Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2008, 18:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
stainless zerks

looking for 316 stainless steel grease fittings in 1/8 - 27 NPT. Can only find 304 SS.
Help!
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 19:59   #2

I don't know where you are so cannot give you a lead to a specific supplier - and if you are in the USA I am not familiar enough to give a specific lead there in any event.

BUT the following may get you on your way. 316 ss zerks (here they are usually called "grease nipples") are pretty easy to obtain here in NZ and in Australia in all of NP, BS and M threads so they are made and I can only assume can therefore be readily found in other countries provided one knows where to look for them. Here they are commonly stocked by the big fastener (bolts, studs, screws, rivets, etc) suppliers to industry, and maybe that is the case where you are if you have not eliminated such suppliers already. I have found that these places stock all sorts of interesting fasteners in non ferrous materials and plastics and on occasion if I have only needed a few of a small item they have just made a gift of it to me.

In the end, I am unsure of any situation that would actually demand 316ss over 304ss.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 20:09   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The steel ones are so cheap why not change them every time you pump in the grease.

BTW Steel grease zerks are heat treated. I would think 316 would be too soft. 304 is a bit tougher.

How about Monel??? Press Release - Alemite

Not cheap!

http://www.alemite.com/catalog/detai...fittings_monel

https://www.restockit.com/3-4-x-1-8-...5-1961-B).html
Old 22-11-2008, 02:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Zerk” nipple-style grease fittings are named for their inventor, Oscar U. Zerk.

Arthur Gulborg of the the Alemite Co. invented (1919 ?) the world’s first pin - and button-type fittings that temporarily sealed to matched couplings on the end of pressurized grease guns. Those early grease fittings are now called Alemites.

In 1922, Oscar Zerc patented the ball or nipple-type grease fitting; which the Allyne-Zerk Co. manufactured until 1924, when the Alemite Co. purchased them.

Monel Fittings withstand the most severe marine and industrial corrosive environments. Monel is a nickel/copper alloy that is highly resistant to corrosion. All Alemite Monel fittings have a single notch on the hex for identification.
All Alemite Stainless Steel fittings have two notches for identification.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 05:36   #5
Marine Service Provider

I've searched many many sources in the US and only found 304 & 303. Some of the major supply houses like McMaster Carr only have 440.
The Monel is too expensive for my taste.
My fallback position is to buy plenty of the 304 and change them out every few years. Just trying to 'do the right thing' with 316 if possible.
Old 23-11-2008, 04:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

correction...mcmaster carr has 303 SS. I did a lot of searching and confused them with grainger who does have 440.

And McM has monel at $7.50; some places are listing $22 each for monel.