Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 13:49   #121

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: New Zealand Arrival Levy

Watevaworks....I posted a few pages ago that, imho, Aeteaora doesnt need to defend itself.....especially to ....um, ...people, who likely dictate their views to a literate scribe who is the owner of a computer.
I suspect there are a few here whose digits are best suited to scratching armpits.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 13:49   #122

Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by watevaworx View Post
Hi, I don't need to explain how the NZ system works down here to someone who has probably never visited and probably (hopefully ) never will.
However if you are going to make the Sheep shagger statements you may find that we are a little more diversified than just sheep. Look up Rutherford , Hillary , Richard Pearce , McLaren and in sailing circles Peter Blake .
I would have to include Ma'a Nonu to make it look more current.
latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 13:52   #123

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

LATKA....for Gods sake brother.... these cretins are illiterate ....why stoop Man? Jesus!!
Old 26-12-2015, 13:54   #124

Good old Bruce and Denny H. Tenzin Norgay...........
Old 26-12-2015, 14:48   #125

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

mal education was to at least primary school level.
There was once an empire called "great brittian" (SIC), That empire disappeared C. 1946.
Once, it comprised so, so many vast and distant lands....Canada, Australia, India to name just a few.
Today, the Welsh are resentful of their dependence, most Scots ditto (sic) and a couple of counties in the north of Ireland. Financially dependent are the countries but proud Brits is doubtful.
What was once called G.B. is actually England. England is a great country by any standard sirely (sic).
My point is that it no longer has colonies and you are either dreaming of the good old days ...East India Company...Port Jackson...Burma...or else you r general education needs a little brushing up.
Sorry but true.
RNLI is fantastic, ditto Chiles navy and many others.
Australians are not colonials laddie.
During WW2 America came to our aid. ENGLAND DID NOT NOT because we were at the end of the world and thought of as the bowells (sic).
To suggest JIM Cate was trolling is as far from sanity as Tasmania is from Shetland.[/QUOTE]

Whoa dude,

The RN/England/UK DID most certainly make some WWII effort in the SWPAC, around and on behalf of Oz/NZ/etc.
A number of RN warships were lost in that theater to the IJN (and numbers of ground troops too). Granted, many of them had already been in the area when the Japanese struck.
Some had even been despatched from the home islands and India, then engaged the IJN, with heavy loss (I'm thinking of a heavy cruiser- the Wellington? et al).
(apologies for going all grammarnazi on you )

And my uncle (and namesake) died with the impact of this Japanese shore battery salvo on his USN DD (destroyer), not far north of Oz, while doing a downed pilot report SAR inshore.
The DD was running evasively from the 'ambush' near a Japanese-held island to avoid the fire that trained on her (that had been previously pounded heavily by air and major surface fleet).
The first hit starboard amidships at the waterline killed him and ~11 others instantly, with several severely wounded (1-2 passed later).

You can see the impact and effect on the DD if zoomed image, the ship actually kicks water to port as it is hit; with the miss off the starboard quarter too. Pic was taken from a bomber.
Link if the picture doesn't appear below (?, it worked in review?...)- http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0554431.jpg

Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 15:00   #126

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by watevaworx View Post
Hi, I don't need to explain how the NZ system works down here to someone who has probably never visited and probably (hopefully ) never will.
However if you are going to make the Sheep shagger statements you may find that we are a little more diversified than just sheep. Look up Rutherford , Hillary , Richard Pearce , McLaren and in sailing circles Peter Blake .
Struth Bro, I thought you were going to mention the goats..... whatever you do don't tell em about the goats!!

Chris, been past that marina but have never stopped there, heard good reports. I see there is a new one at Huelmo as well. Too many FIFOs(FOFIs?) turning up at PM these days.
Ping
Old 26-12-2015, 15:14   #127

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Yeah,you see,blind 'em with ******** first to see if that works.
I pity you if you're reduced to the government intervention though.
We, in the UK rely on, and appreciate greatly the lifeboat institution,to which we gladly give our shekels.
Hope that you're happy with your institutional obesience
Quote:
No reply eh !
So that I must assume that your statement is utter bollocks.
Do you work for the government perhaps ?
Quote:
I don't know if the cost of the lifeboat in New Zealand is covered by the taxpayer or charity,as it is in the UK.
Please enlighten me . (if you would be so kind )
little Chay, I will give it another try. The above quotes of bustermaw's inflammatory statements (listed in the reverse order of appearance due to my awkward use of the multi quote function) are the stimulation for my comments that you dislike so much.

