Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2012, 22:05   #31

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36
Re: Head liner replacement help

Grant is totally correct. When we used the contact cement, it was outdoors in our back yard. Also, don't use contact cement in your garage with the door down or in your basement - if your hotwater heater is located there, it can explosively ignite the fumes.

Other things of interest that I saw done were draining gasoline fuel tanks into the bilge to clean out the gunk in them - and then turning on the bilge pump because of the rising bilge level from all the gasoline.

It didn't take long before the fuel in the bilge, as well as the huge spill on the water's surface from the discharged gasoline, ignited.

This caused one death and destroyed 6 yachts and a large amount of docks.

You can't say yachties aren't creative....

Safe sailing! Doug Brown
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:58   #32

Re: Head Liner Replacement Help

A little off thread, but I did a fill in job for an engineer of a big motor yacht who was cleaning engine parts with some kind of solvent (in the engine room) when it went off. He was lucky that his back was to the explosion, so he didnt loose his eyesight. He was flown to a Miami burn center for a long treatment. VENTILATE, VENTILATE , VENTILATE._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 15:05   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Head Liner Replacement Help

When I was in high school, the football team had piled up a bonfire from scrap wood for a homecoming game. Apparently some enthusiastic soul had poured a couple of gallons of gasoline, or diesel, or no one knows what, on the pile. And then after a few hours in the sunlight, some other rahrah poured some more fuel on the bonfire.

When they threw the torch in to light it, the fireball was six stories tall. The quarterback was hit by a chair that launched off the top of the pile.

I think the six story fireball, from a pile with no real odor or warning, probably is one reason I have a healthy respect for things like gasoline, that are SUPPOSED to GO BOOM.

Yeah yeah, you put a cigarette out in kerosene, and anyone with an old car will tell you how gasoline has to be mixed just right or it won't combust...Six stories tall, luck of the draw, no thankee.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head