Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 07:56   #316

Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
I have to chime in: Nautically, the film's play out was poor, 1/5. Someone prior gave it an existential spin, of which, I
can clearly see, but I couldn't get past the absurdity of redford's attempts at survival. The character made every
possible mistake in common knowledge seamanship and made these pathetic attempts to repair the damage to his hull which sustained a 12-16" gash by hitting a container in light seas. Ridiculous! No life line, no epirb, no vest, no sense. I was so looking forward to it and was so disappointed. I like Redford, too. He must have lost a bet.

With all due respect (and I haven't yet seen the movie), suggesting that the character should have had an EPIRB is ridiculous. Are you really complaining that he wasn't wearing a life vest? Is this the first movie that you've ever seen? Did you never realize that they always get rid of safety equipment to make the main characters look good, or to be able to make a movie?

With that kind of scrutiny, there would be no movies whatsoever. Did ya see "Gravity"? Loved it, but you have to seriously suspend some disbelief to get through it.

If movies were too close to your real life, it probably wouldn't be worth taking time off from all the excitement at home to go to the cinema.

I'm looking forward to catching this movie on DVD.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 07:58   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Come on guys... cut him some slack...
This was obviously about a 'Newbie' to CF who'd been told to just 'Go for it'... unfortunately he was outa WiFi range when disaster struck so could not call for advice..
Else we'da solved all his problems...

I've noticed that teens these days aren't willing to get out of iphone or wifi range, for fear of not getting timely snapchats from their friends.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:15   #318
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Originally Posted by Sailcat
The character made every
possible mistake in common knowledge seamanship and made these pathetic attempts to repair the damage to his hull which sustained a 12-16" gash by hitting a container in light seas. Ridiculous! No life line, no epirb, no vest, no sense. I was so looking forward to it and was so disappointed. I like Redford, too. He must have lost a bet.

Sounds pretty realistic to me... sail with non of the above.. or the life raft..
Oh.. I lie.. do have a bit of sense.. tho' some may argue different..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 06:20   #319

Boat: Traditional 30

Ok.. it took me two attempts to finish it. Its not the worst sailing movie ever. Its the worst movie ever! I only finished it cos it was a sailing movie. But I can not think of a worse movie. Any non sailor would have given up after about 30 mins.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 06:35   #320

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Ok.. it took me two attempts to finish it. Its not the worst sailing movie ever. Its the worst movie ever! I only finished it cos it was a sailing movie. But I can not think of a worse movie. Any non sailor would have given up after about 30 mins.
You don't get to the movies much do you?
Old 16-01-2014, 07:42   #321

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Didn't see it, don't want to.
Not that it matters, but Redford was snubbed at the Oscars along with Ofer-heifer and Hanks.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 08:14   #322

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
How about the script. Oh sorry there wasn't a script or any dialogue. there was one line and he shouted it. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

If that were me on that boat there would have been a rich and varied dialogue. like 'Oh **** there's a hole in the boat. GD going to have to fix that asap"
Weatherhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 08:31   #323

Boat: Newport 28

Watched it the other day. My thoughts were..boring?

Ok, so I'll give that it was definitely unfortunate that the place of impact doused all the electronics. I'll even give the benefit of the doubt as to why he didn't also have an emergency handheld, or EPIRB. Props to having an emergency glass kit on board though, I guess? And I do agree, even if I was alone, there would've been a lot more dialogue than what was in there, surely very colorful as well. No strobe on board the fancy life-raft..just... ok, I can easily see how a novice sailor, with no preparation, could be caught in the same exact situation, and be just as unprepared. However, I don't really think there's any good way to make an enticing movie, about it. There was just nothing in the movie that glued me to any of it.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 15:51   #324

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherhelm View Post
How about the script. Oh sorry there wasn't a script or any dialogue. there was one line and he shouted it. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

If that were me on that boat there would have been a rich and varied dialogue. like 'Oh **** there's a hole in the boat. GD going to have to fix that asap"
Hahah.. yep.. There would have been one Fuuuuuuck after the other- along with a few other coloured words lol. The script, or the post it note it was written on was horrific. Had it been narrated, the movie have stood a chance. Hmm.. Maybe I might download it and narrate it.. that could be fun.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 17:11   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Well, I've been waiting anxiously for months to see this movie and it never came to the cinema so I'm here watching it at home now. I thought you guys were a bit harsh with all your criticism, after all, it is just a movie. But! I've got to the bit where he goes into the life raft and I've got to say I'm not impressed.

Is it intended to be a first time sailer on an unseaworthy vessel 1700 miles out in the Indian Ocean? If that's the case it certainly does show his stupidity.

How are you watching it at home....is it out on DVD already ?
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 18:14   #326

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

The movie really needs to be seen in a theater on a big screen; otherwise, I think it would lose a lot of it's impact. I can't imagine watching it at home.
Old 16-01-2014, 18:33   #327

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
How are you watching it at home....is it out on DVD already ?
There are ways...
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 18:55   #328

Missed this movie when it came through US theatres in the fall, so was pleased to watch it in London just after it was released there a couple of weeks ago. What a huge disappointment! To add to the list of holes in the story and technical errors already captured in the comments: It was a low-budget film but surely they could have afforded a fan to blow across the water tank, Our Man and the large amount of loose sail on deck during the storm scenes? It was supposed to be shriekingly windy wasn't it?
Mirror16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 20:03   #329

Boat: Chevrier 36
What struck me almost as soon as the movie started was - what? no alarm on his electric bilge pump?

I'm assuming he does have a working electric bilge pump - if not, what is he doing in the middle of the Indian Ocean?

Why is the alarm important? Because if there's no alarm, how would he ever know if the water tank">fresh water tank leaked? The pump would happily send all the freshwater over the side and he'd only discover it when the tank was empty.

So it was pretty obvious right at the start of the movie that he was not very experienced and had not thought things through. What happened after seems pretty inevitable.

Compare this to Bill King whose boat was holed in the Indian Ocean and he survived perfectly well because he was a great sailor. There's my review of his book on my website oceanhermit com
Old 19-01-2014, 20:24   #330

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I want to see the version of the movie where Redford activates an EPIRB, calls in a distress call on VHF and SSB radios and gets rescued without ever having to open a liferaft...

It's a movie... I commend someone for actually trying to make a decent movie about sailing even if it didn't do as well as it could have. Put it in the list of three or four other movies about sailing that I like to watch when I get the itch. I think Redford kept dialogue to a minimum to make the audience think to themselves more. In a movie like Cast Away, Hanks entertains us with his witty banter with Wilson, but Redford wanted to achieve a more stoic approach. I could definitely feel empathy towards "our man" in All Is Lost; his facial expressions and body language said a lot. In the beginning of the movie during the monologue, we learn about a possible family of his, and obviously he messed up pretty bad in terms of a relationship he could have had with his wife or family. Maybe he just isn't a vocal guy and he knows that he is screwed from the beginning, so he keeps it to himself. Whatever reason, it didn't bother me having no dialogue in the film. It doesn't even bother me about not having gear on board. The only thing that really bothered me was the way the storm sequences were shot; I think they could have made the seas look alot more harrowing. In any case, I stand by my statement that at least someone acknowledges the fact that more sailing movies need to be made, and Redford at least put an effort in to entertain us. Not Oscar worthy, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie