Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 08:13   #1

Window Trim Replacement

Got another question for you guys. I'm restoring a 1977 Easterly 38, complete with window and portlight leaks. The portlights are Grays, so I can get parts at Pompanette. The windows are another story. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos on hand and won't be on the boat for a week, but I'll try to describe them. They are plexiglass (or something similar), about three feet long, maybe 10 inches tall and tapered down on the forward end. They have a plastic exterior trim, which is my problem. I need to remove the trim and reseal the windows and I KNOW I'm going to break the trim. Anyone know of a source for replacement trim?

I'll take some photos and measurements next weekend if I need be.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 01:37   #2
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Replacement trim for application specific plastic parts will be difficult to say the least. I've had to do restorations where the owner wanted the same look, knowing replacements weren't available. I pulled a mold of them in place, then used this to cast 'glass ones as replacements. It's a lot of work, more so the wooden IMO.

I've also cut them from aluminum sheet, which is a lot easier to fabricate, but also more costly. Is this the one in Prairieville, LA that was bare hull being finished up?

This window?
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 05:15   #3

Yep, that looks like the same window. Not the same boat, though. Ours is in N.O. at Orleans. So, thanks to BP, we are locked in the lake by boom in the Rigolets. The upside to it, if there is one, is we have more time to work on the boat rather than doing something silly like sailing in the Gulf and having fun. (I'll stop right there before I go on my BP rant.)
I suppose we could make stainless trim as the ports have stainless trim for cosmetic purposes.
Old 02-08-2010, 14:14   #4

photo

Here is a photo of the window. I did not measure it, but it is about 5 feet long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	18159