Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 18:07   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Sailing to the Faroes and a Question re Gyroscopic Stabilisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Excellent footage there, for sure!

El P, wouldn't a fishing rod holder be a decent rail mount for the hand held stabilizers?
Dunno but my camera came with assorted 'rail mounts' including ones designed for use on bike handlebars.

I also have something that looks like this https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1IUcoL...pg_640x640.jpg which is quite handy.

I am seeing now that ones appearing to be solely hand held do in fact have a female thread in the base so that would work.... seems the handle is where the lithium batteries go.....

Speaking of which there could be issues with the batts if traveling by air...

So what are other people using? Surely I'm not the first on CF to have lusted after such a toy an indispensible piece of equipment.
Old 03-01-2018, 18:39   #17

He did something else that is rare among the vloggers. Sure, the stabilizing is awesome, but it reminded me how the keel can cause a very "rolly" passage, even when waves are mellow.
The best part for me was the audio, when there was no music. His mastery of the SOUNDS of sailing was superb! I thought of the movie Castaway, in which a whole hour was simply wind and waves, perfectly done by sound designer Randy Thom.
The wonderfully-captured sounds of the boat and the waves and the wind... even the galley in this video took me to that special place on the open seas. Thanks for posting!
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 23:07   #18

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Hmmmmm.... $549 on Amazon.... bit outside my budget for use on a $99 SJCam 4000.......

The search continues.........
That 3 axis stabilizer is microprocessor controlled and very sensitive. If you are serious about video it makes perfect sense. For a boat though, I believe a simple, weighted gimbal may be sufficient as the motion is quite slow. Think about a gimballed Origo stove - quite sufficient in any sea state. That guy is a professional, though and it shows in the quality of his work.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:40   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
beautiful scenery
learners question here,at around 7:30 is that a symmetrical spinnaker being flown as an asymmetrical?
Yes it appears so.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
That 3 axis stabilizer is microprocessor controlled and very sensitive. If you are serious about video it makes perfect sense. For a boat though, I believe a simple, weighted gimbal may be sufficient as the motion is quite slow. Think about a gimballed Origo stove - quite sufficient in any sea state. That guy is a professional, though and it shows in the quality of his work.
That is also a unit designed for a larger type of camera and that sort of price seems the norm for that type of unit. I would have no trouble justifying the price if I wanted to use it on one of my other cameras.

The unpowered purely gimbaled ones appear to be designed just for handheld use and I think would be a bit of a pest on a boat.

However I have found the SooCoo PS2 which seems to tick all my boxes, acceptable price, compact, weatherproof, uses gopro/sjcam mounting hardware, and will accept an SJCam in its waterproof case.......

Seen with an SJ4000 here

I did not realise how many of these stabilizers were 'out there'.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:52   #21

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
beautiful scenery
learners question here,at around 7:30 is that a symmetrical spinnaker being flown as an asymmetrical?
Sure was. No option for those of us without the funds for a full wardrobe. Works fine too.
For a single handing too, flying a kite without a pole as he sort of demonstrated is worth experimenting with. Much less complexity and far easier to manage. But like improvising with the sail above performance might not be be quite as good.

El Pinq what an awesome video, thanks heaps. I thought that the sound was especially good. Wonderful mix of music, wind and water sound.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:39   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That is also a unit designed for a larger type of camera and that sort of price seems the norm for that type of unit. I would have no trouble justifying the price if I wanted to use it on one of my other cameras.

The unpowered purely gimbaled ones appear to be designed just for handheld use and I think would be a bit of a pest on a boat.

However I have found the SooCoo PS2 which seems to tick all my boxes, acceptable price, compact, weatherproof, uses gopro/sjcam mounting hardware, and will accept an SJCam in its waterproof case.......

Seen with an SJ4000 here

I did not realise how many of these stabilizers were 'out there'.
Hot tip!

That would seem to be just the business for something like an SJ Cam (I use the same one!) or a GoPro. The other one would be massive overkill.

I'm ordering one myself!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:23   #23

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

D@m%!+, that was beautiful.

I was sitting here, haven't been on the ocean in four years, but I was OK with that. I was... content, I guess. I knew I was going to cruise again one day, I'd done it, I wasn't in a huge hurry.

Seeing something like that will make you buy another cruising boat. That video has brought the urge back, big time.

I need to watch a video of someone refitting a boat, that should bring me back to reality.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:12   #24
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Fantastic drone footage.
Soundtrack is truly evocative, I was immediately transported to my various blue water trips.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:19   #25

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here are some new stabilizer product releases from drone-maker DJI:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/07/dji-n...2-and-ronin-s/

The Osmo Mobile 2 is for smartphones, and seems like it could be a lot of fun for pretty cheap, especially if you just mount an old phone in there and don't worry about weather/waves/droppage too much.

The Ronin-S hasn't been released yet (nor priced), but will handle DSLRs.

Up until now I hadn't really been aware of these things. Now I must have one!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 00:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hot tip!

That would seem to be just the business for something like an SJ Cam (I use the same one!) or a GoPro. The other one would be massive overkill.

I'm ordering one myself!
Mine arrived today... happy so far.... minor learning curve re mounting the SJ4000 but I think that is just familiarisation.....

I'll take her out for a spin on the morrow... land based I'm afraid with views of the front of my truck and cows instead of dolphins..... and see how she goes re battery life etc then do a bit of a review ..

I think all the average punter needs is single axis... as long as the horizon stays steady all is good.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:17   #27

Boat: Kaufman 47

We have a handheld active gyro for a GoPro made by Feiyu tech. I believe we have the G4 which was the last model. Here's their link.

https://store.feiyu-tech.com/collect...on-cams-gimbal
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing