Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 06:05   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
1974 Pilothouse Gulfstar MS53

My 1974 Gulfstar 53 ft Ketch is available for sale. I spent the last decade cruising from Boston to the Bahamas and down island to Trinidad and back. A case of terminal cancer has ended my ability to continue the cruising life so OSIRIS is up for sale to somebody wishing to own one of the best live-aboard coastal and island cruising boats.

OSIRIS has be "re-manufactured" to bring it up to modern standards in 2000 including a pilothouse, double hull, new Dyform rigging, all new electrics and electronics. and hundreds of other improvements.

Currently I am re-furbishing and replacing the worn parts from the decade of cruising so that the boat will be "ready to go" for another decade. Because of my terminal cancer, OSIRIS is now priced at less than half its market value. You will need to finish the re-furbishing, but almost all the parts and supplies are already on board waiting to be installed.

PM me with an email address and I will send you a detailed description of the boat and systems along with photos. "As is, where is" price is $73.9K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OsirisGeorgetown.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	41606  
Old 29-05-2012, 09:17   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: 1974 Pilothouse Gulfstar MS53

Damn, Osirissail -- this is terrible news. Very sad to hear it. You are one of the best contributors here, and you sail with all of us in some way. Words fail. Good luck in the journey ahead.
Old 29-05-2012, 11:23   #3

Boat: private yacht always moving

VERY sorry to hear about the situation. hope you stay in contact with CF. your advice and knowledge will be missed if you do not.
Old 29-05-2012, 11:48   #4

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I think the CF family is in stunned shock.
I always take note and know there is a lot of cred. and wisdom when I see one of your posts.
There are no words, just geniune, heartfelt wishes for the very best.

VV

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 29-05-2012, 11:56   #5

what are your plans while on land??? if you have a license you might want to consider teaching at a local sailing school.
Old 29-05-2012, 15:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
what are your plans while on land??? if you have a license you might want to consider teaching at a local sailing school.
I love sailing and was an ASA instructor for 15 years. But now my time is measured in weeks and maybe months unless I can get a brand new drug that costs more than I make and the bureaucrats will not pay for it as it is not "cost effective," primarily because it is priced up in the stratosphere here in the USA. That is a very long story but 5 years from now the drug will be mainstream, but for now I am caught in the middle of the struggle between the manufacturer and the insurance companies that don't want to pay that high price for it. If I can sell the boat I could afford the drug for one year.
Old 29-05-2012, 16:48   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

shoot, osiris--sorry to hear of your impending doom. is a hard thing to chew whenye have only to count days or weeks... dont give up--enjoy what is left and try to make it work well....and say hay to i2f john whenye get there.....he is waiting at the gates for ye.
dayummm blew my day, mon.

nothing like the overpricing of needed items --sukkkks.
Old 29-05-2012, 17:10   #8

As I stated in one of my posts in another thread, I would be one pissed off person if I did not have more than a decade of real cruising. It makes all the difference in your perspective to know that you have had the best and most blessed time cruising and meeting cruising folks from every country of the world.

We all shared one common dream, cruising on a boat to fabulous and exquisite islands and places. Be yee the most frugal of budget cruisers in well worn but seaworthy boats or well off in gleaming plastic palaces, we shared our time and talents and toasted the sunset with sundowners as equals in Mother Nature's embrace.

Having been there, done it and having two or more closets of tee-shirts from every island and rock from Boston to Trinidad, I cannot have wished for more.

Cruising couples share a bond that simply does not exist on land. A shared existence of love and life while joyfully spending 24/7/365 together - or - almost every hour and minute of everyday within touching distance of each other - and loving it, revering it, and cherishing it. Such a thing is really heaven on earth and it really exists amongst real cruising couples.

To those who have the innate thirst for travel, exploring and adventure, go now or as soon as you can. If may be trite but I know it is better to have really loved, to have really lived and to have really cruised the islands and oceans than to stay at home behind a computer dreaming and arguing over anchors or gun threads.

