Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 01:08   #31

Re: Twin Steering Wheels

This is the Hanse 315

It has a wide ass and twin helms look like a sensible solution. A single fixed helm would just be useless when sailing if it is small and a pain to pass if it is big.

On my Jeanneau I love that I don't need to climb over the seats to get forward of the helm or getting back there and when docked it's great for access. It's not a fad, it's just a sensible solution for modern boat designs.
Old 27-02-2016, 01:47   #32

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

This photo showcases one the worst compromises of such wide cockpits... they're having to hang on so they don't fall across the cockpit (or worse). Where a narrow cockpit allows one to comfortably brace his feet on the opposite seat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 02:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
This photo showcases one the worst compromises of such wide cockpits... they're having to hang on so they don't fall across the cockpit (or worse). Where a narrow cockpit allows one to comfortably brace his feet on the opposite seat.
I can't comment on the Hanse but on my Jeanneau, there is no bracing issues so no need of a narrow cockpit.
Old 27-02-2016, 16:05   #34

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Ususally I try to sail my boat flatter, because it goes faster that way, and it's more comfy. However, I do sometimes let it all hang out and let it heel cause it feels so fun. Then I have plenty of things to brace against. All sailboats move, and we need to brace when that happens. I like larger sailboats for lots of reasons. The large cockpit works just fine. And yes, I do sometimes walk back and forth behind the twin wheels. Usually saying something like, "Avast, me Hearties!" or "Shiver me tembers, but a tot 'o rum would be nice about now. Eh, Jim me boy!"
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 17:22   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Simple solution to stop her falling across the cockpit. And it will make the boat sail better too: "Girl, git yo skinny ass up on that rail!"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 04:34   #36

Personally I would never consider wheel steering on a 31 foot boat to be a sensible solution unless the guy driving it also has a captain's hat with the leafy gold embroidery on the visor, but in this case those wells for the helmsman all the way in the back of the cockpit on either side look pretty silly without the wheels in them on the tiller steering version.

One of the things I always find most offensive when builders/marketing people insist on putting wheels on small boats is the fact that to accommodate wheel steering the cockpit bench seats are invariably made too short to lay down on unless you are a dwarf. Even if you get the tiller version they are worthless in this respect because of cut outs for the wheel steering version molded into the cockpit.

Sure, tillers are old fashioned and wheels look "cool" and true that nothing boosts a small ego better than a pair of "destroyer" wheels but does the boat buying public really want a boat that you can't comfortably take a snooze in the cockpit on?

This boat would have a relatively huge cockpit for entertaining if the bench seats carried all the way aft. Missed opportunity on such a small boat. A normal person couldn't lay down on those benches without kicking their feet through the wheels and having them destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	119736  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, wheel