Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 08:23   #1

Is an ICC Necessary for UK - Canaries - Jamaica?

Hi,

I'm planning to sail across the Atlantic in a 27ft yacht, and we're currently going through all the paperwork we'll need.

A google search brings up some pages which say you need an ICC, and some which say you don't, but I was wondering if anyone knows what actually happens to you if you get caught at port without one in a country that requires it?

Cheers,

Gus
gusblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Is an ICC necessary for UK - Canaries - Jamaica?

Don't know which ICC you are talking about,
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50   #3

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

I believe he asking about the "International certificate of Competence". And not the International Criminal Court system.
Some bare boat charters may require a certificate of one form are another.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51   #4

Gus refers to the ICC for sailing. All our searches have come up with mixed messages, we know that they are required for inland waterways, but are not planning to take any. Some say it is easier to get buy with one, as it gives you a 'definite legal right to sail your yacht', but surely they can't just take it off you? Has anyone ever been in trouble for not having one, just by being in a port? Apparently as soon as your are locked in a port it can count as inland waterway, but we will avoid such places and stick to Marinas. Does anyone know what the law is in the U.S, is there an equivalent legal requirement? What about the Azores and the Canaries? I think that the atlantic coast of france is okay as it isn't on the med, is this right? Cheers.
P.S I am sailing with Gus.
Johnny Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:05   #5

Of course the essence of our question is what are they gonna do about it, if there is no legal requirement to get one? We would have to do a very costly Yachtmaster Course to get an ICC, and would rather just learn it all from our friend who charts yachts in the North sea, and will take us out in the humber/north sea for free! After all, aren't most of these RYA courses for posho yachty types with enough money to blow (mostly stolen from workers labour), and to keep the RYA training companies in business? Convenient their particular product is part of a legal requirement, what ever happened to the days when someone could get a boat and head off into the sunset? Anyone dared not get an ICC, and cruised the world without the approval of the royal yachters?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:16   #6

Apologies for those not familiar with the U.K terminology by RYA I mean Royal Yachting Association, and by ICC I mean International certificate of Competence, as boason pointed out.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18   #7

What are the laws in the U.S regarding this, are there any? I hope you haven't had such freedoms taken away from you like we have, more important than the right to bear arms one would think!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:20   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

In the USA no licenses aren't required except for some states wanting Boating Safety Courses.

My experiences have been legal here, legal there. Inland Rules may be different as they are private waters.

Never seen a marina in salt water YET that was classed as inland waterway. Could be though.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The ICC is a simple ticket to get and can be done in two days. The RYA and the ISA ( Irish sailing association) can now issue ICCs to non EU nationals. Don't know what the specific requirements are.

The ICC is only mandatory for Inland Waterways but I know that Portugal and Greece seem very keen that visiting Yachtmens have them. But the basic fact remains that if you home state doesn't require it, It can't be asked for in another state.

Dave
Old 09-06-2011, 11:48   #10

But you need a RYA yacht master, don't you? If not and ICC is any other qualifications required? Are there marinas in france that don't require inurance?
Old 09-06-2011, 13:02   #11

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres
You do not have to be a yachtmaster to get an ICC. It is a competency assessment, if you can demonstrate that you have the basic skills to operate the boat you can apply for an assessment by an RYA accredited assessor. I did mine in a combined theory and practical assessment in 1 day. The requirements are really the minimum for safe operation of a power or sailing vessel. If you wish to navigatte on european inland waters, you will need the CEVNI endorsement as well. The only reason I got an ICC was that my Australian boat licence has long expired and i have been advised that some countries insist on evidence of competency? to sail.. Hope this helps
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 15:40   #12

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mercer View Post
Of course the essence of our question is what are they gonna do about it, if there is no legal requirement to get one? We would have to do a very costly Yachtmaster Course to get an ICC, and would rather just learn it all from our friend who charts yachts in the North sea, and will take us out in the humber/north sea for free! After all, aren't most of these RYA courses for posho yachty types with enough money to blow (mostly stolen from workers labour), and to keep the RYA training companies in business? Convenient their particular product is part of a legal requirement, what ever happened to the days when someone could get a boat and head off into the sunset? Anyone dared not get an ICC, and cruised the world without the approval of the royal yachters?
Welcome aboard. Many are doing circumnavigations without any certification at all. It's hard for anyone to see you as incompetent if you've just crossed the Atlantic!

I'm assuming the 'workers' actually applied for the jobs, that they knew the rate of pay, and decided to trade their time and skills for the wages offered. Hard to see where the crime occured.

You're obviously well educated... you express yourself better than many on the forum, but when you're cruising, that chip on your shoulder is going to be a handicap.
The cruising community is made up of an egalitarian group with a shared love of the cruising life, and they don't much care if you're welder, musician, professor, or doctor. The sea doesn't give a stuff if your collar is blue or white.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 15:48   #13

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Welcome aboard. Many are doing circumnavigations without any certification at all. It's hard for anyone to see you as incompetent if you've just crossed the Atlantic!

I'm assuming the 'workers' actually applied for the jobs, that they knew the rate of pay, and decided to trade their time and skills for the wages offered. Hard to see where the crime occured.

You're obviously well educated... you express yourself better than many on the forum, but when you're cruising, that chip on your shoulder is going to be a handicap.
The cruising community is made up of an egalitarian group with a shared love of the cruising life, and they don't much care if you're welder, musician, professor, or doctor. The sea doesn't give a stuff if your collar is blue or white.
Very well put.....

.And welcome aboard guys.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 16:08   #14

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

When I was planning to sail in Europe for a few years I tried to get the ICC, but it's only available for residents of the UK. I was able to get a Certificate of Competence from the ASA in California that looks very official. But in 3 years of sailing to many countries no one ever asked to see it. It’s probably required by some bare boat charter companies.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 16:15   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

The ICC is the next step after Competent Crew and before Day Skipper, Spain, Greece and Portugal are countries who have been asking visiters for proof of it, not all of the time, but it is getting more common, especialy here in Spain!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canaries, icc, Jamaica