And if you know the Egyptian story of OSIRIS you will know what I mean. He was the God whose job was to row the boat (found in the all the tombs) - from this past existence through to the next existence.

Oh, and least I forget - I have just the boat for you . . .
Old 31-05-2012, 00:58   #9

have you looked into if the drug is available in Europe. You will be surprised at the cost difference. if it is might be worth the sail over there
Old 31-05-2012, 02:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
have you looked into if the drug is available in Europe. You will be surprised at the cost difference. if it is might be worth the sail over there
Yes - funny thing about that - the U.K.'s NHS refused to allow the use of the drug based on the price divided by the demonstrated benefits. So "JandJ" who owns the rights to market the drug reportedly cut the price 40% for the citizens of the U.K. . . . but kept it at the full price for those in the USA.

Being a "new" wonderdrug, this is a quite "normal" situation in marketing of pharma's. Years from now, I am sure it will be more reasonably priced - but that is way too late for me and 30,000 other men in the USA.
Old 31-05-2012, 02:59   #11

Have you tried getting it in the islands or the bahamas??????? there are several places that might be able to order it for you at european prices. I have found other medications cheaper i the bahamas than the states. When I was in spain, france, and italy I was able to get anything I needed by going to any doctor and saying I worked on X-boat and needed this medication. Always got what I needed without a prescription
Old 31-05-2012, 04:21   #12

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail

I love sailing and was an ASA instructor for 15 years. But now my time is measured in weeks and maybe months unless I can get a brand new drug that costs more than I make and the bureaucrats will not pay for it as it is not "cost effective," primarily because it is priced up in the stratosphere here in the USA. That is a very long story but 5 years from now the drug will be mainstream, but for now I am caught in the middle of the struggle between the manufacturer and the insurance companies that don't want to pay that high price for it. If I can sell the boat I could afford the drug for one year.
Hi there, very sad to hear this. I learned a lot reading your posts. As regards the cost of drugs, don't ignore India. It has a formidable pharmaceutical industry. Alternately, tell me the name of the drug and I will try to find it or it's local equivalent.
Regards
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32   #13

Boat: cal cruising 46

I saw a documentary on netflix called fork over knife
They were able to stop the progression of cancer by starving the tumor
Of protein. The people went on pure vegetarian diet
And the cancer faded away

Good luck
Edwin
Old 12-07-2012, 13:07   #14

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Osirissail, that's bad to hear. Damn all cancers and the drug companies' highway robbery that demands your money or your life. Good luck selling the boat, and brilliant luck in getting effective treatment. Your contributions here are among the very best.
Old 12-07-2012, 22:45   #15

Thank you, everybody for your concern and support and best wishes, etc. Until you are actually the one holding the ticket when your "number" comes up, it is hard to fully understand the final "transition" that is facing you. There are countless varieties and types of cancer and likewise countless ways each individual reacts to the various "therapies" available.

Just as there is a wide variety of types and sizes of cruising/sailing boats out there, each individual has to decide what and when and how you select your future home or path to the cruising life.

My boat has been my home for two+ decades and has given to me over a decade of continuous comfortable cruising. It is a "home" rather than merely a transportation system. So I am trying to find a new owner who can appreciate and make the boat their "home" while they join the incredible world of cruising and cruising boats.

I am hoping that it may become a new owner's "magic carpet" to adventures and experiences as it certainly has been for me. It is equipped and ready to take the next owners into their future of life afloat.

If you are looking for "your magic carpet" for yourself and your family please take a close look at this boat. It is rigged and set up for anything from single-handing up with the best and safest proven systems for a cruising lifestyle. It is not a weekender or sport sailor type boat. This is a boat to "live in continuously" and cruise the islands and coastal areas in comfort and safety so you can live the dream of cruising.

Tags
gulfstar