Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13   #1

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Houston/Galveston Fuel Tank Cleaning Service - Suggestions?

I pulled the diesel tank out of the Starwind last weekend. There was around 12 gallons of age-unknown diesel sitting in it. It was pretty black and sludgey at the bottom. It does seem to have baffles inside, and I'd rather not cut big access holes in it to clean it out. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Houston/Galveston area that does this?

I'm also looking for a local source for Westerbeke parts and filters, etc. We're hoping to have everything cleaned and oiled to see if it will start on Labor Day, but unless I can get this tank cleaned and find someone who carries these filters, I'm stuck waiting on mail-order.

Thanks for any help.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:51   #2

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
What marina are you in?

I'd use a hi-press steam cleaner with nozzle directly threaded to the hose (wand removed). ***BE VERY CAREFUL!!*** I have had experience with this method with large tankage and the hose can get out of hand VERY easily. YOU CAN GET SCALDED so use caution.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:18   #3

The boat's in Marina Del Sol, but the tank's now sitting in my garage in Spring, so I'm not adverse to taking it anywhere in town that does a good job.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:37   #4

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Capacity of the tank? If it's small enuf might just use a big pot of boiling water with a bit of dawn and slosh the heck out of it. Rental press washer or steam press washer would still be better tho. Rinse thoroughly, wet vac the residual water, and set out in the sun (tank opening up) and let it dry out. Now the rinsate and/or tank "bottoms" containment and disposal will be an issue. Most of the "Tank Cleaning Services" are going to relate to septic or chemical plant(hydroblasting).
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58   #5

Is it really ok to use water in the tank? I'm worried it will never all come out of there.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48   #6

(How big is the tank?) tilt the tank and wetvac out the residual. The water seperators will remove what few drops remain. Or stick a paper towel in and swab it out..
Old 02-09-2009, 13:00   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
The inspection port I put in mine was worth every bit of trouble it was to put it in. I can now open it and have a LOOK at the tank. A whole lot better than guessing about what is going on in the tank and I can actually put a vacuum hose inside to slurp out any water that I might leave after cleaning. I shouldn't need to clean it for another few years but I can. My port is a screw in plastic 4" available at West Marine for about $20 The tank holds 18gallons. Enough for several years worth of motoring with the Yanmar...........m
Old 02-09-2009, 17:02   #8

Exclamation No Port? No Dice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Capacity of the tank? If it's small enuf might just use a big pot of boiling water with a bit of dawn and slosh the heck out of it. Rental press washer or steam press washer would still be better tho. Rinse thoroughly, wet vac the residual water, and set out in the sun (tank opening up) and let it dry out. Now the rinsate and/or tank "bottoms" containment and disposal will be an issue. Most of the "Tank Cleaning Services" are going to relate to septic or chemical plant(hydroblasting).
Jetexas, Whoa hold on there.. No Inspection port? Don't do it! this solution is predicated on you having easy internal access.
Old 02-09-2009, 19:09   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
this is not a big deal, you have the tank out of the boat. fill with a few gallons of hot water, lots of soap, agitate, rinse, repeat as desired. The water can be poured out of the 1.5" fill neck. to dry the tank just leave in the sun or fill with alcohol and leave in the sun. A little water won't hurt a thing, in fact you'll have more water from filling up at certain pumps. The water that might remain will be collected by the fuel filter. If you're really concerned about it I'll put a cup of water in my fuel and take it back out of the filter in a week. I'm also in marina del sol
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:18   #10

Here's the tank.

I just couldn't even get all of the old diesel to pour out of it, so I was worried the water and detergent would never come out. I guess I can remove the float/sender unit if I need more access inside.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:23   #11

Seeing your pix reminds me.. how did the cruiseair repair come out?

Tank: tell ya what, Get some Gunk brand engine degreaser (2-3 cans) and hose it down inside. You can pull the sending unit also. Spray down every open orifice. Swirl it around to loosen the crud. Let sit for a bit. You said it got sludge (bottoms) in the tank? Unless you liquify it, it ain't coming out easy (no inspection port)but that's a small tank. Make sure and shake hell out of it, coat the baffles etc. Get out as much as you can and repeat with a little gasoline. Empty. Now look it over good and repeat Gunk process if necessary. That stuff cleans almost anything. If i remember right Gunk should be just naptha. If so, you can get larger quantities at your local hardware or paint store.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:44   #12

I've got plenty of degreaser in the garage. I like the Castrol brand. I'll start with that tonight.

Unfortunately last week I had little time and even less motivation, so no progress on the Cruisair. It's still sitting completely disassembled in my garage. I was leaning towards throwing it out until I found out how much they cost. Then I felt really dumb for throwing away the moldy looking register fixture instead of cleaning it since those are $50 new. I'm going to take one more look at it when I get time, but the goal for this week is to get the cabin floor cut and installed, then get the fuel tank back in, so we can start playing with the Westerbeke.
Old 03-09-2009, 13:17   #13

Well, don't chuck it, I want dibs! I bet a cap and/or a generic motor for the squirrel cage and it's good as new. Heck the cap is only 6-10 bucks....and I can be there in 3 hours!
Old 03-09-2009, 13:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Well, don't chuck it, I want dibs! I bet a cap and/or a generic motor for the squirrel cage and it's good as new. Heck the cap is only 6-10 bucks....and I can be there in 3 hours!
It's not the cost of the motor. It's the fact that the fins on the condensors are so deteriorated that if you gently touch them with your finger, they flake apart and fall like snow. I'll keep you posted though.
Old 03-09-2009, 13:59   #15

Just for grins, check this out.
Aftermarket AC Condensers - Super Flow, Serpentine and tube and fin
What size fits u?

Tags
cleaning, diesel, fuel, fuel tank, houston, parts, service, tanks