Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 23:28   #1

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
State of the Union Address

Well

Nine weeks to go and about 10 work days left.

Now having said that we will go when ready and living in the North when the Weather lets us. I could be waiting for a break in the weather in bloody August!

I have over the past couple of years entered into some lively debates:-) But I think I should give some feedback on the various pojects.

Capehorn Windvane installed despite the worst instruction manual that a non engineer has ever read! I should test this bit of kit before I leave.

Propane installed 2 x10 lb and 1 x20lb tank. No room on the stern for 2x20. Give up on the esthetically pleasing. They are on and bolted and aint moving.

ICOM m710.

Got beat up here on Ebay. Sold as good working condition. Icom Vancouver say minimum $250 fix. A lot of time , grief and money went into this. I suffered much ridicule and after all is said and done it is bust! No reception! Some folk are not honest!

New battery bank installed. Golf cart style.

SOlar panels 2x 100watts.

Fourwinds gen installed.

Morningstar and tristar monitor and controller installed. No fires so I think I got it right!.

Mast steps installed to spreader.

Head Sail furler refitted.

Replaced all lights with LED bulbs. God bless china and ebay.

Kat E 40 watermaker mounted and ready to go!

Viking 4 man Offshore Liferaft just bought.

Standard Horizon Matrix AIS VHF Radio bought. I listened to the arguments and one day I will have a Vesper, but it is out of reach at the moment. The add ons do make a difference to me. In the end it was which AIS system can I afford. Also I am tired of refitting. This is a simple install.

Well I stired up the hornets nest by asking the quetion are EPIRBS an outdated concept for us small boat owners?

I looked at my reality. Looked at the facts and went for 2 epirb devices that are tied to our life vests. They call them laptops. Opps sorry I meant PLB's.
Bought the ARC Aqua 2181.

Anchoring 48lb Mantus and 250ft of 3/8 Chain.

Fridge Got an Engel. Bought it from the distributor in the States and had it shipped and saved a packet. Strange world. The dealer in Vancouver Bc wanted $700 more?

Anyway I am now broke, saving up for corned beef for the voyage!.

have a shoot load of work to do on all my projects. Like throw hulls which I need winter to go away for a while and then I can finnish a mess of the above jobs.

I cant wait to go sailing, for a rest:-)
Old 27-04-2013, 07:03   #2

Re: State of the Union Address

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather will allow you to enjoy the fruits of your labor very soon!

There is no cure for birth or death save to enjoy the interval... George Santayana
madtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 07:49   #3

Boat: Irwin 40

Return the SSB if it does not work and the seller said it did. Paypal is very good about seeing you get a refund if it was not as described. Even if it said no returns if it was not what the seller said you will get a refund
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 08:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Return the SSB if it does not work and the seller said it did. Paypal is very good about seeing you get a refund if it was not as described. Even if it said no returns if it was not what the seller said you will get a refund
Yep, unless you waited too long, which likely with that type of thing I suppose. IF not, do a "not as advertised" and you will get refunded. Trust me, I've been on the seller's end, and it doesnt take much for Paypal to take the buyer's side!
Why so much propane? sounds like a PITA on a small boat.... Glad you're getting close. A friend of mine and his wife sailed their Dufour 34 round the world. They were fro Quebec

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:07   #5

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

It took me so long to find the other bits; tuner, which grounding system, Ariel etc then put it together Then figure out that it was not my install that was at fault. Well next time LOL

Why so much propane?
1) Mrs is a chef! keep her happy.
2) Route we are taking 30 to 40 days to the Marquises Islands.
3) Cause if I would have taken less someone would have asked why I am taking more lol.
4) My Mrs is Thai, she does not handle the cold well. Boat has a force 10 Cosy Cabin heater. Great but burns about 1 lb an hour on full. We will be setting off from just South of the Alaskan Pan handle. Could be cold and miserable for the first week or so.