Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 20:37   #1

Refinish Formica Interior

I’m looking at some boats from the 60’s that have wood grain mica bulkheads and cabinets/drawers. Most areas have teak trim.

I’m looking for some ideas for making the interior look better. I’m not really a fan of a lot of white down below.

Is there any kind of finish that can be applied to make it look better?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 21:02   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Refinish mica interior

By mica I presume you mean formica veneer. It's not really all that difficult to put new formica over old. Not exactly cheap though, a friend recently redid his interior and a 4 x 8 ft sheet of formica was about $250. As a personal aside, even if you are not a fan of a lot of white down below, you might want to keep it light. My lady hates being stuck in what she thinks as a cave. Of course you can go too far. She had me sew new cushion covers for the saloon in white naugasoft. I explained it would show all the dirt, stains, etc. *****sigh**** I did it any way and am now making new covers in a printed fabric. Oh well, I guess I don't have enough to do anyway.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 21:16   #3

Re: Refinish mica interior

Right. Wood grain formica that the 60's and 70's loved.
Old 25-08-2011, 02:51   #4

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Refinish Formica Interior

I reckon there must be a thousand different types of material that you could apply over formica sheets. Paints, leather, pseudo suedes, metal finished veneers, wood veneers, metalised acrylics etc etc. Just have a look at some of the interior design magazines and let your imagination run. Maybe even have a brief consultation with an interior designer.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:45   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Paint.

I was faced with much the same problem from the 60's..........in my case grey check formica - on Galley fronts and bulkheads, Formica still in great condition - but just depressing to look at (and on a 30 foot boat no getting away from it!).

What worked for me (and was first tested on some offcuts!) was:-

1) rubbing down the formica (to take the shine off, not the pattern)
2) Primer (nothing special - mine was something universal that covered wood & Metal, but I already knew it worked well on other jobs)
3) Paint (Undercoat and a couple of top coats - plan is to add another next year - I used exterior household gloss paint for wood ).

Wot's it look like? Like painted wood. You either like that - or you don't.

Durability will be a matter of time, but I would say easily on a par with painted wood (and with the same cure) and has taken more than a few knocks over the past year as part of the (ever ) ongoing refurb.

Juts FYI - the Test pieces I tried before starting easily passed the thumbnail test, indeed to remove the paint / primer (without gouging into the formica) needed a scraper..........a sharp one.

One of the more pleasant tasks - effect vs effort

For some reason I can't find any photos
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:00   #6

Boat: Hermann Lazyjack 32 schooner

You don't say what type of boat it is. Two possibilities that give a "traditional" look interior would be,

(1) Paint, either white or another color you'd like, set off with oiled or vanished teak trim. In addition to David's suggestions above re: paint, a couple of companies now make primer and paint specifically made to cover kitchen countertops - the color choices are a bit limited, but the stuff is made to adhere to formica-type surfaces.

(2) The big box stores sell 4x8' sheets of beadboard paneling, a quick check here shows it comes in white, primed ready to paint, and stainable. Would be easy to nail/screw over the existing surfaces (if yours are like mine, it's marine ply faced with a thin sheet of the formica; I've been drilling through the facing into the wood to screw down new cabin lights and fans). You'd probably have to do some creative framing around ports and such. Could be stained a light shade to appear to be teak or other wood.

We had a friend, very handy with fabrics, who did their interior in a padded ultrasuede, actually looked pretty nice.

I agree with the above that you don't want to go too dark a color or the interior will take on a cave-like appearance.
MikeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:17   #7

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Why not just lay teak veneer over it? I did that with a boat belonging to a friend which had had a fire in the forward cabin. All the bulkhead was charred, so we ground it off and laid new teak veneer over it using contact cement.

Yours would be even easier as we had trouble keeping the surface dead flat as we ground away the charred material.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:20   #8

Boat: looking

What's not to love? OK, but it's no bear cave! Even the moonlight, at the right angle, lights up the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30cal04.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	30844   Click image for larger version

Name:	30cal05.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	30845  

Click image for larger version

Name:	30cal06.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	30846  
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:44   #9

whatever you do I would avoid latex hoouse paint. trouble is it really doesnt sand, just kinda peels, youll never get a good finish in the future.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 16:02   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
whatever you do I would avoid latex hoouse paint. trouble is it really doesnt sand, just kinda peels, youll never get a good finish in the future.
Always good to guinea pig new ideas or use things you already know work.

In my case I ummed and arred long and hard on whether to take the formica all off (from elsewhere I found it comes off surprisingly easy once you have an edge - and a heat gun, after that comes an oribital sander).......but I really didn't want to do the fiddling of fitting new Formica, and I prefer the look of painted wood (even if it is really painted Formica ) - looks a bit more homely / in character for a boat designed in the 60's............of course plan B was (is?) to go back to wood.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 17:58   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We've been happy with the products we've bought from these folks:

Bathtub Refinishing Referral Network Do It Yourself Bathtub Refinishing Repair And Paint Store
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:43   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I don't think you will actually find "formica" anymore. The current product name is "kitchen laminate" and is sold in Home Depot for $42 per 4'x8' sheet. It comes in many different surface colours, patterns and textures.
- - Normally it is applied with contact cement over plywood in homes but for the marine uses I use slightly thickened epoxy after cutting and pre-fitting all the pieces. Epoxy comes in many versions from fast setting to quite slow setting depending upon your application and ambient temperature.
- - Depending upon your tastes you can use the stuff to restore that bear cave dark cavern boat interior common to the old teak veneer plywood they used to use - or - use the white laminate and end up with a bright, light, and easy to clean interior.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:51   #13

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I pulled off the old wood grain formica on the 1970 egg harbor and guess what is underneath?
Mahogany plywood, so I stripped and refinished that.
Every bit of the formica, the glue bond had failed.
I suppose formica is hardwearing but does not look as good as finished wood.

The only place I re formica was on the kitchen sink counter.

For the bathroom, I used the vinyl floor tile squares and used that also under the sink and it looks good. they have some nice looking vinyl tiles at
Lowes. Mine look like stone.

I used the contact cement for the kitchen. The edges are held down by wooden trim, so not a big deal if it loosens up in the next 40 years.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 20:00   #14

Thanks. Lots of interesting tips. The boat I am looking at is a 1967 Morgan 34.

I like the look of teak over white so it sounds like I would have to add new wood which would be pricey factoring in drawers and doors..

Guess I'll have to revisit the white with teak trim.
Old 25-08-2011, 20:17   #15

Boat: C&C Newport 41

you can adhere anything to formica. if you like wood and want to match the rest of the interior teak veneer is likely the easiest (about $80 for 4*8 roll) and simply epoxying teak (wood) planking (1*4) with or withing holly.

paint is certainly the easiest of all solutions just make sure u wash the surface with dish soap and prime before painting.

while it is a crappy project, a bunch of hours with a putty blade and a heat gun would be worth it in the long run (unless u plan on selling her). idk where you are located, but i bet posting on craigslist.org you could hire someone for $10 an hour to come in and heat and pry it off.

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior