Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Windex Relevant Today?
Nope, never look at it -- it's useless now that we have reliable electronic wind instruments. I would (or already have) take mine down if I could be bothered going up the mast. 7 11.11%
I look at it once in a while. Probably wouldn't miss it much if it were eaten by a starving seagull. 9 14.29%
Windex is a good thing to have. I look at it often. 27 42.86%
Windex is as fundamental as a compass. Don't leave home without it. 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 03:19   #31

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Re: Windex Questions -- And Poll!

Typical of the young sailor of today. Now it cost $3452 +options, had electronic gismos and 35 wires and relays hanging from it, needed a Team from the Navy Dockyard to fit it and then 30 pages of conflicting advice on here, of course it would be a necessity :-)
Old 28-04-2013, 06:28   #32

The advice is conflicting because we're different people, doing this in a different manner to each other. I haven't seen anyone claiming it is unsafe to be without a Windex, or unsafe to have one. It's just what we, as individual sailors, prefer.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 07:06   #33

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Doesn't the Windex tell you where the true wind is coming from, unconfused by apparent wind? The first boat i had did not have a Windex, and the one on this boat is broken. I learned to sail on boats that had no windex. And yet we were able to figure out where the true wind was coming from.

Then the two "wings" are supposed to tell you the edges of the "no go" zone? But that will vary tremendously according to your boat design, your sails, how well you have them trimmed, etc., etc., etc.

So to me, never having had one, it's just a vague indicator of what should already be obvious to you, and in fact, esp. regarding where to start and stop your tacks, misleading.

You know where the wind was coming from when you left the dock. Somehow, Dockhead, I think you would notice a wind shift, too.

'Course, I'm no expert, and I'm certainly not an expert on windexes, never having had one, but somehow I still manage to tack.

If I were going to have something on the mast, I would rather just have the wind direction indicators without the "wings," although I don't know if Windexes need those side parts to stay balanced or something.

I just know lots of people who learned to sail without them (because they learned on the same boats I did).
thanks for saying you are no expert, we would never had guess
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 07:08   #34
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Due to two antennas on my masthead restricting swing room for the windex, I used a (approx) 8" piece of aluminum angle bar screwed to the masthead and sticking out aft of the mast, to which I screwed the windex. Works good, even in my centre cockpit. When I replace my soft dodger roof (soon), I will put a clear panel in the centre of it so I can see the windex. At this point I still have to fold the roof forward to see it, so I don't really use it in crappy weather.
It is nice to have though. It is more accurate than the flagging tape I used to have on the shrouds and a lot less expensive than the electronic alternative
Old 28-04-2013, 07:14   #35

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I sailed on a boat the other day with an electronic wind indicator and a windex that was occluded by the bimini. What a pain in the @ss! In light wind the electric thing said that the wind was 90 degrees from reality. I had to keep going to the rail to see where the wind really was.
We had an electronic wind indicator. I put new cups on it twice and one blew off of each in the first good blow. The last time up the mast I cut the whole mess off with a hacksaw and float tested it. It didn't float.
Old 28-04-2013, 07:19   #36
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

You're kidding right? You're not serious about throwing your garbage in the ocean, are you? I mean, really, you wouldn't really be that ignorant... would you?
Old 28-04-2013, 07:22   #37

Boat: CORBIN 39

most decent racers need a windex, try racing downwind, sailing by the lee with spinnaker trying to make a leeward mark without a realtime windex. tough! now try it in shifting winds blowing 15 + ;dangerous. on a race boat, I would never be without one. I remember seeing SASSY in port huron (C&C 61 ) mast? close to a hundred feet with a windex that looked miniscule. the helmsman said ( wish it were bigger ).
now that I am cruising, with a bad neck (like most sailors from looking at the windex).
I still glance at it now and then. it never lies.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 08:30   #38

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
The advice is conflicting because we're different people, doing this in a different manner to each other. I haven't seen anyone claiming it is unsafe to be without a Windex, or unsafe to have one. It's just what we, as individual sailors, prefer.
My reply was said in jest. Homour, however having said that maybe thereis some truth in what I said????????
Old 28-04-2013, 08:36   #39

Well, I apparently don't get your humour. To me, it reads as being bitter and a yearning for the "goold old days".

But, anyway, that's not important. Carry on.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 08:48   #40

On a previous boat the Windex was gimballed and would stay horizontal when heeling that was also great for preventing birds landing on it. Great fun to watch some excited frigate birds trying unsuccessfully to land on it. The present boat also had a gimballed Windex but found unnecessary, was removed. The present wind transducer is mounted behind and above the masthead Stern lamp and is illuminated by it at night and is easy to watch when resting in the cockpit. Tell tales on the twin backstay are the most useful when the wind is light and the boat is rolling and the vane on the transducer is spinning around.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:08   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
most decent racers need a windex, try racing downwind, sailing by the lee with spinnaker trying to make a leeward mark without a realtime windex. tough! now try it in shifting winds blowing 15 + ;dangerous. on a race boat, I would never be without one. I remember seeing SASSY in port huron (C&C 61 ) mast? close to a hundred feet with a windex that looked miniscule. the helmsman said ( wish it were bigger ).
now that I am cruising, with a bad neck (like most sailors from looking at the windex).
I still glance at it now and then. it never lies.
Sailing a multihull in light, shifty air is another example where having a windex is a great advantage over the electronic version.
It's a whole lot more sensitive and instantaneous than the instrument in the cockpit.

I have both, but use them about 50/50 which is usually several times a minute.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:31   #42

the windex is just simpler than having, buyinh, installing complicated wind instruments. So I like it. I dont focus on it much, but if trimming or trying for more boat speed I give it a look... for reassurance I guess.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:03   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
[QUOTE="Bash;1220138" will be true especially of the helm is steered from the coaming--racer style--rather than from directly behind the wheel--beginner style.[/QUOTE]

Lol what nonsense , look at The challenge yachts SRC , Steer from the coaming me arse-nal!!

Dave
Old 28-04-2013, 17:03   #44
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I can't believe I did this, but I actually allowed myself to be swayed by the results of the the poll.

So I've ordered an alu plate with a welded-on rib for stiffening, which will stick out past the end of the masthead truck. I'll mount the Windex on the end of it.
Make sure you can light it at night !

Dave
Old 28-04-2013, 17:44   #45

Boat: Gib sea 43

I use mine all the time, even though i have an electronic gauge.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll