Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 10:20   #46

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
Yep... That about covers it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2323272568.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	64503  
nolandinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 10:55   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Any photographers still use film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting a full keeler, a sextant and a Sou'Weaster too!!!!!!!

So what's wrong with that I have all three and although they look funny the Sou'Wester does a better, more comfortable job than any hood I've tried.

Back on topic, I still have about 4 35 mm film cameras from Canon and Nikon but instead I use a Pentax K-20 digital. Film is getting too hard to find and get processed. I used to have my own darkroom capable of handling up to 4x5 and would spend hours puttzing about. Does anyone still remember Zone VI? I used to be regular subsriber and customer.

Rich

ps. The other thing I prefer about film is that when I went out to take pictures I would take the time to plan. Plan composition, exposure, subject matter and so on. But now I read on some of the digital boards such as the one for Pentax of people who think nothing of going out for the weekend a shooting a few THOUSAND exposures in hope of catching something interesting. That's not photography to me. It's like hunting ducks with a chain gun.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:01   #48

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

must admit I miss my OM-2.. but for most reasons this was size and weight of current DSLR.. but thems is getting smaller finally
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:19   #49

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierahotel View Post
Also it's becoming a popular option to have great classic old lenses re-mounted for a digital camera. If you're interested in an old look which is more flattering in the skin tones, try old glass.
Last year I shot film using my Nikonos underwater system. This year I have switched to digital because the option of using my old Nikonos 15 mm lens, the ultimate UW lens on the planet, became available. It can be mounted on a Nauticam housing. The housing holds a 24 mega pixel Sony NEX7 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, MILC. Have attached a picture of a spare prop blade on the deck of the shipwreck Emperor from a couple weeks ago as an example of an UW digital image.

Am very pleased being released from the constraints of film including the limit of 36 shots per dive, not be able to instantly assess the shot, having to develop film, and lastly, having to digitize 35 mm slides. I shot mostly Fujichrome 100 and have a 15,000 slide UW collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emperor Stern Bucket 07-05-2013.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	64505  
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 12:36   #50

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Shooting film, stills or motion pictures, is like building a ship in a bottle; it's an interesting feat, but rather pointless.
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 12:49   #51

Boat: Valiant 40

I used to do a lot of photography when I was younger, some of it professionally, and toted around a Hasselblad and a Rolleiflex along with my Nikon 35mm gear. Dumped all of it half a dozen years ago and don't miss it one bit, except the Rolleiflex simply because it was an industrial work of art and an icon.

As far as I'm concerned, unless you are shooting black and white and want some of the very specific qualities of film (grain, specific tonal curve to name two), film is pretty much pointless. Digital is cheaper, more convenient, and on the level of professional gear, outperforms it technically in virtually every respect, more and moreso every passing year. DSLR's surpassed medium format film cameras in the resolution department a few years ago. Got a Hasselblad? Get a digital back for it, then you can continue to enjoy it's outstanding lenses.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 13:02   #52

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

My beloved Nikon F, the camera that started it all for me, sits in honored glory on a shelf. My Arriflex movie cameras were sold long ago, and my Hasselblad just a few years ago. I tried to keep the Hasse going with a digital back, but it was too slow between exposures and really not any better than my full frame DSLRs. Anything that can be done in a chemical darkroom can be done a thousand times better with Photoshop. Other than rather pretentious snob appeal, there is no reason to shoot film and myriad reasons why high quality digital is better.
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 11:57   #53

I love film vs digital discussions.

If I have to be somewhere at a certain time, then a motorboat is the way to go. I sail because I enjoy it. Same with cameras. For work that must be done a certain way by a certain time, it's hard to beat digital. But I enjoy film in completely different ways. It's not just a different look. Digital is getting better every day at reproducing the look of different films, but I doubt it will ever reproduce the sensation of a film canister, or roll, or sheet. If you've never tried to compose a shot looking at your scene upside down on a ground glass, you should try it. It's different. It's fun. It's an experience in a tactile way that I have yet to get from my digital camera. The anticipation while waiting on the film to be processed, if you don't do your own developing, adds another layer to the experience.

Just plain fun.
Old 27-07-2013, 14:28   #54

Nolandinsight, that was a very insightful post you made.

Maybe that is why I love film so much.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 16:49   #55
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Don't photograph much these days but when I do, it's with my old Canon F1 and a fixed length FD lens (somewhere between 24 & 600 mm). Thinking about re-building a darkroom some day (soon-ish) and returning to my old love of B&W.

Yes, it is a nostalgia thing.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:17   #56
o_q

Digital cameras generally are superior in many ways. The only reason to go to film is if you want advanced control and superior quality of large format. Or you're nostalgic, and want to develop your own film.

I am no photographer, but I want to get into it. I plan to learn lighting and composition on my DSLR. I'll start with B&W. Perhaps using a fixed lens to eliminate distractive adjustments while learning. Then I want to get into large format. It doesn't seem to cost much, and it looks really interesting.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 09:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
Digital cameras generally are superior in many ways. The only reason to go to film is if you want advanced control and superior quality of large format. Or you're nostalgic, and want to develop your own film.

I am no photographer, but I want to get into it. I plan to learn lighting and composition on my DSLR. I'll start with B&W. Perhaps using a fixed lens to eliminate distractive adjustments while learning. Then I want to get into large format. It doesn't seem to cost much, and it looks really interesting.
Here...

Light: Science and magic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0240812255

If I was only allowed to recommend one book on photography, this is what it would be. It's all about understanding how light works, and you'll be hard pressed to find a better explanation.

Good luck with your photography!
Old 31-07-2013, 18:23   #58

Im a commercial/editorial photographer who lives aboard. Use mostly Mamiya for everything and really got into instant film recently. It's great on the docks because I can hand someone a shot right there and it doesn't get lost on the computer like so many digital files do. Also you can bleach the negative that peals off the Polaroid and either print or scan in a (really really) high res digital file. I shoot plenty of other films but just thought I would share my recent inspirations.
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:04   #59
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covergirl View Post
Im a commercial/editorial photographer who lives aboard. Use mostly Mamiya for everything and really got into instant film recently. It's great on the docks because I can hand someone a shot right there and it doesn't get lost on the computer like so many digital files do. Also you can bleach the negative that peals off the Polaroid and either print or scan in a (really really) high res digital file. I shoot plenty of other films but just thought I would share my recent inspirations.
Have you ever tried developing your film on board? (if that's even feasible)
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote