Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2012, 12:46   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Running lines back to cockpit

I would appreciate help to figure out the following.
My boat is an Endeavour 37 (just purchased in July of this year). I want to run the following lines back to the cockpit (they are currently only accessable from on-deck at the mast):
- main halyard
- spare line running up front of mast (not currently used)
- reefing line
- lazy jack adjustment lines (2)
So... that's a total of five lines. I thought I'd run the lines back to the same area under the dodger on the starboard side and use a single winch where necessary to tighten any one of them at a time, as necessary - probably mainly need a winch on the main halyard and possibly the reefing line (I plan to install a single-line jiffy reef system).

I know I've got to drill some holes to run the lines through a raised area on the deck in front of the dodger. What pullies, hardware, etc. is optimal to use to rig this setup the most efficiently?
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 13:21   #2

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Re: Running lines back to cockpit

I did the same project earlier this year. I walked up and down my dock, looking at other boats for ideas. I ended up installing two winches, two double clutches and two sets of double line organizers. Worked out fine.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 13:31   #3

Here's a link to the thread I started on Sailnet. At the end are a couple of pics of my new setup, installed 3 months ago.

Converting to double-line reefing - Page 3 - SailNet Community

The hardware is all Garhauer, except for the winch which is a used Barient off Ebay. Garhauer stuff is very competitively priced and works well.

I've had a chance to use it all for a few months and it works great. This system has 2 lines per reef.

The one thing I'd suggest you think about is that you are sure to want to add more lines later, so plan ahead for some spare capacity.

Are you sure one reefing line is enough? Single line reefing is not well thought of, so I'd at least leave one spare to switch to 2-line reefing.

I kept the main halyard separate on the other side of the coaming.

Ergonomically, I do not think it'll be convenient to have one winch for the main halyard AND the reefing. I leave the main halyard on it's own winch all the time, so it can be re-tensioned.

The sequence for reefing is :

Ease main halyard
Pull reefing tack line down so the white mark on the line is at the clutch (easy, little force needed)
Tension main halyard
Tension clew line (in a blow needs a winch to do this)

If you have a deck step mast, the normal way to add blocks to the mast base is to add a mast-base organiser. Mine is keel-stepped, and space is restricted, hence the 4 stand up blocks I added.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 13:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'd use a double line reefing system. You'll have a ton of line with considerable resistance on the line with a single line reefing system. I've two winches on the cabin top but could have gotten by with one. You will definitely need to use the winch for the clew reefing lines to get a proper setting sail.

Ran the tack reefing lines and main halyard to stbd side via deck blocks, organizer, clutches and Anderson #12 s/t winch. On port side, ran the clew reefing lines and outhaul with similar hardware set up. Could have saved a winch by running halyard to port side and outhaul to stbd bit got a deal on the winches. The dual line reefing system has worked out super. Easy to set the halyard to a premarked position and then haul down the tack with the reefing lines then retention the halyard. Move to the other side and haul in in the clew. Have always had to use winch to get the last few feet of line to pull the clew tack down and aft to get good looking sail. Can reef in a minute in the comfort of the protection of the dodger.

My lazy Jacks are stored on the mast except when used. Less disruption to airflow over the main and they are out of the way since they are only used to drop the sail. Don't deploy them when hoisting the sail cause they almost always hook a batten and don't need the hassle. Easy to go forward and deploy the lazy jacks coming into the marina to drop the sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit