Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 01:56   #1

Need Some Advice - PNW

Hi everybody. I'm in a bit of a dilemma and need some advice.

I bought an old steel project boat. It looks rough as hell, not quite Kalakala rough... but rough. S.V. Oceana

I need to haul the boat so I can decide if I am going to fix her or take out the yanmar etc and scrap her.

THe boat's currently in Swantown Marina in Olympia and they want it gone. , I live in Fed Way so OLY is pretty inconvienient. My plan was going to be to haul it for winter storage @ hylebos in Tacoma, but the guy there was kind of rude and told me that due to the boats age he wouldn't even haul her. So plan B was the swantown yard, but it will cost a little over a grand all said and done to do that. I just got a $700 paycheck and Swantown marina took $350.

So where can I put this thing for a month or two that I can get into for only a few hundred or free until my building sells??
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 04:12   #2

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Re: need some advice PNW

Hylebos acted like that towards me a couple of years ago when I asked him about splashing a boat I was considering buying in Fed Way. Obviously more interested in being a dick than a business man.

It has been my experience that keeping a boat on the hard is more expensive than keeping it in the water. If I were you I would be looking at yards that cater to commercial fishing boats. There are always some boats on the hard at Port Angeles. Looks like they have been there a while.

There are some inexpensive marinas going out towards browns point in Tacoma On Marine View DR.

Good Luck
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 18:23   #3

Re: need some advice PNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Hylebos acted like that towards me a couple of years ago when I asked him about splashing a boat I was considering buying in Fed Way. Obviously more interested in being a dick than a business man.

It has been my experience that keeping a boat on the hard is more expensive than keeping it in the water. If I were you I would be looking at yards that cater to commercial fishing boats. There are always some boats on the hard at Port Angeles. Looks like they have been there a while.

There are some inexpensive marinas going out towards browns point in Tacoma On Marine View DR.

Good Luck
Thanks, I did check at the two notorious vagabond places: tyee and Crow's nest.

THere was nobody at Crow's and the lady @ tyee was nice, but they want first, last and 300k insurance. I dunno if that's doable with the condition the boat's in at the moment. I think I'm gonna have to anchor her @ Quartermaster for a while and see what shakes out.
Old 22-09-2011, 18:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Need Some Advice - PNW

You should be able to get liability, only, insurance on the boat without a survey. The yard is concerned about it catching on fire or otherwise damaging other boats and could care less about your boat as long as you pay the rent.

Depending on how long you expect the boat to be out of the water, might want to look at a storage place that's not near the water. Trucking charges will have to be figured in but the monthly charges should be way cheaper.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 23:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You should be able to get liability, only, insurance on the boat without a survey. The yard is concerned about it catching on fire or otherwise damaging other boats and could care less about your boat as long as you pay the rent.

Depending on how long you expect the boat to be out of the water, might want to look at a storage place that's not near the water. Trucking charges will have to be figured in but the monthly charges should be way cheaper.
Yeah, I considered that as well, but I know myself, and if I pull the masts the boat won't be usable til it's back together perfect with new carbon or Aluminium spars, and that will be *FOREVER* til I can afford it

Ideally I'd like to put the thing in my yard, keep my building and rent it out like a flop house. but financially things aren't working out too well at the moment, so I think I need to just sell the building, and take a big chunk of the proceeds and restore the ole girl.
Old 23-09-2011, 10:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Your jumping around too much to make a plan. Plenty of haul out places that allow you to do your own work around here. How sailable is she? There are places to anchor out around Federal Way. Finally, if you are going to recycle her- I will give you a good price on the winches....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 17:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Your jumping around too much to make a plan. Plenty of haul out places that allow you to do your own work around here. How sailable is she? There are places to anchor out around Federal Way. Finally, if you are going to recycle her- I will give you a good price on the winches....
Yeah, I know I'm in too fluid a mood to make any sort of plan. The house is for sale, I have an offer, I don;t "want" to sell yada yada yada.

There's plenty of places, but so far to haul out and go into winter storage at swantown was $1,100 which I simply don't have. 300 haul, 279 first month and last month, 120 pressure wash and a few other misc fees.

Hylebos basically told me to F off.

Boat is too big for Zittel's

So where can I haul the boat and work on it without giving them my first born as collateral up-front?
Old 23-09-2011, 19:25   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

What's it's displacement?
And is the hull sound enough to pick up with a fork truck?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2152.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	32004  
Old 23-09-2011, 19:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What's it's displacement?
And is the hull sound enough to pick up with a fork truck?

Hmmmmmmm.

I "think" the hull is sound

It's 36' 1/4" steel. The Documentation says 15 tons, which seems quite a bit light to me.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:01   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I would have said Dagmar's in Everett but their max load is 25,000#. If you had it trucked in from the Port of Everett they would probably take it. There's a 14 ton beast sitting next to mine.
Dagmar's Marina 425-259-6124

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	project3.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	32019  
Old 24-09-2011, 09:09   #11

15 tons on the document doesnt relate to the displacement of the boat. That's a crude cubic measurement of the volume of the boat... Seems to me you need to decide if you're going to scrap it or not. If you are, then remove your stuff and let the yard whose kicking you out deal with it! Or just tell them you cant remove it right now, but you'll make a plan to get it out next year.. If your paying your fees then they cant bitch too much.... once it's in quartermaster harbor for a couple years rusting and leaking you'll never salvage anything.... and we'd all rather have it polluting their yard than the harbor!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote