Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 04:48   #16

Re: moody 44 1995 Keel Bolts

When we bought our '95 Moody 44 the bilge looked like the aforementioned bilge, discolored from rust on the keelboats & nuts. But dry. After we began using the boat (meaning, using the equipment and actually spending time aboard) the bilge had water in it. So, first thing was to test the water: fresh or salt? It was fresh. That's GOOD! (It's not leaking.)
Found the source to be condensate from the Air Conditioners (2). This is a typical source of water in the 44's bilge (and many other boats, as well). Submersible pumps, of course, never totally eliminate it, so the bolts live in fresh water as long as the AC's are running.
After determining the source and drying the bilge, I followed the advice of others in the Moody Owner's Assoc. who had the same problem: clean the bolts and nuts (a few were pretty well corroded but still had some amount of thread) and remove any loose 5200 caulk which the factory had originally coated them with (to prevent corrosion - nice try!).
Then paint with Rustoleum or Hammerite. I also detailed the rest of the area and painted it all.
The bolts and nuts are solid. That keel has NEVER leaked so much as a single drop. Even after some extremely rough conditions and real tests!
I was able to eliminate the condensate from the forward AC but the aft unit still produces water into the bilge. Two years later (and over 8,000 miles, mostly at sea) and living aboard (meaning, using the AC's) I'm seeing a little rust returning and will clean and paint again.
As with most of the advice above, I suggest leaving them alone (certainly, clean and paint) but do NOT think of replacing them!
In the '80's a Moody sailboat lost it's keel. Moody studied and re-engineered the cause. As a result, I believe them to be over-engineered and most importantly
- safe. The steel they use is the best for the job. NEVER replace with SS, as indicated above.
Same old thing: maintenance, or lack thereof.
CPYB Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 07:52   #17

Boat: Moody 44
Send a message via Skype™ to winckyst

Hi!
always good to read more about your own problems!
we bought our 1995 moody 44 in spain just 2 months ago.
we are in water already one month since then.
big refit was done on board and the main issue was the replace of the 14 keel bolts nuts and plates.as you said, bilge was dry but not much left from the steel down there.attached few shoots.
it was expensuve job to do but wuth marine project advice, we moved on to complite the job.now all is brand new high end steel (not S/S !!!) all capsolaited with gel coat.the job took place for ten days,pluse all new sea cocks,new color and new rig as well.
any idea what the use of the 10mm S/S bolt right under fuel tank?
this was the only one in good condition....
3 new batteris for service and enigne 115amp, and one new for bow trust 225amp.
we do have strange condensation from the frige though......and so you're right:the only water in the bilge are sweet water (which is good and bad!).
Original fuel and water tank gauge are not function. any advice for me?
next week we will install the black water tank 60 litter under front cabin bed port side.
longer anchor chain (70meter) and Taraga frame on stern.
we like to sell our davits which are insall now if you're intresting please let us know!!!
keep in touch-we like to move on now from Spain-just don't know where!
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEEL6.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	47407   Click image for larger version

Name:	davits-adv.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	47408  

Name:	water gauge1.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	47409   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel-guage1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	47410  

Name:	SSB_7291.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	47411   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSB_7456.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	47412  

winckyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 17:30   #18

Our boat is currently for sale. With some reluctance.
If you'd like to correspond, can we do a PM? I'm happy to relate anything I can.
1995 Moody 44 For Sale
CPYB Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 18:49   #19

Duplex 2205 is a great choice for Keel Bolts I think to avoid Crevice Corrosion, Steel and 316 Stainless really isn't up to it.
jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel