Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2024, 19:57   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Polite Beach Antifouling Question

This is hilarious, I am not the sharpest nail in the pack. But a two minute google search found the relevant links to Washington law and there's even a flyer for those who are mentally challenged and need a visual clue that what they're doing is wrong.
Some of you need to check your facts before you throw your toys out of the pram and start screaming to mummy that you're being picked on.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-02-12-13-49-43-155.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	286208  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 20:00   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There you go.
Except you said said that in-water hull hull cleaning was illegal in all states (including Washington.) It is not illegal in Washington. Can you clean ablative paints in Washinton? No. Can you clean all other types? Yes. Therefore in-water hull cleaning is not illegal in Washington. But nice try
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 20:02   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
This is hilarious, I am not the sharpest nail in the pack. But a two minute google search found the relevant links to Washington law and there's even a flyer for those who are mentally challenged and need a visual clue that what they're doing is wrong.
Some of you need to check your facts before you throw your toys out of the pram and start screaming to mummy that you're being picked on.
Cheers
You might want to actually read the "flyer" and what it says.
Old 11-02-2024, 20:17   #19

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Except you said said that in-water hull hull cleaning was illegal in all states (including Washington.) It is not illegal in Washington. Can you clean ablative paints in Washinton? No. Can you clean all other types? Yes. Therefore in-water hull cleaning is not illegal in Washington. But nice try
In water cleaning/scraping of ablative paints in Wa. State is illegal...$10k fine.
What part of that eludes you?
"therefore in-water hull cleaning is not illegal in Wa"
Interesting logic...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 20:23   #20

Quote:
Cheers
You should know better than attempting to use facts and logic old dog...
Old 11-02-2024, 20:26   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing55 View Post
In water cleaning/scraping of ablative paints in Wa. State is illegal...$10k fine.
What part of that eludes you?
"therefore in-water hull cleaning is not illegal in Wa"
Interesting logic...
I could go to Washington and legally clean any boat that had paint that wasn't ablative. Therefore in-water hull cleaning is not illegal in Washington. What part of that don't you understand?
Old 11-02-2024, 20:42   #22

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sailing 55 I know, I can't help but chuckle to myself. What I wonder is do the marinas in Washington just have a blanket ban on any hulls being cleaned in their marinas? I know ablative paint usually leaves a cloud in the water but some dirty hulls with hard antifoul leave a fair cloud when being scrubbed anyway and all it would take is a few photos from a passerby and the boat owner getting a please explain from the local authorities.
That was how our local boatyard was caught. There was some obvious dust pollution in the water and a passerby took some photos and forwarded them to the authorities. Now the boatyard is so strict about everything just to make sure they don't get fined again.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 20:44   #23

Quote:
I could go to Washington and legally clean any boat that had paint that wasn't ablative. Therefore in-water hull cleaning is not illegal in Washington. What part of that don't you understand?

You said in water hull cleaning is not illegal in any US state. In water cleaning of ablative paint is still hull cleaning, and it IS illegal in Wa.
So please come on up here and clean the bottom of my boat in the water...oh, and bring $10k of your hard earned cash.
You will no doubt keep trying to spin this discussion, so I've said my piece...just trying to present facts for people that may not have an understanding of the topic.
Old 11-02-2024, 20:50   #24

Quote:
Sailing 55 I know, I can't help but chuckle to myself. What I wonder is do the marinas in Washington just have a blanket ban on any hulls being cleaned in their marinas? I know ablative paint usually leaves a cloud in the water but some dirty hulls with hard antifoul leave a fair cloud when being scrubbed anyway and all it would take is a few photos from a passerby and the boat owner getting a please explain from the local authorities.
That was how our local boatyard was caught. There was some obvious dust pollution in the water and a passerby took some photos and forwarded them to the authorities. Now the boatyard is so strict about everything just to make sure they don't get fined again.
Cheers
Good to chat with you again...in this part of the world you are allowed to clean in water any paint that does not create a visible cloud or particles of toxins. The divers (except fastbottoms) will not touch any boat that has ablative paint. And Dept. of Ecology does not take prisoners!
Old 11-02-2024, 21:00   #25