His insistence that the Brits relied upon charity funded SAR, while we were to be pitied for dependence upon government funded SAR is what set me off.

I'm sorry that you have found my thoughts so distasteful, but I still believe them appropriate. You are free to disagree, but I resent accusations of trolling.

Jim
Old 26-12-2015, 16:23   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Chris, been past that marina but have never stopped there, heard good reports. I see there is a new one at Huelmo as well. Too many FIFOs(FOFIs?) turning up at PM these days.
Ping

Frank, I'm too skint (tight) for marinas just anchored in front of the palafitos slightly north of the Armada facility. Where is the marina at Castro? Maybe your thinking of the one in Quinched ? That's good off-season but priced out of reach in season, went past the other day and saw just 2 boats there.

Will ask around to find out about Huelmo but will probably pit stop in PM before heading west in a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:30   #129

Chris, yes..thinking of the one at Quinched. I know nothing about the one at Huelmo except that it exists and is small. I imagine you can still anchor there, I hope so.

I hope to be back in PM by mid Feb.
Cheers,
Frank
Old 26-12-2015, 16:36   #130

TxJ.
Sir (madam? Im not privvy).
There is nothing that you said re: Brittish involvement in the Pacific of which i have not been aware for, probably??? C. 30 years.
Aware and grateful.
My words were simply that America saved Ozbloodystrayla when England could not possibly have, PREVENTED SINGLE HANDEDLY, the Japanes Southern Invasion Fleet ( the official japanese title) from landing in Sydney.
And there is one single reason why the English from bieng powerful in the Pacific.......Brittains resources were absolutely depleted from having had to halt, almost single handedly the determination of hitler and his nazis from ruling the planet .
And while im there...many good Germans became nazis at the muzzle of a Luger.
So there is my guts laid bare.
Oh, forgot.....if youd been one of us convicts, living now and still to this day, having to listen to mother England tell us, over and over, that we are antipodean scum....then YOU might also favor the Seppos over our derisers.
A lot Endlish immigrants left here because they hated the joint, us!, ...because we are red-neck trash. And usually they delighted in telling us so.
Capiche? Can you see ??
Old 26-12-2015, 16:42   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Chris, yes..thinking of the one at Quinched. I know nothing about the one at Huelmo except that it exists and is small. I imagine you can still anchor there, I hope so.

I hope to be back in PM by mid Feb.
Cheers,
Frank

At risk of hijacking this thread now where are you now Frank? And where's the boat? I might still be around mid February but looking at getting going on the Juan Fernandez Easter Island Pitcairn gambiers route around the end of Jan depending on how I see the cyclone season developing - El Niño and all that. And continuing to NZ at some stage hence my interest in your original post.

P.s. My cousin told me about the goats

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 17:18   #132

Chris,
SHhhhhhhh...don't mention the goats - there may be a mason reading this....

I'm in NE Victoria today, in transit tomorrow, rejoin yacht next day and dep NZ by the 5th... hopefully a few days before that if all goes well.... only have to pick up and stow some vacuum packed meat, buy fresh veg, one run to Bunnings for a few bits and pieces, and shift some heavy stuff, cupla sails, rope bags and dieso, aboard.....tidy the ship and its hey ho and away!

Frank
Old 26-12-2015, 19:22   #133

PING....you plenty big fella liar! There are no goats in Unzud, never were, 'tis but a cruel rumour started by you yesterday to terrify the sheep "fanciers" in N.Z.
Never trust El Pinguino again...that my opinion....goats in unzud! not one.
Rethread...Ping, if you can tell the truth, you headed for Cook Strait? Or are rednecks not allowed to know?
Old 26-12-2015, 19:24   #134

Sorry Ping. 'TWERE CHAY WOT LIED.
PING HONEST PELLA (??).
Old 27-12-2015, 08:23   #135

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

A few things I learned about NZed over two off seasons there:

1. They hunt wild boar and their dogs and sometimes themselves get killed doing such. Pretty fierce people that.

2. Don't mess with the Maoris. Most fierce of all. They beat the British to a truce.

3. They eat bloody British sausages (yuck), and serve their "bacon" raw.

4. Great mates over beers and laughs. But they get harder and harder to understand the more beers that go down.

5. Will sail thousands of miles in some of the fiercest waters around on beat up, small, sailboats that most "cruisers" on this forum would be scared to go across a small lake on.

6. Very smart, adaptable, people. Matter of fact and don't take to bull s**t. They may or may not take to sheep s**t.

7. Great butchery stores. Best lamb in the world. We ate lamb rib roasts off the barbie every week.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand