Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2010, 06:34   #1

Skydiving Gear Storage / Tranport?

After a last few weeks going thru threads I've been able to find answers to my questions except this one. Ok its pretty simple, once I have everything worked out for my first cruise in a couple of years I'd like to go from Florida to the Bahamas to hang out for a couple of months. While there do all the things I love, Skydiving being pretty high on the list. My concern is being able to transport my rig that is water tight. I've cruised Google with no luck in finding anything that would work. Yes I've had the thought about renting a rig from the DZ that I'm jumping but that's just one of those things I don't feel to comfortable with. So anyone that might have done this I would love the advice. Thanks in advance^^
Old 20-01-2010, 07:36   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Have you looked at Pelican cases. They come in a variety of sizes, though I didn't see anything specifically for a skydiving rig, but they can be easily customized. They're not cheap but you didn't ask for a cheap solution. www.pelican.com
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 08:09   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
How about going to CostCo and getting those "space saver bags", where you can vacuum out the excess air. You could use 1, 2 or even 3 to ensure an airtight seal.
I bought a big Pelican 1630 case for a similar purpose and it pushes the airline max weight for baggage - when empty! My parachute (reserve model for use while flying) is light and small and I'd certainly go the space saver bag route.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 09:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Have you looked at Pelican cases. They come in a variety of sizes, though I didn't see anything specifically for a skydiving rig, but they can be easily customized. They're not cheap but you didn't ask for a cheap solution. www.pelican.com
wow thanks, I hadn't seen those before and I do believe that it will work. As far as cost they are very reasonable considering that my new rig will be between 6-8k so 300-500 is worth it. Only down side I see to them is the weight but I'll deal with it. thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
How about going to CostCo and getting those "space saver bags", where you can vacuum out the excess air. You could use 1, 2 or even 3 to ensure an airtight seal.
I bought a big Pelican 1630 case for a similar purpose and it pushes the airline max weight for baggage - when empty! My parachute (reserve model for use while flying) is light and small and I'd certainly go the space saver bag route.
Zan I had though about getting one of those systems that you put the item in the bag and then use a vacuum to pull all the air out but I wasn't sure if that would cause problems with my reserve seal and AAD, (Automatic Activation Device which is used to deploy my reserve if I become incapacitated) that and a sealed box is easy to deal with than having to unseal, reseal, powre for vacum etc. great idea for sure and I'll probably take one just for a back-up. Thanks^^
Old 21-01-2010, 07:22   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I never had a reserve on my rigs (well, they weren't meant for use except in an emergency (Softie and National)) so I never had an AAD; but if you don't really put negative pressure in the space-saver bag and just use the water/humidity protection you get then that should be enough when around salt water. I have numerous Pelican cases and love them, they store everything from military gear to replacing my soft ditch bag. But weight is an issue, plus they make great targets for theft, as those who would purloin them say "such an expensive case must protect something even more expensive and valuable".
This thread prompted me to go on eBay last night and now I'm the owner of another (used) Pelican case
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote