Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 08:21   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Realistic sized desalinator (water-maker)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtandard View Post
Based on experience, about the minimum amount of water you can get by on is 5 liters per person per day. That is being very tight with water usage and few people would be happy with it. There is no limit to how much water you can use. It comes down to life style.
the minimum amount of water per person per day survival and comfortably are 2 very different numbers and are also dependant on where you are located.
I can get by on less than 2 Lyra per day in high latitude sailing . In the tropics 5 litre a day would be extra conservative .
There is actually a limit to how much you can use in a day . It is the capacity of your pumps. On my boat that equals 2160 us gpd. (My pressure pump delivers up to 1.5 gpm.)

sharing the shower with your significant other will definitely have an impact as well.
Shared showers make for happier sailing .
Old 01-02-2019, 09:00   #62

Boat: hunter 41 DS

I bought a Rainmain portable watermaker and love it. I timed it and in the PNW where the water is colder it filled a 5 gallon jug in just under 9 minutes so that is just over 33 gallons an hour. They have 2 models-one is gas and the other electric. I went with the gas and just set it up on the bow and run it at anchor. See it here www.seataskgroup.com
bradm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:53   #63

As if you need another bit of info, but I’ll toss it in the ring. The two important issues here are
1: how much water will you use per day.
2: how do you manage your power.
The latter is most important. If you use solar then you may get a small gph unit even as small as 5-6 gph and run with low drain for several hours every 1-3 days. (They do like to work, not sit idle). If you use engine or genset for battery charging, a larger unit (20-30 gph) and run only for 1-2 hours when the genset is running. Smaller use 12 volt and are quite efficient and quiet. Larger units are best driven with 120/240 volt motor, tend to be loud but also quite efficient and lower maintenance than 12 volt motor.
You should keep in mind the backflushing required. It makes little sense to run a unit every day producing X gallons of water but then use 1/4-1/3 of that to back flush the membrane. With this in mind, it is often better to run every 2-4 days for longer time.
Also the output of the membrane decreases substantially in colder water. Keep this in mind if cruising away from the tropics.
svandante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:37   #64

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I am busy installing the water tanks right now. I had planned on three tanks down inside the keel plus four "wing-tanks" but have now discarded the wing tanks because I realize I need to increase the size of the house battery bank to 4 X 135 Ah (and I need the room). The three remaining tanks will have a capacity of around 105 US gallons (390 L).

I've looked for threads on desalinators for yachts but they are all technical. My questions are:
  • How many liters per day (or per hour) is a realistic size?
  • Has anyone had feed-back on the kits available for people who prefer to DIY
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boat-des...frcectupt=true

Clive
I sized my watermaker off my use. First I bought a flow meter and tracked how much water I was putting in my tanks for 2 months and arrived at my average daily usage without any water conservation techniques (long hot showers, running the dishwasher and using the washing machine for on oars laundry, etc).

I then sized my watermaker to produce complete replacement water every three days with running the generator no more than 4 hours.

I arrived at a 40 gallon (US) / hr watermaker. This has kept up well with my use even with derating due to lower water temps in the winter. I have an OCD wife that cleans constantly...lots of water use.

I went with the CruiseRO unit. Installation was straightforward and their customer service is outstanding.

I'm currently 70 days and counting from touching a dock and haven't needed to ferry water jugs once.
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 14:20   #65

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandante View Post
As if you need another bit of info, but I’ll toss it in the ring. The two important issues here are
1: how much water will you use per day.
2: how do you manage your power.

Thanks for that: I'll certainly keep that in mind

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 14:31   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunesjester View Post
..........rs laundry, etc).

I then sized my watermaker to produce complete replacement water every three days with running the generator no more than 4 hours.

I arrived at a 40 gallon (US) / hr watermaker. This has kept up well with my use even with derating due to lower water temps in the winter. I have an OCD wife that cleans constantly...lots of water use.

I went with the CruiseRO unit. Installation wa...........

