Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 16:57   #1

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Suggestions for Steel Primer System

When I bought my boat ten years ago, the bottom paint was immaculate, despite having been sat at the dock for seven years with almost not maintenance. The system that the original owner/builder used was amazing, and it's only now starting to show its cracks. Unfortunately, I can't contact this person, and I also don't have any documentation on board for what he used.

So my question is, what kind of a primer coat/system should I use if i strip to bare metal? Is there any chance to keep what's already on there, and just patch over with some generic epoxy resin primer? The problem areas are almost all less than six inches long, with many of them at the waterline. It surely looks like what is on here alread is a type of epoxy, just from the powdery appearance when I abraded some off during my last anti-fouling haulout.

I've searched the forums for a few dozen pages of threads without a whole lot of specific suggestions, outside of Pelagic's "Life's a Blast!" thread, which was nice to see the bare metal in The primary limitation I have isn't so much budget (although it's obviously a consideration, since I don't have unlimited funds) but rather what I can get here in the Philippines.

Note that I have re-painted the entire deck with a local epoxy polyamide gray paint from Island Paints. The side of the can says:

Epoxy/Polyamide 40%
Resin Solution AC/Prime 10-15%
Pigments Extender 32-37%
Additives 1%
Solvents 17%

I understand this is a proverbial 'can of worms' question, but I could use as much advice as possible, even if it contradicts other suggestions. Mostly, I need a place to start. I've gotten ok with fiberglass maintenance, but I'm kind of at the beginning with steel. Thanks for taking the time to consider my question!
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Only questions...

I've tried everything that I can think of to patch up th few rust spots on Boracay while it's in the water and nothing seems to really work. I'm hoping to make a special effort next time I come out...

My bottom paint was truly RS. If the bottom paint dried out everything flaked of in big patches leaving behind differing levels of paint that seemed to terminate in bare metal. Nothing seemed to work.

The the yard shipwright suggested painting with large amounts of International Primocon before it all dried out. We did, and, fingers crossed, it all seems to be holding together.

The proper answer is a full reblast and repaint, but I'm not that desperate, yet...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:44   #3
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
R.S.

Wondering if our good American friends understand the meaning of "R.S" Perhaps they think your bottom paint may have some funny disease.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Wondering if our good American friends understand the meaning of "R.S" Perhaps they think your bottom paint may have some funny disease.
This Canadian friend doesn't understand the term.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote