Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 05:21   #46

Re: Where the Heck Do you Keep Tools?

Amazing how many tools we have once I thought about it.

90% is covered by a tool kit from home depot that comes in it's own plastic case. That sits on the floor of one of the rear cabins leaned to the side. It comes out at least a couple times per week.
- Screwdrivers
- Socket set
- Allan wrenches
- wrenches.
- etc...

Also have a bag of electrical goodies. That doesn't come out as often so it gets put in the pit of dispare (a large deep chasom on the port side) but it stays towards the top.
- Wire
- Fuses
- Connectors
- stripper/crimper
- Electrical meter

Repurposed tackle box to keep all the spare screws, snaps, fitting and other bits and pieces. It also lives in the pit of dispare. A tackle box would make a nice after market tool storage also since it's meant to be in a marine environment.

Finally are the power tools: dremel, jig saw drill, etc... They go under the dinet seat (easy reach standing next to the dinnet).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:19   #47

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Has anyone ever used the bunk as a berth? If you can't find space on a 50ft boat for essential supplies take a long hard look at overall use of space, Many boats not built specifically for cruising have way to many berths for there size and need spaces converting to stowage and work areas. Needs to be handy and dry so would not go for head.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:41   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Has anyone ever used the bunk as a berth? If you can't find space on a 50ft boat for essential supplies take a long hard look at overall use of space, Many boats not built specifically for cruising have way to many berths for there size and need spaces converting to stowage and work areas. Needs to be handy and dry so would not go for head.
We have seven bunks, and they are all used from time to time. A couple cruising round the world would of course convert one of the cabins into a storage and workshop, get rid of the pilot berth and put in a work bench instead, and then this problem would not exist. A family cruising coastally and occasionally would not have this problem, because no need to have such supplies. I fall in between, which is what causes the problem, as I do cruise long distance and blue water, but not full time, so with ever changing groups of people on board.

That being said, there is never enough space on any boat short of maybe 100'. That goes with the territory.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:47   #49

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

A toolbox.

Where should I keep the drill press, lathe, welder, and air compressor?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:01   #50

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

I didn't read all the responses, so someone may have suggested this - use fabric "tool rolls". A tool roll is a rectangular piece of heavy fabric or canvass with pockets in it. You can do one for wrenches, one for screwdrivers, etc. Slide the tools in the pockets and roll up the tool roll. Ideally it will have ties sewn into one edge so you can bind up the tool roll and keep it from unrolling. Then store the tool roll in your bag or box. The next time you need a wrench, take out the tool roll, take it to where you are working, unroll it and, voila, all your wrenches are there, easy to see and east to access. If you're like me, you probably picked the wrong wrench out your bag anyway and have to go back. This saves you the trip.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:02   #51

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Dockhead, have you considered modifying the fiddles to make them removable so you can use the berth as a workbench?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:05   #52

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Instead of complete screwdriver sets, start with a 6-way screwdriver and add to that just what you need.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:09   #53

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

I struggled with finding a place to keep the tool boxes/bags etc on my 30 footer with available space very scarce.

After a year I decided to pull up the plywood floor under the dining table. This area was raised a step above the main cabin sole. Underneath the plywood was…. - a 4 ft x 2 ft x 8" hollow space. This was like discovering a treasure chest.
Now it is 2 big deep drawers full of tools within reaching distance of my engine hatch.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:48   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

You are not going to like this - on our last cat we simply converted one cabin into a workshop /store. Our power tools are stored in IP65 (waterproof) boxes whilst other tools are kept in soft tool bags. We keep a small ready to go bag of frequently used tools under the nav table. Like others have stated, we also keep duplicates of common tools in each of our engine rooms - enabling us to change impellors, and other basics, without even having to think about what tools to take with. On our current cat (owners version) we have converted part of the office area into a full workshop area. Why the heck would we want to do office work down in an isolated hull? Similarly, one of my wife's pet dislikes was not having a full height pantry - that was created via the conversion of an existing shelved area - beefed up shelves and added 50mm high solid fiddles and a louvred door.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:57   #55

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
Recently bought, and like:

Welcome Aboard Backpack Tool Bag
Oh, that's nice. was getting a bit nervous. 40', 50' can't find tool space? What will I do! 30' this is a great idea. I don't think it's waterproof, but no reason you can't slip it into a waterproof bag.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:14   #56

