Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 13:33   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: What is the best material for renewing non-skid deck for older Dehler?

I have Treadmaster in a few limited areas of my boat. It's great, and I don't know what the adhesive backing is but it's tenacious and I've not had it fail anywhere. Down side is that it is fairly hard with aggressive tread and I suspect any extended area would be hard on bare feet, particularly wet ones.

The Raptor product looks a bit softer, and has the added benefit of being available in quite a few colors. Lastly, it looks significantly less expensive than Treadmaster.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 15:24   #17

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I forgo buying and applying the KiwiGrip. I'm redoing my nonskid deck now, after some research and experience from two sailing mates of mine one who just returned from 9 years around the world trip. both had applied a tennis court paint, Called "Acrylmeric SportsCote PFT" From Colormaker Ind. In Brookvale NSW Aust. +61 2 9939 7977.

This product is water based, not normally marketed for boat decks, it should be as there is nothing better including I discovered KiwiGrip.

My boat is Aluminum, however, it can be applied on most surfaces, made for application on concrete, it can also be applied on Fiber Glass, wood, steel, and aluminum decks once primed with an undercoat, in your case it seems your boat is FG., I would apply is directly on your deck once you did the normal sanding cleaning. Unlike some non-skid paint on the market, this is not a product with rubber, grit or sand, mixed in paint to achieve a nonslip surface.

This is one of a number of reasons why I like this product. Plus it is inexpensive as it cost me only AUD 285 for 15 liters, they can mix the color you want. This is how you apply the thick like paint with a trowel, not a brush, then roll over it with a pattern roller to give the Sportscote coating the nonskid surface you would like. If the pattern is too aggressively sharp under foot, you can it is easy to sand the sharp spikes back a touch, especially if your genoa foot touches the surface to reduce wear.

The other benefit I discovered is, as it insulates, the deck the deck does not become hot to walk on in bare feet even if you select a color other than off-white or cream.

Please note, I have no interest in this company or marketing of this product, I'm just a happy customer who made a discovery for a new application other than for tennis. Good luck with it, I Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by systik View Post
I've been looking for different materials to use for renewing my boat's non-skid areas. Looks like older Dehlers had some kind of special material glued on the non-skid areas that looked like this:

My boat's previous owners have painted it but it would be better to replace those. I have not succeeded to find this material. Does anybody have any idea what this could be and where to get it?

In case I'm not able to find it, I think I'll just go with KiwiGrip as it looks like it is durable and easy to apply. If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to recommend me some alternatives. Thank you!
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 15:33   #18

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Having just used KIWI GRIP for the first time [the owner wanted to use it] i found it is NOT a good non-slip surface when wet, the application was straight forward, i prefer using a non-skid product, that is applied to wet paint, covering all the paint, after drying, the excess product is vacuumed up and a overcoat applied,this Technic eliminates any voids, having used products with a non-skid additive included, i have found that it is impossible to not have some voids, even though the paint is kept stirred up, the pros do not use this system because of this problem.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 15:52   #19

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

At the risk of overloading you with options, TREADGRIP is an Australian product that has been fantastic on PILAR's decks. It is water based, with premixed bits of rubber for non-skid that is super easy to apply evenly. Amazing how even the coat lays down. I remember being told they use it on tennis courts, for the flexibility it gives. On a boat deck, it is much softer on bare skin than other coatings. It was worth the extra price of shipping to get it to me in the Philippines.

Tredgrip | AI Coatings
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 16:48   #20

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Used window screen cut to pattern non skid areas. Paint one coat mono poxy place screens down second coat over it. Pull up screen while paint is tacky to reveal non skid. Knock down with wet and dry if too proud.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 17:49   #21

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

our non-slip is white / this time around we are trying uv stabilized epoxy flow coat with white commercial non-slip grit / can't report yet it hasn't done the test of time but looks promising
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 20:19   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, for the uninitiated, there are many different types of Treadmaster, including various grip styles, & agressivenesses. Along with faux teaks, & even grip surfaces for stairs & ladders which supposedly glows so that you can see the treads. Though I've yet to try this one myself.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 00:53   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Here's another product: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/tuff...B28hoCSXLw_wcB
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:32   #24

Boat: Nordic 44

Its hard to tell from your photo but could your material be TBS? Is it about 1/16" thick, glued and or sitting in a slight recess? If so just paint it with Interlux Interdeck paint. It starts to crack as it gets older but it is long lasting. It can be easily glued if its coming up by using 3M 4000 and a weight. TBS can be purchased in the UK but I dont think in the US. Its really an excellent material.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:23   #25

Boat: Sceptre 41

I applied Kiwigrip to a boat last fall. It was very easy. Prepped and painted a 10 meter boat in two long days by myself. Rained two days later and I had no problem with grip. Here are some pictures http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...id-174601.html

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I applied Kiwigrip to a boat last fall. It was very easy. Prepped and painted a 10 meter boat in two long days by myself. Rained two days later and I had no problem with grip. Here are some pictures http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...id-174601.html
Can you tell us how you applied it. In the thread you linked to you said you used a brush & notched trowel. I assume you rolled the product out. Did you use the Kiwi Grip rollers?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06   #27

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

We did Kiwi Grip a few years ago after old treadmaster was removed. It is EXTREMELY easy to use, you control how aggressive non skid you want and Willy (US distributor) is available and very helpful. First picture is before, next two are KIWI GRIP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fore deck before.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	138838   Click image for larger version

Name:	fore deck after.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	138839  

Click image for larger version

Name:	side deck.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	138840  

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/eleanormay/
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

FWIW, lots of folks simply buy industrial epoxy nonskid paint for about $50/gal. Though I'd be sure to get stuff which will handle high moisture exposure. To preferably including doing a bit of testing on a few types first. But the price is nice, & it's been mentioned quite often here on CF, including what type, & who makes it. And it also gets plenty of mention in magazine articles on fitting out/building boats.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16   #29

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I'm for Kiwigrip also. I've done 2 of my boats with it, and I think it's great. Easy to apply, clean up, non toxic, vary the texture and color if you like. Apply two coats. One note of caution: If you spill acetone/ lacquer thinner on it, dab up the spill immediately, and let it evaporate. If you wipe it, the solvent will soften the finish and remove it. Some one posted they didn't think it cleaned up well. I've had no problems keeping it clean. Worst case, use Ajax type cleaner for stains( I know, I know...) If you've gutted a fish and blood stains won't come off, simply scrub the area (Ajax again ) and re coat it. I've done this where I dripped some varnish that dried before I saw it. Can't tell. I wish I invented it.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:32   #30

It is easy and non toxic. I tried some some quick touchup patches with it once, just before sundown and the dew was settling. I discovered it set up over the moisture and next am was not stuck and stretchy just like a latex glove... only very fragile. It appeared just like latex paint to me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck