Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 11:46   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Taking on Water

We were getting some water leaking in on the foredeck around the base of the staysail's Hoyt boom. Re-bedding the flange solved the problem.

If you have rust stains around your rudder post, by all means check it out, and make sure your rudder post is sound. Don't take any chances with your steering system!
Old 23-09-2013, 12:08   #17

I can't tell from your post...Do you have spray on the deck on the days that it's leaking?

Deck leaks can travel surprising distances horizontally on their journey to the bilge.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 16:27   #18

Boat: Island Packet 370

Ok.....We checked everything out that you all have mentioned. We have actually learned more about our boat crawling around with a flashlight looking for leaks!

I think we found it and it is so obvious I am almost ashamed to admit where we think it is coming from. This Island Packet has a sugar scoop transom, with a nice hot/cold shower set up. It is low enough on the side of the scoop to take wave action when motoring in choppy seas. We discovered this idea last night while anchored North of Pamlico sound on the ICW. We tried to cover the area with a plastic bag zipped tied around it.

Today we came south around and down the Neuse River it was pretty choppy. I crawled back under the suspect area while Cathy motored in the choppy seas. She yelled down that it was getting rougher, about that time I got a face full of water. This was with the area sealed way better in a make shift manner.

We really like the idea of the transom shower and have used them on other boats. We can not understand how this one would not be a problem. Its obviously low enough to take water and the shower hose just pulls out thru a plastic fitting. We are wondering if the PO has messed with it and left some parts out? I will not feel good about taking this boat out in open rough water till we have some kind of fool proof cover for this shower hose opening.

I plan on checking the Island Packet forum and see if anyone else has had problems, and try and see if something is missing from our set up.

Thanks for all the suggestions by looking at all of those areas we have become aware of potential problems for the future.

Bob
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 16:55   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Bob,

The factory can be a big help in issues like yours. It's been a number of years since I contacted them, but at that time Tom Broome was, and probably still is, the manager of customer service. He was always very supportive. Give them a call and see what they say. It doesn't matter that you're not the original owner. IP stands behind it's boats 100%.
Old 26-09-2013, 17:21   #20

I had a scupper hose break at the through the hull about 40% through. It was water tight until the boat moved. Put paper around the hull see which gets wet first.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water