Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2018, 13:23   #1

Boat: Islander 30' MKII
North Channel Weather

I have been looking at cruising for a month this summer in the North Channel, most likely in June. I know that the earlier in the season (i.e. water has had little time to warm up) the more unpredictable the lakes are and with this odd weather we are having it looks like the beginning of the season will be mid to end May. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on what to expect for the general sea-state and weather?
_wason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 13:36   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: North Channel Weather

June is usually quite nice in the North Channel. Perhaps a bit cool overnight (depending on your definition of cool), but usually in the low 20C as daytime highs. You could see some fog, and water temps will still be cool. Winds tend to be light, but you can always get frontal storms. Later in the summer convection storms are pretty common, but not so much this early.

… of course, with climate shifting around, who knows what “normal” is anymore .
Old 14-04-2018, 14:59   #3

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wason_ View Post
I have been looking at cruising for a month this summer in the North Channel, most likely in June. I know that the earlier in the season (i.e. water has had little time to warm up) the more unpredictable the lakes are and with this odd weather we are having it looks like the beginning of the season will be mid to end May. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on what to expect for the general sea-state and weather?
I grew up in the North Channel...June can be really nice, or it can be really cold....the water will not be very warm. The black flies will be out and seriously hungry..the blueberries will not be ripe. There aren't usually too many big storms, but not a lot of wind either. June is not an optimal month to sail there....July gets better, August if mighty fine, September is awesome..but cool at night. Really and truly, it's a toss of the dice....there will be lots of water though, a good winter for snow up there....in fact it is snowing there today<grin> Bass season opens near the end of June.....pike is open already.....good luck on your decision...nice thing about June, not a lot of other boats to contend with......not that that changes much...
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 15:35   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ah yes, I forgot about the blackflies, and the skeeters will likely be out as well. Keeps the tourists away

Funny your comment about the number of boats Gunky. I recall feeling overwhelmed with crowds in July through to about mid-August. Before and after was great. But having sailed mostly in Lake Superior, my sense of crowds were probably skewed.

Actually, once I spent a few seasons in the 1000 Islands, I learned how crowded anchorages can really get .

Tags
weather