Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2014, 16:32   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
ALERT: Another amendment to restrict anchoring in Florida!

Yet Another amendment has been introduced at the eleventh hour of the Florida legislative session to scuttle our anchoring rights in Florida.

Senator Christopher Smith of Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale and environs) has introduced an amendment to Senate Bill 1126 (House Bill 955) to circumvent the entire FWC Anchoring/Mooring Pilot Program by allowing any municipality not participating in the program to determine any minimum distance boaters can anchor from every private residence. Passage of this amendment would not only make knowing where in Florida overnight anchoring is allowed an impossible task, but could effectively eliminate legal anchoring in nearly all of the state.

From the amendment: "...A local government that is not participating in a pilot program pursuant to statute 327.4105 may regulate the distance from a private residence that a vessel may anchor overnight."

If this amendment were to pass (and it may very well pass, since it now includes nearly all municipalities, instead of just Broward and Miami-Dade), it will be a crap-shoot to anchor in Florida – and every "Barney Fife" on the water will be gunning for us "law-breakers," just like it was several years ago.

Please, and especially if you are a Florida resident (even if you "live" in Green Cove Springs), send a message to your senator tonight and get your voice heard. We are quite weary of these last-minute shenanigans.

Please find your legislator (https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find), and send a message to them.

...And, please pass this along to you cruising friends. Thanks!

More...ALERT: Another amendment to restrict anchoring in Florida | General | Waterwayguide.com News Updates
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 17:44   #2
mcm

Re: ALERT: Another amendment to restrict anchoring in Florida!

I thought 1126 already passed, how can you amend it now except by a new bill ??
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 17:53   #3

It was accepted by the Appropriations Committee last week, and now goes to the Senate floor. Usually, when the bill matches what has already passed in the House, the full Senate will not likely consider any new amendments...and sometimes these legislators just want to appear to be favorable to certain "constituents" – however, we cannot take this for granted...you never know what's going to happen in Florida (I heard they just passed anti-zombie legislation
(There's a reason why most of the episodes of "Cops" is filmed here.)
Old 01-05-2014, 06:00   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Good catch! I just saw it this morning. I am still hopeful time will run out as the secession ends tomorrow on the entire bill.

It would allow a local city to set a distance from a private residence. I actually support that if a standard of say 100' was adopted, but no doubt they will be looking to do 500' or more in some areas.

I still believe this still all violates the original state anchoring law that is still in effect. anyhow, best of luck to us all. I have called my reps multiple times and they both voted for the bill in committee and I know several others in my area also called and wrote to object.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Perhaps this has something do do with the now legal backyard gun ranges?
Old 01-05-2014, 13:51   #6

The amendment was voted DOWN moments ago...woo hoo! http://www.icontact-archive.com/e3vn...CR4uODvo24?w=4

They spend a LOT of time on the Zombie Apocalypse Bill, too.
Old 03-05-2014, 14:32   #7

Boat: westerly centaur 26

Even though the amendment was defeated I'm sure they will try again in the future so now is the time start emailing all the Senators and let them know Cruisers are a valuable part of the Florida economy and to vote against any future anchoring ordinances. Also thank Senators Dean, Hayes, and Edwards for being against the amendment.
dave c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 14:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

I personallyf think it best to downplay the cruiser aspect and concentrate on the overall impact of boating and boat services. The assumption being that all boaters deserve the right to a peaceful night at anchor away from a marina or mooring field if they so choose, regardless of who's house or oyster bed they might be near. I personally would be OK with a statewide time limit of say 14 days within a 1/4 radius anchoring rule or something like that. Town like Key West that have a major part of their workforce anchored out could waive it if they wanted, But some "cruisers" would object and no doubt it would not be enough to satisfy other.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida, men