Well I'm not as methodical as you but my wife is OCD too! The unit I have decided on has an output just a bit more than yours so it looks like I'm on the right track.

Thanks

Clive
Old 01-02-2019, 17:39   #67

Just do the experiment,
live for a weekend as if you were on board and measure your water, buy a loflow shower head like you would have on board and measure, or use a bucket if no on board shower, cook, wash up, clean some gear and keep track of what you use. Decant 50 litres into containers and see how far it gets you.
It will give you a much better idea than advice from a forum.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 18:42   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Just do the experiment,
live for a weekend as if you were on board and measure your water, buy a loflow shower head like you would have on board and measure, or use a bucket if no on board shower, cook, wash up, clean some gear and keep track of what you use. Decant 50 litres into containers and see how far it gets you.
It will give you a much better idea than advice from a forum.

I think I'm a pretty ordinary person so I'm happy to find out what others are using. But I'll have to e'rr on the high side as I'd expect to have "a crew" a lot of the time.

Clive
Old 02-02-2019, 06:00   #69

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

Only you really know how much water you need..some.cruisers.use 10 gallons a day some a 100 gallons...also depends on the power to run a watermaker and for how long..I use to run my.small watermaker around noon off my solarpanels now I have a bigger unit and I need to have the engine runnning
rickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:21   #70

There is an inexpensive water maker(s) here:
https://seawaterpro.com/
mfahrenthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:53   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfahrenthold View Post
There is an inexpensive water maker(s) here:
https://seawaterpro.com/
the biggest issue is the cheap system uses a pressure washer that is not designed to run sea water so it won't last very long ( perhaps a single or possibly 2 seasons at best.
If you go this route spend the extra grand for the stainless pump
Old 02-02-2019, 10:15   #72

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillaroo View Post
This season I will be replacing most parts in the Clark pump with their rebuild kit.
Can you provide the model number for that pump please?

I talked with Sea Water Pro a lot. Last year he had an all bronze pump as an upgrade option and told me in over 200 units sold, he'd never had an issue with the cheap Karcher pump and he'd had issues with the bronzen pump and recommended not buying it. Now he's saying the Karcher pumps last 2 years and is selling a SS pump. Not sure SS pump is better than bronze, actually think it isn't.

I've always thought the weak point in his design was the pump. It's clever what he came up with but I'd rather put in a great quality pump and not have to worry about replacing it on a regular basis.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16   #73

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I am busy installing the water tanks right now. I had planned on three tanks down inside the keel plus four "wing-tanks" but have now discarded the wing tanks because I realize I need to increase the size of the house battery bank to 4 X 135 Ah (and I need the room). The three remaining tanks will have a capacity of around 105 US gallons (390 L).

I've looked for threads on desalinators for yachts but they are all technical. My questions are:
  • How many liters per day (or per hour) is a realistic size?
  • Has anyone had feed-back on the kits available for people who prefer to DIY
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boat-des...frcectupt=true

Clive
you could start by reading this thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ose-93582.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:04   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
ok now we are getting somewhere . With what you have listed I would say use 1/3 of your current water usage as a base point . And work from there .
I don't think that is realistic at all. In Sydney in summer we used to use 1200 litres a day! Watering lawns, veggies, washing cars etc. Automatic sprinkler systems, washing machines, dishwashers, swimming pools, spas....

On the boat it's around 40 litres per day.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:12   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I don't think that is realistic at all. In Sydney in summer we used to use 1200 litres a day! Watering lawns, veggies, washing cars etc. Automatic sprinkler systems, washing machines, dishwashers, swimming pools, spas....

On the boat it's around 40 litres per day.
1200 lpd ? How many people how much land?
That's over 3,000 gallons

you really added that much water to your pool daily.
40 lpd is not that unrealistic for a hot summer day for " x" people ( you don't say) so I will assume 4 people then 10 lpd per person isn't that far off with a daily shower each.

The truth is I was trying to politely talk him into actually looking at his consumption.

Tags
size, water