Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 14:09   #151
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Florida Mooring and Anchoring Pilot Program Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I'm so bloody thrilled. We pay 1500 for three months in the water on Lake Michigan.

It is in the interest of the state and towns to encourage the biggest combined business to thrive. Every time the Gov't decides to tax or otherwise restrict preferentially, the target business suffers or dies. Draconian taxes in Michigan some years back forced 1/4 of our marinas to fold and 4 of the 5 boat builders to fail. At the same time, they taxed disproportionately, private planes, fur coats and expensive sports cars. All of these businesses also vaporized. People with mobile hobbies & lifestyles will simply take their toys & money elsewhere. It is not OK to control behavior by taking money from people. Contrary to popular belief, gov't types do not know better how to spend your money than you do. Enact POLICY, not money grabs. If crappy, un-seaworthy boats is the issue, there is a better way to address it than to prevent EVERYONE from boating.
It's your choice to have a 60' boat. Don't bitch about the cost. Watercraft insurance is not mandatory in MI and they don't have any of the same issues we're discussing here.
Old 25-02-2014, 14:14   #152
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Delusional, quite possibly. I might have imagined all the complaints I've heard about how it is impossible to enforce fines and penalties because the HIN was removed. usually, just ground off the transom on an old boat. Quick and easy, especially on boat where there's just one, or no one wants to dig behind the cabinetry looking for another one when there's no record of where--or if--that might be.

Yes, I've heard this complaint from LEOs directly. "Numbers were ground off, can't trace it."

Red tags? Maybe in your neck of the woods, but hardly universal.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:16   #153
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I disagree with you, but let me provide a basis for my thinking.

Those that manipulate politicians can't see guns, so that's not a good analogy. But they do see boats anchored in front of their expensive homes. Below is evidence of 2 legislators that introduced bills at the state level to allow muni's to write their own rules. These obviously went no where due to the mooring pilot program, but the point is these politicians still receive campaign monies from those living in waterfront homes, and will try again as soon as they 'can'.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...1&Session=2010

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...6&Session=2010

And accompanying first hand story about the person prompting the above legislators to 'do something about those boats ruining my view'.

Cruiser's Net » Archive » Anchoring Incident in Miami Beach

I believe the above will become rampant again without some give and take at the state level. The pilot program offers a muni a choice, but it's not a piece of cake to operate a mooring field just to get a 'better view'.

Hence, we need to be careful what we ask for.
So you reckon this buys us 3 years?

Can't we do better? Why not just give miami a "pilot program" also?
Old 25-02-2014, 14:45   #154

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So you reckon this buys us 3 years?

Can't we do better? Why not just give miami a "pilot program" also?
Sort of.

The pilot program is/was restricted to 5 locations, Miami didn't ask anything. It's not Miami that wants rules, it's one person with politicians in their pocket.

As much as I hate rules and want freedom of choice, a mooring field in exchange for sensible restrictions in close proximity of the mooring field isn't the end of the world for boaters. The restrictions are reviewed by FWC, hence they are at least are looked at by somebody with half a brain.

So, if the pilot program is a success, it may be the blueprint for the future. If the pilot program is a failure, we're back to every state politician trying to work magic whenever their benefactors scream.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 15:37   #155
Marine Service Provider

I appreciate your logic, but this was the exact reason the state law was passed.

On a personal level, I have 55' of sea wall dockage and I suppose that it only becomes more valuable as restrictions increase.

It just my goal to limit the intrusion which I honestly think is a slippery slope leading to no anchoring overnight within several miles of any city.

If I wanted an RV lifestyle, I would go buy an RV.
Old 26-02-2014, 06:09   #156

:dead horsebeat::deadhorse beat: :dead horsebeat::deadhorse beat: :dead horsebeat:
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:23   #157
CLOD

Boat: none

you probably think you killed that horse, but you would be wrong

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida, mooring, survey