Quote:
I know our resident Sheldon asked a similar thing, but my question is does anyone still beach their boat and paint antifoul on it while beached?
In my local area of Queensland one boat, I surveyed years ago had been beached then two plus years of growth removed and new antifoul applied. The guy got badly harassed (local businessman public phone number) and never did it again and was not fined. Last year I was taken to a remote beach by a client, and he had completely repainted the hull and deck of his catamaran while on the beach. The area was remote enough that it was out of the public eye so he could get away with it. Our local boatyard was recently fined a 5-figure sum for environmental breaches, so the laws are there I am just not sure how often they are applied to individuals.
When answering this question try and keep your toys in the pram. I know it's bad for the environment, but I just wonder if it is still a thing that's done anywhere?
Cheers
To answer your question, yes I watched a guy paint his bottom after tiding out. He held his full keel sailboat up with what he called "sheer legs"...two stout poles lashed to the rails and set on pads on the sand. I would love to do something like that, but with my luck I would wind up on the evening news!
Old 11-02-2024, 21:01   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing55 View Post
You said in water hull cleaning is not illegal in any US state. In water cleaning of ablative paint is still hull cleaning, and it IS illegal in Wa.
Since the in-water cleaning of hard (and other) paints is not illegal in Washington, how is is it illegal to clean boat bottoms in Washington?
Old 11-02-2024, 21:26   #27

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
........ What I wonder is do the marinas in Washington just have a blanket ban on any hulls being cleaned in their marinas?.......
Both marinas in my town (Port Townsend) have a blanket ban on in-water hull cleaning.

I think this is a good rule, but it sucks for me because I do not use ANY kind of toxic bottom paint. This forces me to do my frequent scrubbing either from the dinghy (outside of the marina) or when drying out on a beach.

And I will not be surprised if someone puts a stop my beach scrubbing sometime in the near future. Last time I did it, someone freaked-out and called the Coast Guard with the belief that my boat was in peril. The Coast Guard just called a local salvage dude who happened to be in sight of me, who told them that there was no problem (salvage dude then came over for a visit while I was scrubbing).
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 02:05   #28
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What is illegal in some US states is scraping the hull in the water. The thing divers do for a fee.
Quote:
Except you said said that in-water hull hull cleaning was illegal in all states (including Washington.)
You can write that but it means that you are very confused or simply lying on purpose and thinking we have no brains to remember what we actually wrote.

You are twisting and spinning everything like a politician

Edit: you were calling with your buddies in Maine and would be posting citations on law that forbids private boat owners to paint antifouling on a tide grid. You must have forgotten to post them but we’re all eagerly awaiting your authoritative info …

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 02:34   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... In-water hull cleaning is not illegal in any U.S. state.
“It is illegal to perform underwater cleaning of hulls that have soft, toxic coatings.” ~ Washington State
https://ecology.wa.gov/getattachment.../HULLflyer.pdf

“Hull cleaning resulting in a visible paint plume is prohibited, In Marina del Rey” ~ Los Angeles County
https://beaches.lacounty.gov/hull-cleaning/
See also ➥ https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water...s/docs/faq.pdf

Regarding "Best Practices":

“Underwater Ship Husbandry Discharges” ~ US EPA
https://www3.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/vgp_hull_husbandry.pdf

“Voluntary Guidance for Relevant Authorities on In-Water Cleaning of Vessels” ~ Transport Canada
https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...ssels#_8.__How
pdf ➥ https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/f...ng-vessels.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 06:28   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You both are being specious. Your obvious infrence is that as a rule, in-waterhull cleaning is illegal in Washington state. This is simply untrue. Yes, there is a ban on cleaning boats that use a particular type of paint. But boats there that are painted with anything other than an ablative paint can be, and are, cleaned while in the water.

I think you are bandying words intentionally, knowing full well that a restriction on cleaning ablative paints does not mean that in-water hull cleaning in general is illegal.