Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 17:57   #1

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Replacing the mainsail question

So, I cannot find a replacement mainsail for my 23 / 24 foot American Mariner. I have searched this site and found a lot of suggested sites for used sails, but nothing that matches is in stock. The main I have now is the original main, yeah it's cool to have the eagle on it, but it's falling apart. There's at least 4 patches on it.

When I put tape to sail I came up with .... Luff 22'9" leech 23'10" foot 7'9"
+\- an inch.... Rope foot/boom but slides (no rope) up mast track.

I found a used North Sail (clear looking) that is luff 22'8" leech 23' 5" foot 7'
With a bolt rope for mast and boom.

So, smaller somewhat and rope for mast track, not the plastic slide (lugs)????

Thoughts? Will it work? Modifications that will need to be made?
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 18:23   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Replacing the mainsail question

Perhaps a kit mainsail? Sailrite kits are popular with those seeking to economize. I'd get several quotes from the leading sailmakers were I in your shoes. An email requesting a quote costs nothing. You may find one which fits your budget.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 19:36   #3

Boat: Peterson 25T / Sabre 362

I'd start by looking for the sail measurements on a site like here:

AMERICAN 23 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com They have the measurements for the 23 but not the 24.

The P measurement that is Luff length is listed as is the E measurement or foot length. Measuring from the old sail does not work as the luff and foot rope shrink. The leech length can be used as that is the height of the boom. Slides can always be added to a sail.

Good luck,

Edward
Dusty Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:41   #4

Didn't even know Sailrite kits were out there. Very cool, I will check into them.

I checked the sailboat data website and the sails do seem to match the 23" (with some shrinkage). I'm just having a hard time finding one to match. I was wondering effects a slightly smaller sail would have. I have pretty much decided that the nort sail will not work due to being 12" short on the foot.
Old 06-03-2018, 13:12   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

FWIW-
An old sails will have stretched out, it may be 2-5% longer in every dimension than it is supposed to be. So measure with a grain of salt.
I'd also beware of "translucent" sails. That sounds like a laminated sail, and laminations are known to break down after time. Once they start to look like tangerine skin or have small pockets delaminating on them, it spreads and the whole sail is trashed.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 14:10   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Look, if you were to go to a real sailmaker for your sail, he'd come to the boat and measure the hoist and the foot directly, paying no attention at all to the old sail... and that is what you should do, too.

A bit of googling should find you a set of directions for making the measurements... many of the "mail order' lofts have such instructions posted. Armed with that data and the dimensions of your mast track you will be able to find a sail that will work for you.

And FWIW, a sail that is a few percent short on either hoist or foot will be fine, but one that is too long will not. The tiny loss of sail area will be undetectable in performance.

Jim
Old 06-03-2018, 23:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Look, if you were to go to a real sailmaker for your sail, he'd come to the boat and measure the hoist and the foot directly, paying no attention at all to the old sail... and that is what you should do, too.

A bit of googling should find you a set of directions for making the measurements... many of the "mail order' lofts have such instructions posted. Armed with that data and the dimensions of your mast track you will be able to find a sail that will work for you.

And FWIW, a sail that is a few percent short on either hoist or foot will be fine, but one that is too long will not. The tiny loss of sail area will be undetectable in performance.

Jim
These are small sails - you may find a dinghy sail that is a close match (I went to local dinghy club and got a set of graduate sails. No reefing points and no slides - but little investment - so you can try them out).

You either pay for custom sails or compromise.

With a sail even slightly too long and you cant set it properly.

Your sail sounds like is on its last legs - I kept going until my main ripped in half when I jibbed. It was only 45 years old.

If you try another sail without spending a lot on it - you may get a better feel on whether it is worth investing on a new sail.
boatsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30   #8

The sail Warehouse has a "how to measure" sails. Good tip, I will give that a shot this weekend. Maybe I can get a true measurement and find a sail.

At 41 years old, I think it's time to change it. The main is a small sail, but the dingy sails I have looked at, the foot works, but the luff is always to short. But thank you for the info, a little short on one side will not be noticeable.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:38   #9

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Mack Sails has some great videos on how to measure your boat for new sails. Better to measure your boat than your old baggy sails. Also as mentioned before it is free to take a quote from a sail loft and if you follow the measurement video you will be armed with all the info they may want.

I have not done a sail from a SailRite kit but have done sail covers and other projects and their kits are great. I don't have a lot of sewing experience but with access to an appropriate sewing machine and a little practical and trial and error had no problem getting sufficient proficiency.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:50   #10

I just bought a copy of
“The Sailmakers Apprentice”
by Emiliano Marino, 25.00 or so on Amazon
A very worthwhile read and reference book
for any sailor.
If your looking for sails
new/used/trade/sewing DIY
You should read this book
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:46   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

What Jim said. Measure the boat, not the old sail.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56   #12

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

Go to Hyde Sails Direct. They will send you a kit to measure your boat and make yo a sail to fit. Best customer service and price. Ask for Judy.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:19   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
So, I cannot find a replacement mainsail for my 23 / 24 foot American Mariner. I have searched this site and found a lot of suggested sites for used sails, but nothing that matches is in stock. The main I have now is the original main, yeah it's cool to have the eagle on it, but it's falling apart. There's at least 4 patches on it.

I found a used North Sail (clear looking) that is luff 22'8" leech 23' 5" foot 7'

Measuring form sample. I think I have another one as well. Will try to post it
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (95.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post

Here is Kemp's sails form. Basically it should be used for their benefit only.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Measurements - Kemp sails form.pdf (346.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52   #15

You can add slides to that sail. A few inches is not too big a deal really. There are 7" difference though. That's a bit. With a smaller mainsail the boat will have less weather helm if you happen to have too much now. Generally. How much roach does your main have vs the one available ? That can make a big difference in drive.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail