Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 14:49   #31

Re: Cruising for the Non-Drinker?

I love non drinkers, more beer for me.
nial
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36   #32

Boat: Scuffy 27" motersailer

Different stokes for different folks.We are all indivuals and we all should have the respect for our difference.
Love life ,laugh loud and be proud
krisbyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising for the Non-Drinker?

I think your more worried about not drinking than us 'Drinkers' are...
for me a coffee, fruit juice or just a glass of water is great... if offered... and the company is entertaining...
Adding alcohol does not 'Transform' boring people into fun ones...
if I'm bored I'll leave...
regardless of quality/quantity of 'Booze' on offer....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54   #34

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Sometimes there is a inverse correlation at work. Ever had a marvellous evening in a not particularly spotless "working" cockpit with some crackers, some raisins, four people and nine tins of "off-cold" beer? I have.

I have also had fluttering eyelids in the pristine saloons of the owners of "dock queens". Said owners wished me to partake of their excellent single malts...but the price, it was too high....zzzzzzzzzZZZZZ
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29   #35

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I find it is pretty rare to not enjoy an evening spent with fellow cruisers enjoying our sundowners, alcoholic or not.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09   #36

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I am cut to the quick, Senormechanico!... my wife tells me that when I put on my parrothead T-shirt and she hears Margueritaville, it is time to start drinking coffee! High school was so long ago, the McGuire sisters were still singing!
On a more serious note, many of our friends for health and personal reasons no longer imbibe and it is only polite to provide an alternative choice of beverage.
During the years we were cruising and living aboard we found the lifestyle was pretty conducive to partying in the evening depending on where we were but we were always thinking of the boat chores the next day or moving on to a different anchorage so it kept things from getting too far out of control.
Criusers tend to be a pretty forgiving lot but the marina/anchorage drunk finds his friends tend to be few and far between. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53   #37

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"

Sundowners are an important part of most cruisers life and we always look forward to meeting new people to have over or to go to their boat. But as someone above said, we always take our own drinks along and almost everyone that has ever come to our boat brings their beverages (and usually a snacky thing to share). It is just the way we have seen it done on the Caribbean islands we have been to. That way sundowners are not a burden on the hosting boat,often the largest in a group of friends . Often drinks are shared as well. So, obviously take what ever you want! Sundowning is all about socialization. Most sailors love to socialize!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58   #38

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I hate to say this, but if you're going to be sensitive about what other people think of your habits you probably will be offended all the time in the boating community. Some of us look down on other's anchoring habits. Some of us don't approve of other's boat names. Some of us would never leave the harbor on other's boats. For that matter, a lot of landlubbers think you're crazy just for being on a boat. Who cares what anyone else thinks!
You left out peoples' boating hats.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 17:41   #39

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Welcome to come to my boat and sip some Thai coffee. Sometimes I don't feel like drinking alchohol either.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 18:16   #40

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

The social interaction thing on a boat is going to be very similar to the interaction on land - with the previously noted exception that most cruisers don't have to get up the next morning, and my note that when cruising, people are generally the entertainment as there usually isn't a TV, commercial radio, movies or internet, so we are stuck talking to each other. Frequently over a drink.
I know people who can't metabolize alcohol, so they can't drink. Also know people who are in AA, and people who really should be in AA but aren't, and some who just choose not to drink, so it's the whole spectrum, and when people get together while cruising they do and get the same treatment as for people on land... Please don't do anything just to "fit in"...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 18:17   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if youmeet me and you are worried i might offer a beer, which i dont carry, then byo!!!!!
if you meet me and you are worried about what i drink all day, i dont really care--i drInk water and other things of my own interest. lol.i mAY WALKLIKE A DRUNK-- BUT I DO NOT DRINK..loL i my typo like a drunk, but i donot drink...NOTHER LOL.....
WHEN IN DOUBT--BRING YER OWN.... is not gonna insult me or anyone else. i swarezez....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 18:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We went out to this little bay one time and were kind of bummed that ~50% of the cruisers started drinking in the morning and basically just hung out by the one little bar all day. People can obviously do whatever they want and I'm glad they're having fun, but it's just not something my wife and I are into.

I have a beer every week or two. If there's some really important "night out" I'll get fairly inebriated but that's a once-a-year type of thing. So hey, if you run into us out there, we'd rather go on a hike or do some pullups than knock back a beer.
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but with the shoulder probs I'm dealing with for the past 10 years, I'd give up drinkin to do a pull up.
Bulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 19:27   #43

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Those who mind don't matter. Those who matter don't mind.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 16:44   #44

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Those who mind don't matter. Those who matter don't mind.
A metaphysical alternative to 'mind over matter?'
Old 13-04-2011, 10:46   #45

Boat: Tartan 4100

My wife and I both enjoy a cocktail now and then (sometimes more now than then!) but when we don't care to imbibe, we simply substitute. For instance, tonic and a twist of lime and you think you're drinking a refreshing gin and tonic. Sometimes we use diet tonic to save on the calories. Another favorite substitute is club soda and a splash of POM.
How about club soda and pinapple juice?
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising