Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 13:05   #1

pirate Live plants and customs in the Caribbean

Hey everyone. I guess the cliché way to start is "long time reader, first time poster." anywho...

I've read other posts about growing food and etc. on a boat being difficult and not worth the time and all that, so I'd rather not continue down that path.

One huge question I keep having pop into the head is "IF you grow anything on your boat, do you run into problems with customs?" Do you declare it, not declare it? Harvest it and toss it overboard before reaching the countries waters and start over next time.

To me, a plant growing on a boat that doesn't come to shore, woudn't be an issue. But maybe that's why I'm not a customs agent in the Bahamas, mon.

Would it really be a big hassle to have, say, a small Clementine tree growing in your stateroom?

Thoughts? Experience?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:22   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Live plants and customs in the Caribbean

None of the forms I've seen when clearing into and out of countries in the Caribbean contain specific mention to plants. In some countries you fill out a ship's stores form but they are mainly asking about fuel, alcohol and tobacco products. If it doesn't go ashore then I wouldn't worry about it; unless it is a plant illegal in that country, in which case you'd get into trouble if they do decide to do a check (which I've never seen) or a security check (which does happen infrequently, so far once to me).
Old 09-04-2013, 04:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Live plants and customs in the Caribbean

I think the problems associated with plant life etc is mainly in the non-EU controlled areas of the Pacific..
In the Caribbean I think the only plant that would cause a fuss would be a Cannabis Plant...
Mainly from 'liberated' US cruisers...
Up in smoke...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:07   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Oh boy...I have lots of experience w this subject...my late wife collected plants everywhere we went...and then imported a few hundred more when we got settled!

Most plants are not an issue. Exceptions include citrus and orchids. For certain orchids you may need CITIES paperwork. Dont collect orchids from the wild ... you should not do this anyway and getting caught can land you in hot water in some countries.

The real issue for importing plants is the soil not the plant. This is where most pathogens live. But Ive never had this be an issue for onboard plants since they are presumably not going ashore.

Most Carib countries are not very concerned about your plants, but citrus producing countries tend to pay a little more attention.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Live plants and customs in the Caribbean

If you are planning on coming to Bermuda, you will find our Customs form very investigative about all flora and fauna. The form specifically names seeds, soil, cuttings, etc. for question.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16   #6

Wow guys! Thanks so much for the info!
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, customs