Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:39   #46

And what about
ANNEX 1, Positioning and technical details of lights and shapes.
2. (d)
…then such masthead light or all-round light shall be carried at least 1 meter higher than the sidelights.
Also (g) and (h).
I have yet to see on a sailing vessel a Masthead Nav. Lights fitting where the Masthead light is 1 meter above the Sidelights but, I have seen many sailing boats equipped with a Combo Masthead Steaming Light and Deck Light installed many meters below the Sidelights obviously not in accordance with the above International Regulations.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:58   #47

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
<snip>

I have yet to see on a sailing vessel a Masthead Nav. Lights fitting where the Masthead light is 1 meter above the Sidelights <snip>.
Are you referring to a single assembly, or are you saying that most sailing vessels you see, simply don't mount the masthead light 1m above the sidelights?

My masthead light is 3m higher (or more) than my sidelights. It came that way from the factory 40 years ago.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:06   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
And what about
ANNEX 1, Positioning and technical details of lights and shapes.
2. (d)
…then such masthead light or all-round light shall be carried at least 1 meter higher than the sidelights.
Also (g) and (h).
I have yet to see on a sailing vessel a Masthead Nav. Lights fitting where the Masthead light is 1 meter above the Sidelights but, I have seen many sailing boats equipped with a Combo Masthead Steaming Light and Deck Light installed many meters below the Sidelights obviously not in accordance with the above International Regulations.
The key term is at least.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
Are you referring to a single assembly
Yes I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The key term is at least.
Which to me means not less than one meter
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:47   #50

All of combined masthead / deck lights that I have seen on sailboats at least one meter higher than the sidelights. On some smaller powerboats they are close to a meter, I would have to measure.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:32   #51

There is at least one meter between the masthead and sidelights on this Bavaria 40. This is a common arrangement.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:41   #52

Got them and use them mostly for liability concerns. Also as a practical consideration we keep lights on in the cockpit in the evening. My fear is folks moving at night in the anchorage won't see our anchor light 100 feet in the air.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 14:45   #53

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
I can understand the point about the light high in the air. We have two alternatives.

In an anchorage where we are concerned about v large/commercial shipping (which might include alongside a river fairway, or a cruise liner anchorage) we use out masthead anchor light.

In a small ships anchoring field, we use our very lovely Davis, plug-in 12v photo-sensitive light. The beauty of this is that is comes on when it gets dark, so you don't have to either waste energy in daylight or worry at twilight. We hoist this above the boom, at about half mast height. In theory, with a 12v extension lead, we could haul it to mast head height, but we've never yet bothered.

We know both meet the distance visibility requirements and so we are comfortable with the choices. We don't use a cockpit light after we've gone to bed, both for power management and because it might actually cause someone to miss the higher lights which illustrate our length.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:48   #54
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
Blimey! In the UK, Portugal, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy we always use a light and always use a ball. If nothing else, your insurance won't cover you if you don't Also there is activity in the anchorages at night, and I would hate either to be crashed into or indeed crash into someone else. Not all nights are light: we went into Portoferraio in a heavy thunderstorm last year, and used lightening flashes to help orient ourselves. Other people's anchor lights were crucial.

yeah right l was in france spain and italy and ive seen anchor lights running lights and everything else in between been used incorrectly, as to day shapes, please no self respecting frenchman ever uses one!, about the only day shape i;ve seen was his speedos hanging on the line.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:56   #55

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
yeah right l was in france spain and italy and ive seen anchor lights running lights and everything else in between been used incorrectly, as to day shapes, please no self respecting frenchman ever uses one!, about the only day shape i;ve seen was his speedos hanging on the line.

Just because they've got it wrong doesnt exonerate you, especially if you value your insurance.

It shows really that you know what you are doing rather than just playing at it.

Roaring Girl's comment about her 12volt Davis - I was a little concerned that it was mounted over the boom - it should be in the forepart of the vessel.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 20:17   #56
Nearly an old salt

insurance is always trotted out like some boogey man. I actually asked my insurers some time ago what would happen if I broke a maritime law and caused some acident. ie like speed limits or cokregs or whatever.

They said in general , it depends, generally they contract to insure me, so once I dont declare something incorrectly or present me or my boat incorrectly they will pay out.

the grey area is where I am deliberately neglegent, then its a call. but it incorrect to state that you might not be insured merely because you infringe a Colreg. insurance is there because you may make a mistake
Old 07-01-2010, 21:07   #57

Boat: Westsail 32
Regarding anchor balls and inverted cones (the original topic of this thread, not running lights etc.), the concern IMO really isn't insurance. It's (a) legal liability for loss of life and property caused in any way by failure to comply with regulations, and (b) compliance with regs because it's the seamanlike thing to do. Whether anyone knows the meaning of a black ball displayed by a vessel at anchor or not, if you are not displaying same and you are rammed, you can, and probably will, be found at fault in any legal dispute. Now that the meaning of black balls and cones and their use is clear, I'm going to keep displaying them appropriately if only because it's the right thing to do.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 21:19   #58
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Regarding anchor balls and inverted cones (the original topic of this thread, not running lights etc.), the concern IMO really isn't insurance. It's (a) legal liability for loss of life and property caused in any way by failure to comply with regulations, and (b) compliance with regs because it's the seamanlike thing to do. Whether anyone knows the meaning of a black ball displayed by a vessel at anchor or not, if you are not displaying same and you are rammed, you can, and probably will, be found at fault in any legal dispute. Now that the meaning of black balls and cones and their use is clear, I'm going to keep displaying them appropriately if only because it's the right thing to do.

I am sorry you will have to justify that with case law. It may be a contributing factor or it may not. ita like all these personal acidents claims where blame may be divided. in either case your insurance will pay out. thats why you have it.

i'm not arguing the seamanship angle, not I agree with the OP its not a common sight among pleasure boats IMHEx
Old 08-01-2010, 04:56   #59

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I am sorry you will have to justify that with case law....
Take a look at Farwell's Guide to the Collision Avoidance Rules.....

But think about it.... if a traffic accident proceeding considers tickets issued / who was at fault for insurance purposes, don't you think compliance with maritime rules would possibly be a topic of discussion in Admiralty court?

So why take the chance - it's the main thesis of this entire thread.

Bloodhound nailed it - "it's the right thing to do."

Old 08-01-2010, 05:24   #60

I know some folks have gone to using lawn and garden lights that are solar powered. The simply lay them about the deck when at anchor. Quick, easy and simple way to light the deck at night.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor