Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 05:17   #1

Boat: Passport 41-Touche'
Height for Haulout

I am having a radar arch built with a wind generator pole. The fabricator wants to permanently weld the pole on the arch making the pole 10-11 feet off the water. Will this make the haulouts around the country difficult, or are they used to these height appendages on the stern. The boat is a 41 boot monohull.Thanks
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Have them permanently weld a pin on to the arch, over which your removable pipe turbine mast fits (pin & sleeve joint).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:23   #3

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
We have a ketch, so there is a real height appendage on my stern . . .
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:45   #4

Boat: CS 36t
I would agree with gord that it should be removable and the type of joint will work quite well (we use that joint for davits). Another option would be to have 2 flat plates, one permanently on the arch and the other with the pole that have 4 bolts that you can undo to take it off. While it is unlikely that you will need to remove it often, if you don't make it removable, you will end up cutting it off at some point.

The times where I could see the height being a problem are: winter cover, OTR trucking, going under bridges where you mast needs to be down.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
10 or 11 feet should not be a problem with a Travelift suitable to haul your boat. You might have to remove the generator from the pole but the pole should not be a problem. Mine is about 12 feet above the water and I just take the generator down when I haul. My boat is 39 feet. A wind generator needs as solid a mount as possible, a pin and sleeve set-up might rattle a bit when the wind gets up and the generator starts really spinning. You will not be able to guy this short section to prevent movement as the generator has to have the top 3 or four feet clear so that it can turn with the wind. Go with the permanent mount. You can check out my set-up in the pictures section of this site.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:35   #6

Our radar is probably 12~14 off the water? It is a solid mount and we never take it down for hauling. Remember the boat is only in the travel lift part way, the bow and stern hang over the ends.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
haul out heigth

You dont really say what type of boat it is and what the draft is..
On ours, the draft is 8'6".. and it has become a problem to haul our boat..
We have on ocassion, pulled it from the front by removing the forestay..but ours is cutter rigged..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0717_copy.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	16031  
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 13:40   #8

Boat: Passport 41-Touche'
The boat is a passport 41 with about 6 foot draft. I think I will feel better if I design a removable pole. Seems doable with some thought. I don't want to have to remove the headstay everytime I want to haul the boat. Thanks guys for your comments.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:17   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
The height of anything on the aft section of your boat shouldn't be a problem in a travellift unless you pull in stern first. Travellifts are generally open on one end to allow masts to pull in.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27   #10

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
The height of anything on the aft section of your boat shouldn't be a problem in a travellift unless you pull in stern first. Travellifts are generally open on one end to allow masts to pull in.
They are open on one end but pulling them from the rear allows more of the boat to be centered in the lift as its further up the boat to the backstay than it is from the front to the forestay.
Because of our limmited clearance over the back of the boat, we have to find a tall lift or pick from the front and remove the forestay to allow the weight of the motor to be within the lifting area..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote