Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 12:19   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Washdown Pump

I was changing out the hose on my wash down pump When I grabbed one of the fittings the intake for the pump broke off and water started leaking into the boat. I raised the hose a few inches and it was above the non heeling waterline. This led me to think that if some how the pump brokeI would have a pretty bad leak. The pump is protected and not somewhere it could get stepped on. But should I put something like a vent loop in the system to prevent leaking. I would have to replumb quite a bit but is it important? What does the ABYC say about this,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10   #2

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Washdown Pump

I just put in a washdown pump and will use it occasionally. I have a ball value on the thru haul that is is connected too and have to open it to use the pump. Then if there is a leak it only leaks when I am using the pump and will notice it before it become a problem. Dave
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:35   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38

If you put a vented loop on the suction side of the pump, then it will cause the pump to fail by sucking in the vented air. You should put a vented loop on the pressure side to prevent a syphon action from flooding the boat.

The best protection you can have to prevent leaks from the suction side of the pump is the use of a seacock on the inlet through-hull.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Thanks for the ideas and info. The pump has a thru hull but it is shared with the head intake. I am reworking the PO messes and while looking at it I thought it didn't look right. I think that an additional ball valve will be the way to go so that if there is a leak in the wash down pump I can isolate it and still use the head.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Ball valves or seacocks are a must on all through hulls! A vented loop in your installation would not help.... BUT a high water alarm and good bilge pump would until you could close the valve!

FWIW, When I rig a boat, I always try to cross connect my intakes (unless I can have a proper sea chest) with intervening valves, this way if one primary hose fails I don't lose water elsewhere when I close a seacock....Also, with such a set-up, if one TH clogs, I can source water from another and deal with the clog when convenient.