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I tried canvas tool bags. They pack down well, but it seemed that I could never find what I needed, the bags would get wet/damp, and the tools would then rust. I really try to keep my tools rust free. So far, the following is working. For storage, I use waterproof latching cases. Pelican cases are good, but I found and really like these from Nanuk This size seems to work for me, allowing me to store about the right assortment in a case. Not too heavy even when full of sockets / wrenches, etc. I find it easy to root around in the open case to find a tool. The corners are round and the plastic seems to not scratch/mar what they are sitting on. The latches are easy to open, unlike some Pelican cases. I have one with general tools, another with a full set of 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets and various styles of open/box end wrenches, another with electrical, another with my battery drill and impact driver including charger and a full assortment drills etc. I'm still working on the combinations of which tools go where, but these cases let me store the less used tools in the laz or even up forward near the chain locker (damp areas) without worrying about rust. Also, once or twice a year I wipe down tools with TC-11. I'm sure there are other products that also work well, but I've been using TC-11 for years on all kinds of things, and it's never let me down. Not waxy, and that's important.
Gonna have to try that TC - 11.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:56   #57

Boat: Little Harbor 58

"Many boats not built specifically for cruising have way to many berths for there size and need spaces converting to stowage and work areas."

I have a crew quarters in the forepeak which is more like a brig if you had to live there for any cruise of 2 days or more. I converted it to a workshop with a vice and removed the fold down sink that was in there. Over time, I have tried several different storage systems with plastic containers from Wal-Mart and such. Worked fine in the slip.....but at sea it was a terrible idea. When the containers spilled tools, chemicals, screws, nuts, bolts etc. It looked like Home Depot sneezed their inventory into the space.

Now I have the Plano tackle boxes with three firm latches and are water tight, stackable with rubber grip feet. I use two canvas tool bags, one for electrical tools and some supplies, and the other for everything else except a Husky mechanics tool case with an enormous amount of wrenches and ratchets. I keep my big tools in water tight bags under the sole near the engine compartment. When I stack the tackle boxes in the forepeak on one of the berths, I hold them in place with a couple of bungy nets from the Harley Davidson dealership. I stretch them from the berth to the hand rail above the berth.

Anyway, I looked up the Moody 54 to see what you had as a layout, and I would recommend the passage cabin and get a good carpenter to help build compartments and forget about the washer dryer. I took mine out, because it used so much water and didn't dry the clothes. I don't like 6 bit screw drivers either. My bilge is full of bits somewhere down there.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 14:29   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
...I don't like 6 bit screw drivers either. My bilge is full of bits somewhere down there.
For those unfamiliar with a 6-way screwdriver, there are no separate parts to loose (unless you are so unwise as to require instructions). There are 1 handle, 1 reversible shaft, 1 reversible Phillips bit, and 1 reversible flat-blade bit. Each component forcibly clicks into its mating component upon reversing its position. The reversible shaft can be used on most common hose clamps (but don't loose the bit). Mine are all ancient, and have proven themselves over decades of professional shipwright use, but they look quite like this.

To supplement (1) 6-way driver I've found that it is good to also have along a very small Phillips and a very small flat-blade "instrument" driver, a 2-way stubby Phillips, a 2-way stubby flat-blade, a 2-way, ratcheting, offset Phillips, a 2-way, ratcheting, offset flat-blade, plus a long, medium flat-blade. Add SAE and metric Allen wrench sets.

Additionally I most frequently use (as a driver) a 3-generations-old Milwaukee/Sioux close quarters angle drill, plus an extensive, custom set of power driver bits to 6" long, including square, Phillips and flat-blade bits. My ratchet wrench set and impact driver set include many driver tips for flat-blade, Allen and Torx fasteners.
Old 05-03-2015, 16:33   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
For those unfamiliar with a 6-way screwdriver, there are no separate parts to loose (unless you are so unwise as to require instructions). There are 1 handle, 1 reversible shaft, 1 reversible Phillips bit, and 1 reversible flat-blade bit. Each component forcibly clicks into its mating component upon reversing its position. The reversible shaft can be used on most common hose clamps (but don't loose the bit). Mine are all ancient, and have proven themselves over decades of professional shipwright use, but they look quite like this.
Are you sure you can reconcile your two statements - considering you also included a picture with 4 parts?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 17:02   #60

Just put a happy face following "but don't lose the bit."