunt down owners of abandoned boats and charge them for disposal).
Old 16-09-2013, 14:02   #13

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I think you are finding out that a free or inexpensive boat is neither....
The least expensive thing would be to take the boat where you can set it and work on it as long as it takes for free. But it will cost you to get it to that workshop and it will cost you again when you get ready to put it in the water. The only good thing is that you will save monthly fees and travel costs so you can put that money into the boat.
Putting it in a yard where they will let you work on it yourself is less expensive on both ends but chances are you will be there a long time so factor your monthly expenses and the haul out and back in.
Finding a marina to keep it in that will be inexpensive is another option but most likely the most expensive on a monthly basis and at some point or another you will probably have to haul out as well.
You could also try a combination....take it to a marina and work on it some....then haul it out for more work in a yard....etc.
Unfortunately the bigger the boat the more everything costs as well. Hope you can find someplace reasonable.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 14:05   #14

I've looked at Driscoll's website (thank you for looking up marinas and yards, that is really nice of you!) and that is where I got the $2.50/ft/day rate. They're the "cheapest" in the area. I also filled out the inquiry form to get on the waiting list for a slip, but I've been told not to hold my breath from other boaters. I guess getting a slip in SD is near impossible. My Grampa has been on a waiting list for 4 years already for Oceanside! He keeps his boat up in San Pedro (north of Long Beach). I've also been told that the best way to get a slip is to buy a boat that has the slip included.

I'm requesting a quote from San Diego Boat Movers now... if you don't see another response from me, it is because the amount killed me...
Old 16-09-2013, 14:56   #15

Correction: it's a 1976 Cal 34 MK II ...not that it makes any difference. It's still going to cost me a small fortune...

Tags
dock, newport, newport beach