Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 06:37   #1

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
Warranty regarding blistering

I'm looking over my contract and warranty for my new boat that is about to be built. It gives a 10 year warranty on blistering with the following condition:

The boat musty be hauled at least once every 12 months and stored on dry land for 30 continuous days. The first annual haul out can't come before 9 months after initial launch. Also, that 1 coat of bottom paint (equivalent to that originally applied by seller at the time of original commissioning) must be applied prior to re-launch.

Not that it will happen, I know this is a quality built yacht (Passport) but would you consider this a reasonable condition???
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:48   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael201
...would you consider this a reasonable condition???
Entirely reasonable - IF you happen to be the manufacturer!!

Sounds like a great "get out of jail free" card to me...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:38   #3

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
I was employed in management with a quality yacht builder for several years. The question of liability for blisters has been a difficult one for builders. Even today, the reasons for and causes of blisters is not fully understood and there is still much disagreement among the "experts." I am no expert, but it appears that blistering MAY be caused by a number of very complex, sometimes interconnected, factors including resin quality, manufacturing processes, climate at time of lay-up, and water salinity.

Some builders will include a fabulous blister warranty as a marketing tool. However, once you read the fine print, the warranty isn't all that great. For exmple you may have to return the boat to China at you own expense to have any warranty work done on the blisters. Some builders do this because they know that blisters on a boat is still something of a "crap shoot." They put so many caveats into their warranties that they are almost impossible to enforce.

My best advice is to pay extra for an epoxy barrier coat of specied mil thickness (if one is not included) before the bottom paint goes on. Other than that I have seen many blister warranties as pretty much useless.
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 17:03   #4
cruiser

In the 80s I was told of a guy in Vancouver who had major blistering problems with his new Beneteau. When he complained tot he company they told him to get lost. He spent the summer cruising around Vancouver with the words"My Beneteau is a piece of **** " spraypainted a couple of feet high on both his topsides . He then got compensated.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 17:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Not that it will happen, I know this is a quality built yacht (Passport) but would you consider this a reasonable condition???
It's easier than some that are even built better. They don't like to be exposed to such things if they can help it. They make it pretty expensive for you to collect.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote