Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 07:48   #31

Hmm guess I will put in my two cents not that it matters. First of all I'm a native Floridian born in the Fl Keys in Islamorada. I then moved to the west coast of Florida
at a young age to Charlotte Harbor area. I like to say I love the northerners. They are the reason I was able to retire at a nice age of 42 and go curising, hell I even married one lol. Ok to get back on track I just wanted to say I guess I have been very lucky because I have never been treated bad or told to move from anchorage. I have been approached and ask few questions then left with a smile and a have a nice day comment.
Drifter2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:19   #32

Boat: Endeavour E40
I have to agree with Drifter2869.........

NEVER been approached, NEVER told to move on.........

I don't think it's just luck, especially since I've been boating all over Florida for the past 55 years!

FLORIDA is still a beautiful state, and FLORIDIANS are very good, "down to earth" family people.......... so don't judge FLORIDA by what some politicians, authorities or others demand, they are probably not Floridians.

Just enjoy your stay and have fun!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:28   #33

I currently live in naples fl. At the naples pier i was talking to the dock master and asked why no one drops anchor in the empty area of the bay. She said the marine patrol will come and make you move, you are not aloud to anchor there. they currently have a morring field but no one can use it becuse it has not been approved my the city yet, for years. can they tell you to move immediatly.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:04   #34

Boat: n/a yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I currently live in naples fl. At the naples pier i was talking to the dock master and asked why no one drops anchor in the empty area of the bay. She said the marine patrol will come and make you move, you are not aloud to anchor there. they currently have a morring field but no one can use it becuse it has not been approved my the city yet, for years. can they tell you to move immediatly.
Naples... Enough said. Anyone familiar with what happens if you're anchored in one of these places and are out on your dinghy when the marine patrol pays you a visit? I'm wondering what they would/could do if you're not there... Come back later I guess. Anyone have experience in teh Tampa Bay area?
Macopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:27   #35

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Lorianne Davies, Sorry I missed your request. Summer Haven is a nice area. Close to the beach. Beautiful sunrises and depending on where the house is located beautiful sunsets. I walk from one side of the island to the other to see sunrise and sunset with my wife. We also love to see the ocean when a strom is brewing. Two weeks ago, Flagler Hospital just announced a layoff of personell. I do not know what classes of personell. The school district is in a no hire mod due to the state budget cuts. You will still see people pull off to the side of the road to camp and fish. The state has put up barriers so the people can not park. The old Elvis movie, Pioneer Go Home, is still a reality in some parts of Florida even though homesteading is no longer recognized. I have a friend that loads up their little fishing boat with camping gear and camps on small islands near Summer Haven. Hope this message reaches you.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:44   #36

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
The tide is definitely turning... and not for the better.

$450/mo. for a mooring in Sarasota? Is this for real?

Oh well, yachting is for wealthy people. If you can't afford it then you won't be cluttering up "their" view with your unsightly boat.

Granted there are some pretty funky looking boats and people throughout many parts of the state. But now it's gonna be a crime?
My boat's old, needs a paint job but it is still a great yacht (yacht-Dutch for pleasure boat). I have gotten some "looks" from a few "yachtsmen". I'm a respectable doctor for god's sake!!
Eliteism is what drives this crap and is definitely threatening everyones right to anchor.
At least the Marco Island situation had a positive outcome...so far. We'll see what the appeal yields.
Yea, not a "liveaboard"... full time cruiser. Semantics is everything.
What rubbish.

OK, rant over...

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:03   #37
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomuffins View Post
Granted there are some pretty funky looking boats and people throughout many parts of the state. But now it's gonna be a crime?
How about this one:

jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:19   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
How about this one:

Yeah that is bad but clearly looks like something that is at least in part about abandonment. That should not reflect on sailors in general. The fix? Make claiming rules on abandoned boats easier so that people pick these things up. I'd go grab those and see what could be done. Probably a few dollars to be made anyway...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:22   #39
jzk

I am told, and it appears that people are living in those. One hull sunk? No problemo - there is another complete hull ready to move into!
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:26   #40

WTF. So create a law about living in wrecked boats. Crazy...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:43   #41

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macopa View Post
WTF. So create a law about living in wrecked boats. Crazy...
One sailors wreck is anothers treasure.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
One sailors wreck is anothers treasure.
I definitely agree with that. I would love to have those boats! A little TLC would go a long way and I'd either have a boat or some money for parting it out... I just don't think they should be on the water like that. = source of everyone else's issues.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:18   #43

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
Hear, Hear Scalawag! and/but: sales tax revenues from visitors keeps us free of state income tax; anchoring problems are generated by "bums" on the water and by municipalities, not state legislators (remember the court review that trashed Ft. Myers' anti-anchoring law?); and Florida homeowners of all classes and locations pay for services and infrastructure through property taxes - how much property tax do liveaboards pay to enjoy the benefits? (ps: Floridians are over-taxed and over-regulated.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11   #44

Property owners? They aren't the only ones that pay for infrastructure and services.
I have to admit that there are cases where "bums" are living in derelict vessels. We've got that right here in Bradenton Beach. I used to moor off of Wysteria Is. in Key West where living on a boat has become the only affordable housing for many of the working class. At the time there were several unsavory, even violent and dangerous n'er do wells living on such boats. These individuals do give "liveaboards" a bad name, but this is about the individuals not the boats.
I'm not sure where the above photo was taken, but there probably are folks living on those boats. Would we feel better if the vessels were shiny and new [or at least floating ] but the "liveaboards" were still "bums"?
This is a class issue.
Gentrification is what drives these measures. Whether the regulating body is State, Municipal or Federal is irrelevant. Everyone has to be somewhere. If this type of living accommodation keeps someone from "living under the bridge" then I say great. Everyone deserves shelter from the elements. Bad behavior is another matter and there are already PLENTY of laws to control that issue. I don't care if the guy anchored next to me is in a crappy looking boat [though it should at least float ... there are regs regarding hazards to navigation already], I just expect reasonable behavior which includes having the respect to make sure his boat doesn't drag down on mine in a blow and if it does to help correct the situation.
The powers that be are planning a mooring field here soon. Most in the anchorage are honest hard working people. Boat life allows them some relief from the ever escalating cost of living and to enjoy some things which they might not if they had to pay the $1000+/mo. rent here on the island.
Forcing them to pay for a mooring is just a way to urge them to "move on".
NO gov,t. should be able to say you can't anchor here or there (unless it's a safety issue). It's all public water. Bad behavior is another issue.
Anchoring restrictions in Florida? ... It's all about the gentry.

mm
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20   #45

and another thing [sorry]. What's this about requiring foreign flagged vessels to "report" when moving from one location to another? Good grief
Security? More rubbish.

OK, I'm done... I think

mm

Tags
florida