Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 09:51   #1

Keel bolt replacement

I have bought a Tartan 38 1878 model sailboat that had 8 bolts added (11/8") to replace older corroded bolts(10 -1") .
The way they were installed were with 3" windows cut in the side of the lead keel and then epoxy filled.
If the bolts were installed in the proper positions and locations is this a safe replacement, not to just add some bolts but to replace all bolts with this method?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Allanlowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:21   #2

Boat: Dragon
Re: Keel bolt replacement

The window method is a perfectly safe way to replace keel bolts. The alternative would be to tap larger holes but the potential for opening a large can o' worms is substantial...
If using stainless remember that the bolt heads need to be sealed in resin as well.
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 23:07   #3

Thank you Duct Tape,
Your opinion is shared by both Mars and a well known Naval Architect from Long Beach Ca. I have come to find out!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Allanlowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 00:37   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

IMHO I would think they should be OK as long as there is plenty of material between the top & sides of the keel to take the stress of a extremely hard grounding. Especially the front ones. Lead is soft and will mushroom. So if you have a grounding I would check the tightness shortly after.

Another thing you could do is add a 3/8" SS plate under the bolt heads/nuts that are as large as the windows.

Tags
keel, men