Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2007, 23:58   #1

My New Project

I have agreed to take a 47 foot long sailboat hull. That is designed by Bruce Bingham. And I am getting it for free.

The old man who built her. Developed symptoms from asbesto exposure. And his health started failing. So he tried to sale her off. And nobody bought her. He tried to cut her up. He could not do it. Too strong for home tools.

He then tried to give her away. Nobody took her.

Then my friend talked to him. And he told him that I was interested in her. He said fine. He wanted to see her go to a person who is serious enough to finish her off. And take her sailing.

I posted a couple of photos in the photo gallery. This is what she looks like presently. And she has been laying her her starboard side for more than 3 years. She is made out of wire mesh and ferrolite. A very strong composite material.

The boat was originally designed to be a ferrocement boat. But this owner did not like the idea of ferrocement. So he came up with ferrolite. And built it with that material.

For me. This is the boat size that I wanted. And if I can get this poor hull, and complete her. It would make me very happy. And it would provide me times on the open sea. And a future home as well.

Wish me luck guys!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 00:37   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Captain K,
Good luck on your new found project.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 00:43   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Captain K...I will not wish you luck. I will wish you determination. I have built 2 steel boats and refurbished 3 F/G boats. Most of them actually became something. It takes a lot of will power and determination to take on what your going to do. Let the journey begin!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 02:19   #4

Boat: Trawler
Thumbs up

Quote:
My New Project
Yes! and quite the the project it will be with your skills. Can't wait to see the finished project It should really be a quiet boat!

Yours Aye!
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 03:40   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
That is what you call a "Project". Good luck man. Keep us posted on your progress.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 08:02   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
From a Catalina 27 to a fero 47. Don't forget that the price of parts go up geometrically (sp?). Put another way the difference in price between new running rigging on a 35' boat was 1/2 the cost of replacing rigging on my 41' boat.

Beware of what you dream for. You might just get it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 09:03   #7
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Don't forget that the price of parts go up geometrically (sp?).
Exponentially!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 09:10   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
I stand corrected

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 11:21   #9

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
Quite a few years ago, when I was looking for my first nontrailerable sail boat, I met a salesman who sold for Yacht Constructors Inc.. This is the firm that made and sold untold numbers of kit boats in all stages of completition known as Cascade 27,29,36, and 42s. The allure of buying a hull and deck package and finishing the boat to my specifications had great appeal so I zeroed in on the Cascade 29.

This was prior to the internet and and my first PC. I spent hours and hours pricing all of the bits and pieces and estimating the time it would take me to do the project. I talked to owners about their experience building the dream ship and got the good and the bad of doing such a project. I lived in Portland, OR, the home of Cascade Yachts,at the time was a good salesman should Stu, followed up on a regular basis offering assistance. It wasn't long before Stu started showing me incompleted projects at various stages and quality of materials and workmanship. On day Stue phone and told me of a factory finished 29 that had come on the market. I'll never forget Stu's line that closed me on the purchase of this beautifuly finished boat. "You know there are basically two types of sailors those who sail and enjoy the wind in the sails and the motion of the boat through the water and those who enjoy the process of building a boat. Life is short and only a very few ever get to enjoy both".

Fair winds and enjoy the journey.

Hglad
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 12:32   #10

Thanks everyone.

Charlie.

That is not a ferro boat. I said that it was originally designed "to be" a ferrocement boat.

But the previous owner decided to use ferralite instead. Ferralite is "not" cement. But a compound like substance. And mixed together with resin and hardener, just like working with fiberglass.

There is fiberglass on the very outer layer of this hull. If you look at the two photos I posted on my photo gallery. It clearly shows fiberglass sheets on the outer hull. But underneath that is the wire mesh and ferralite.

I have seen a sample piece of what the owner saved, for show and tell. And I tell you. This hull was made very well. The materials he chosed was something he put a lot of thought into it. And like I said. He did not want to build a ferrocement sailboat. He was against ferrocement!!

Yeah. Determination. That is something I "might" not have enough of? I am still thinking this project very carefully over in my mind. And I do not really think that I should take this project on. Honestly thinking?!!

There is a lot of work that needs to be done. In order before I could put that hull into the water as completed!! Money and time is my biggest issue. And I am in this project totally alone here.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 24-03-2007, 14:04   #11
cruiser

I'm very happy for you Captain K! Great find. Only one thought that is less than positive.:

Did the owner get sick from working the ferrolite?

Yeah, I sound like somebody's mom, but I want you to stay safe working on it. Use a mask.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 14:09   #12

No Sean.

The old man used to work in a shipyard back in the day. That is how he got his exposure to asbestos.

That is what made him sick. And he had to give up building on the boat. Due to a weakening state of health.

The last time I seen him in person. 3 years ago last December. He was walking around just fine. And my old friend was talking to him last month. So I think he is doing fine.

Old 24-03-2007, 14:21   #13
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
boy-o-boy-o-boy-o-boy-o-boy

CaptainK! You wild man! That's some project you've got ahead of you. Here's a link to a site that describes in great detail what it takes to put a boat together.

THE BIG SAILBOAT PROJECT

These two girls are doing it all themselves and are totally amazing in what they've learned and are able to do. You won't be much interested in the welding of a steel hull but all the preparation and layout work that goes into it is invaluable. I think the've been at it for almost 5 years with another to go! They're currently outfitting the accomodations. You should spend a few hours and read every page. It'll help you put your project in perspective.

Wish I lived closer I'd jump right in and help you "Git 'er done!" Wohoo!

When you're ready I'll help you set up a project spreadsheet like I did for our trawler. It's a great planning tool to organize your materials and boy-o-boy you're gonna need a lot of materials!

Good Luck Buddy!

Rickster!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 14:37   #14

Thanks Rick.

I do have the blueprints. In two large wooden binders, that the previous builder had made.

One thing I have to do for these blueprints. These are the original blueprints, that were made 36 years ago. I need to go to Kinko's, and have another set made up.

Yeah. A spreadsheet would be very cool!! But how do you go about making one up for me? And how do you that? Since I am not even in the same country as you?

Yeah. If I were closer. You are more than welcome to join in and help me out. Hell!! If you and your wife decide to come out to the west coast of the US. You are welcome to drop on by and check on this project in person.

But!! I am still not 100% sure that I will go along with this project though? My latest figures. (Thanks to Alan Wheeler) That it will take at least $60,000 USD. And at that would take at least 10 years or less. Till that boat goes into the water. All because I am building this alone.

On the other hand. If I don't give a rat's *ss about all the fine details. I will just throw it together. And rush it to the sea a lot faster. Like I already said in a earlier post under the steering ram posts. I do not care what people would think of the boat. As long as it is painted. Well kept up. And can sail off over the horizon.

I don't care about the interior of the boat. As long as there is a head with shower. A few beds. A table with settees to eat my meals. And watch TV or have conversations with people. And a full size kitchen at my disposal. That's all I care about?!!

I am not afraid of building a sailboat out of steel. Hell!! If I had it my way. I would still, build a sailboat out of steel. I love steel sailboats!!

Thanks for your imput Rick. And I will check out that website link.

Old 24-03-2007, 14:50   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Top down analysis...

If I remember my rather short career in computers there are two types of analysis. Top down and bottom up.

When you look at your hull you are doing bottom up analysis. That is you are looking at the collection of parts needed to get a boat and working out how to put them together.

However top down analysis is just as important. This is where you imagine what the finished product will look like and how it would be used.

I would urge you to do this.

In particular remember that this is a 10+ year project. You will be 10+ years older and will have spent more than the cost of a good secondhand boat on your project.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote