Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 14:05   #31

Boat: Casacde 36
Re: More problems with Australian Customs

Gee, we'll even give 'em drivers' licences, let 'em vote and then give them a waiver on the Obamacare mandated penalty at tax time. Such a deal!!
But, really, it pays to always ask ahead of time. I've seen it get ugly, if you don't, even in the US and Canada.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 14:47   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I guess if you cover it in Australian humor à la Crock Dundee...it must be all right mate

Watch this to the end and have a merry Xmas

https://youtu.be/6Mhs68qhohI
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 01:45   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I guess if you cover it in Australian humor à la Crock Dundee...it must be all right mate

I don't understand ...are you trying to equate racial intolerance with the heavy hand of some bureaucrat on some poor sailors in trouble ?
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 02:20   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

No....bureaucratic issues are a burden we all bear

However stereotypes of other cultures and people, camouflaged in the guise of old boy humor, does offend me.

I just saw this thread going in that direction by mostly new members whom I don't know.

Not directed at anyone specifically and was probably an over reaction.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 02:21   #35

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
I don't understand ...are you trying to equate racial intolerance with the heavy hand of some bureaucrat on some poor sailors in trouble ?
So... you don't do satire then?

Let it not be forgotten that Straya has , it seems, 700 ... yes seven hundred, classes of work visa.

The 'heavy handed bureaucrat' was most likely just some young bloke at the airport doing his job to the best of his limited ability..
Old 24-12-2016, 02:24   #36

Quote:
No....bureaucratic issues are a burden we all bear

However stereotypes of other cultures and people, camouflaged in the guise of old boy humor, does offend me.

I just saw this thread going in that direction by mostly new members whom I don't know.

Not directed at anyone specifically and was probably an over reaction.
I found it very good, he was giving Pauline Hanson and her lot a damn good poke with a very pointy stick.

Eye of the beholder and all that I guess...
Old 24-12-2016, 02:49   #37

Quote:

Are those teeth for real? Otherwise not a bad effort for a young bloke. Dont start me on why the poor sods who live in Iraq & Syria are pissed off.
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 02:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Let it not be forgotten that Straya has , it seems, 700 ... yes seven hundred, classes of work visa.

The 'heavy handed bureaucrat' was most likely just some young bloke at the airport doing his job to the best of his limited ability..
I suspect that it is likely that the problem would have been at the dock where the yacht was moored. I'm guessing boat was probably not customs cleared into Aus and was tied up in the cargo port within the customs area.

BTW a few weeks ago when my yacht was unloaded in Newcastle, all of the unloading work was done by Aussie stevedores using the ships cranes whilst the Filipino crew had to stand around and watch
Old 24-12-2016, 02:55   #39

[QUOTE=hoppy;2286692]I suspect that it is likely that the problem would have been at the dock where the yacht was moored. I'm guessing boat was probably not customs cleared into Aus and was tied up in the cargo port within the customs area.

BTW a few weeks ago when my yacht was unloaded in Newcastle, all of the unloading work was done by Aussie stevedores using the ships cranes whilst the Filipino crew had to stand around and watch [/QUOTE]

That is 100% normal around the world.... shore labour unloads the ships.

I'm sure the boat was 'entered' in the normal fashion on arrival... whole thing sounds like a bit a storm in a teacup to me...

Moral of story... never tick the 'other' box on your arrival form...
Old 24-12-2016, 04:40   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: More problems with Australian Customs

Quote:
Wish I was as poor as those sailors..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 05:32   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

BTW a few weeks ago when my yacht was unloaded in Newcastle, all of the unloading work was done by Aussie stevedores using the ships cranes whilst the Filipino crew had to stand around and watch
And with everyone on the same page, the cargo gets unloaded safely & without incident. I've seen what happens when language barriers cause confusion and I have filled out the AMSA incident report to explain what happened.
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 06:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I fail to see where the satire is .
It seems just another case of thin skinned liberals seeing racism in everything .
And no . it's not just a case of some young bloke doing his job .
Here we have distressed sailors in a foreign land needing help , but what do they get , every obstacle possible by an unfeeling bureaucracy .
It's people like you who make excuses for these clowns that allow the government to get away with this .
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 12:07   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good grief, bustermaw,

Give it a break.

Political posturing on Christmas Day, (for those of us on the Ozzie side of the dateline)--the boat's on the ship headed for France, no one's in jail.

Please, don't rant here, take it to a political forum, not a sailing one!

Nowhere is it written that others must agree with your opinions.

Ann
Old 24-12-2016, 13:03   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddave View Post
And with everyone on the same page, the cargo gets unloaded safely & without incident. I've seen what happens when language barriers cause confusion and I have filled out the AMSA incident report to explain what happened.
Dave
I agree when it comes to loading to the shore, but I don't see the value when unloading and loading from the water. At several ports on this trip they did this at anchor and in Turkey and probably Thailand the crew did the job.
Old 24-12-2016, 13:11   #45

Quote:
I fail to see where the satire is .
It seems just another case of thin skinned liberals seeing racism in everything .
And no . it's not just a case of some young bloke doing his job .
Here we have distressed sailors in a foreign land needing help , but what do they get , every obstacle possible by an unfeeling bureaucracy .
It's people like you who make excuses for these clowns that allow the government to get away with this .
There are plenty of cargo ships heading to Europe from Aus. If they really wanted to do it themselves, they could have booked it to depart on a later date that gave them time to organise the visa's.

Tags
Australia, customs