Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 10:15   #31

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Teak decks what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRbar View Post
Rob
I have an older boat with teak decks that need redo; bungs and caulk. Original teak was 11/16” with about 1/2” left. About the Fein tool. My grooves need to be cut deeper, does the tool do that as well as remove caulk?

I already have a multi tool and love it. It does to remodeling what the Sawzall did to demolition in the 60’s and 70’s.
Rob
I principally used a small router to deepen the grooves. Some people use small circular saws. The fein groove cleaner isn't made for that.

I replaced all the screws that came out one way or the other. A few just didn't co-operate and those holes were filled with epoxy and bung.

Rob did a good job on the re-finish. I like the silver look on teak so I allowed mine to gray out. After caulking you have to do some sanding anyway to even out the seams. Maintenance is using a 1 part cleaner by Teak Decking Systems

Re-finishing isn't hard, just time consuming. The hardest part is that I did have to replace some of the original deck planks. Getting the old ones up could be a chore. I got my teak planks from Florida Teak and then with a router and a rabbiting bit cut the side groove and a thickness planer for the required height.

Yes, the Fein Multimaster is probably my most used plug in tool. It is also without doubt the best oscillating tool out there. Of course there are many copies out there since their patent expired. Some of the copies will numb your hands in about 10 minutes use.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:27   #32
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Beautiful job!
Our deck is 39 years old and still working well with some variations on your method.
FWIW Jamestown supply will sell you 3/8 teak plugs for $18 per 100. Personally wouldn't bother with a plug cutter for the savings.
Please post a picture of the blade for the Fein tool. This is a big step forward in teak deck management.
TML
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:28   #33

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 47.7

My deck is not slats it is large pieces with grooves cut in to look like a slatted deck, no fasteners were used.
RobTryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:34   #34

I don't see why, The boat came with teak and I was doing a refit. I would have painted and nonskided if it had not had teak? Doing the deck repair was much less work, and less expensive than if I was repainting. Oh ya looks amazing!
Old 11-12-2017, 11:05   #35

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml View Post
Beautiful job!
Our deck is 39 years old and still working well with some variations on your method.
FWIW Jamestown supply will sell you 3/8 teak plugs for $18 per 100. Personally wouldn't bother with a plug cutter for the savings.
Please post a picture of the blade for the Fein tool. This is a big step forward in teak deck management.
TML
Actually I make my own bungs. I use scrap teak and I can cut 100 bungs in less than 1/2 hour. Main thing is I don't have to wait when I run out, just make some more.

Gap sealant blade and the blade I use to trim the bungs. I get most of my Fein blade from multifit blades
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12140182-origpic-c5fe95.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	160376   Click image for larger version

Name:	157.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	160377  

Old 11-12-2017, 12:03   #36

Ditto on the 2 part cleaners. They brighten the wood wonderfully, but they're acid based and will eat the softer portions of the teak.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:28   #37

Boat: Stevens 47

Now that you've done all that work, make sure you never use anything but a sponge to clean your deck. Even a soft brush will wear the teak.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:06   #38

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ditto on the gold star. It looks great.
x3! Great info. Good discussion. Thanks for sharing!!
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:20   #39

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Nice job. Well done. I redid the decks on our F and C 44 that we had 15 years ago in Ventura. Took me all winter. Have fond memories of that time for some reason, maybe it was the town and the boatyard. we lived aboard too. Don't think I could ever do that again though.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:21   #40

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Old salts in Italy claim that salt water is the only treatment to deck.

A teak deck is like a RR. Those who haven't say it is stupid to have it, those who have drive and enjoy it.

I really do not understand why a teak-deck should be a no-go. This is a CF fad which happily l didn't buy in :-)

PS of course chandlers and coating cos. pretend to sell cleaners and coating...:-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:28   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Old salts in Italy claim that salt water is the only treatment to deck.

A teak deck is like a RR. Those who haven't say it is stupid to have it, those who have drive and enjoy it.

I really do not understand why a teak-deck should be a no-go. This is a CF fad which happily l didn't buy in :-)

PS of course chandlers and coating cos. pretend to sell cleaners and coating...:-)
Salt water has been used on wood decks for hundreds of years. It keeps the wood damp and ensures it expands and of course stops any shrinkage. Salt is hydroscopic and it attracts moisture .
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:45   #42

Boat: Boatless

Well done!!!

Bravo!!!!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 20:26   #43

Boat: Hans Christian 43

I am greatly impressed with the results.
Could you spare a few more details regarding the finishing work?
1- Would you use epoxy again to glue in the bungs, did it bleed into the wood in any significant way?
2-What product did you use for your new caulking?
3-What was your sanding procedure, tools of choice, grits...

Looks fantastic, I'd show your pics to my wife but I know what that would do to my spring months.

Jim
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 00:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
I am greatly impressed with the results.
Could you spare a few more details regarding the finishing work?
1- Would you use epoxy again to glue in the bungs, did it bleed into the wood in any significant way?
2-What product did you use for your new caulking?
3-What was your sanding procedure, tools of choice, grits...

Looks fantastic, I'd show your pics to my wife but I know what that would do to my spring months.

Jim
The epoxy worked great, my deck was already glued down so I just drilled to gelcoat then put in the bungs.

I used TDS products.

I had a Ridgid DA sander, started with 60 finished with 80. I had to fix the sander twice ( the main bearing) right at the last I got a new DeWalt and I think its a better tool.
Old 14-12-2017, 03:18   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Rob good job. Not sure if you stated but I was wondering if you re-bedded all the boards or just pulled all the screws. If you just pulled the screws and put bungs in the holes what will hold the boards down? On my decks I removed all the screws and bunged the holes and this was a temporary fix until I pulled all the boards. It took about 6 months then all the boards started popping as the adhesive holding the boards let go and with no screws there was nothing to hold the boards down.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck