Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 20:38   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Sidney, BC - spring haul yard recommendations

My apologies for this being a duplicate thread. It occured to me that putting the geographic location in the title was very important to get proper exposure.

I need to choose a place for some basic spring maintenance in Sidney, BC. I hate just picking somebody at random and recommendations would be appreciated (as would warnings). I am looking for competent work at a reasonable price (aren't we all) but have really no way of comparing the outfits. Even if we assume they both do good work and have similar hourly rates, I can't see how one can compare costs.
So, anyone care to recommend a boat yard ?

BTW, I am looking at getting some minor dings fixed, hull cleaned and waxed, hopefully last years bottom coat is still good so just a pressure wash and, last but not least, I need an 'indiscretion' fixed in the lead keel (damn rocks!)

I am looking at Blackline Marine and West Bay Marine but if there is some other yard I should look at then by all means, please mention it.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 21:02   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Sidney, BC - spring haul yard recommendations

In Sidney BC I have not heard of the outfits you mentioned having haul out facilities, however that doesn't mean they don't exist. I have used Vector Marine also called The Boat Yard locally. A bit pricey but they have good travel lifts and a very professional staff. Do your own work or they have a full staff to do it for you. Another good Yard in Sidney, BC is Canoe Cove Marina, again they will haul out with a good crew and pressure wash the bottom, block it, etc. After that either do your own or they have people who will do it for you. The above mentioned have 50 ton travel lifts. West Bay Marina is down town Victoria and has no facilities for repairs. Blackline Marine are contractors that use the Canoe Cove Marina yard for their haul outs.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:43   #3
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Sidney, BC - spring haul yard recommendations

I must have gotten my West Bay Marina name mixed up ..... yup, that was supposed to read WestPort Marina.
Due to health reasons, all the work will be hired out. Given the choices between Vector Marine, Canoe Cove Marine through Blackline or WestPort Marina with their contractors, who would you choose ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote