Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 19:47   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Australian Customs officials board illegal Patagonian toothfish poaching boat

I'm not sure what heading to put this under so I'm just putting it here.

Great to see Australia finally do something about poaching. It's exceptionally rare to see our Australian Government doing anything about it.

It's also interesting that the Minster claims they had been observing this vessel for some time, and yet they therefore waited for it to enter the high seas where they advise they therefore can't arrest the crew. Sort of implies they were waiting for it to leave Australian waters to do so.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 20:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Australian Customs officials board illegal Patagonian toothfish poaching boat

Here is a link to the story:

Australian Customs officials board illegal Patagonian toothfish poaching boat - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 26-02-2015, 20:30   #3

Re: Australian Customs officials board illegal Patagonian toothfish poaching boat

Thanks, I thought I had posted it before. Cheers.
Old 26-02-2015, 20:52   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

So they boarded it and let it go??

A few years ago they would put a prize crew on board, the ship would be arrested and brought into Fremantle, the cargo sold, and the skipper would be up before the beak. When did they go soft on that approach?

They used to chase them half way back to South America....west about... and then arrest them.
Old 27-02-2015, 00:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
So they boarded it and let it go??

A few years ago they would put a prize crew on board, the ship would be arrested and brought into Fremantle, the cargo sold, and the skipper would be up before the beak. When did they go soft on that approach?

They used to chase them half way back to South America....west about... and then arrest them.
The last three governments have been more interested in stopping the other kind of boats.
Old 27-02-2015, 06:47   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The last three governments have been more interested in stopping the other kind of boats.
All criminal activity at sea should be actioned on, whether it is poaching or endangering the lives of seamen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-02-2015, 11:08   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Thanks for the link. Did I read it correctly that no action was taken and it was steaming under its own power to who knows were. If that's the case, it sounds like an exercise in futility.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 11:20   #8

Its not like the good old days when a sea chase really was a sea chase

..:: Stop Illegal Fishing ::..

As I recall , at one stage the Australian pursuer called up the poacher ( paraphrasing ) and said 'you'll get stuck in the ice if you go that way '...'Gracias , I'll just back up a bit'.... Pursuer waited while poachers sorted themselves out and then away they went again...
Old 27-02-2015, 13:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Its not like the good old days when a sea chase really was a sea chase

..:: Stop Illegal Fishing ::..

As I recall , at one stage the Australian pursuer called up the poacher ( paraphrasing ) and said 'you'll get stuck in the ice if you go that way '...'Gracias , I'll just back up a bit'.... Pursuer waited while poachers sorted themselves out and then away they went again...
I'm not aware of any other 'chases' but that one was definately worth it.

I don't know where the other 'paraphrased' idea is from.
Old 27-02-2015, 19:55   #10

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I enjoyed the chase a few times myself.
If a vessel is caught doing something illegal in Australian Territorail waters (Think 200 Nmiles), much can be done. If a vessel is seen in Australian Territory and move out, the laws of the chase require the vessel to be maintained in sight until they are boarded.
The vessel El Pinguino referred to got off because Australia was not prepared to dislose the technique in how the vessel was discovered or observed before and after the chase commenced.
Anyway the last patrol I got involved in 9 of 10 fishes were legal, not in Australian waters, were welcoming, the other was Chinese and they more or less said Foxtrot Oscar.
Think it got too hard, and very costly, for little benefit. I don't believe any Australian Fisher is interested in Tooth fish.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 20:18   #11

dunno about that Icebreaker begins slow tow of ship in Antarctica | Stuff.co.nz
I don't think they are after barramundi

NZ seems to be pretty heavily involved in the fishery... saw a big kiwi one , 'San Aspiring'(?), in the Falklands a few years ago..she was there for a crew change.

Tags
Australia, customs, fish, legal